Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 07:49 AM

4 posts, read 8,289 times

Advertisements

Where would you guys say would be the best place to live around the Denver area to meet the following.

Fairly close to denver and shopping, good eating, things to do etc etc, so not too rural.

Want a nice area that has a newer feel to it

Need space wherever the house would be located for possibly a small hanger or large workshop where trailers, some light heavy equipment, cars, 4wheelers, boat etc could go in to. So obviously it could not be a packed in subdivision with lots of HOA rules etc.

I know that is not going to be super cheap but also i am not going to spend millions on an estate etc.

Where do you guys think would be a good area to meet some of this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:55 AM

291 posts, read 911,275 times
What do you mean "hanger"? Are talking about an actual hanger or something that size?

Old 04-24-2009, 11:50 AM

Well not an actual hanger, I do not have a plane or anything, but a house that already has a large garage or shop that has a commercial door so i can put in a lifted truck trailers etc, probably something about 5000 sq ft jut in a garage with tall enough ceilings for a car lift to work on hobbies at the house. I think i care more about the garage than i do about that house. I will be visiting denver next week to scout things out.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
I'm thinking your only option will be living on the eastern plains immediately east or northeast of the Denver metro area-- near towns like Watkins, Bennett, Strasburg (east on I-70), out on I-76 towards Fort Morgan, or US-85 near Greeley.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,490,659 times
we can help you more if you tell us what is your price range and where will you be working?
No sense telling you about areas across town from where you will be working. Since Denver is over 75 miles wide from the outer suburbs to the opposite outer suburbs, the commute can kill you if you are not careful

The western side of the city is out unless you have a huge bankroll. The closer to the mountains, the higher the cost. This higher cost land stretches the entire front range from Colorado Springs up to Ft Collins. Mountain views are in high demand and hold a 2x premium.
If you want to go to the south east side of Denver then you can find what you are looking for in Eastern Parker or eastern Aurora. Unlike the "flat" northern half of Denver, the southeast is rolling hills.
You can get a place on a few acres with a workshop 20 minutes from suburbia central for as little as 450k. It may not be "brand new" but you can fix it up to your likings. Go a little east to northern Elizabeth and you can get newer construction in the same price range. You will be on the plains however, not much in the way of trees. If you want a similar place in the same area with Ponderosa pines, tack on a few hundred thousand more. Head 10 miles south a to Elizabeth and Franktown and you are in 100 year old pine forests. You are still only 20 minutes from suburbia, but you are now an hour drive from downtown. Frank town is a bit closer to town, but it costs about 20-30% higher than elizabeth.

The only problem you are going to face is your "non rural " requirement. You will not find places that allow out buildings in non rural locations unless you go into equestrian communities. It all depends on your budget. If you want to drop 750k you can find something relatively close in (20 miles from downtown).

Nav

Old 04-24-2009, 02:53 PM

work will not be an issue as it will be out of state so it is not location related. I would like to have some decent views not just all flat plains but without spending a ridiculous amount. I think that about 700k would be the cap unless it was perfect and needed no work.

I dont want to also be in an area that is all about the name or what subdivision you live in etc, i like it more understated but being near to things is key, i guess i am just looking for a perfect mix of everything.

I also do not need tons of acreage, i just need something that either has that building or space and ability to build one

Old 04-24-2009, 02:55 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times
Near the city with lot's of space and not too expensive.

These three things don't work together.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:03 PM

well that is what i am trying to find out. What options I have and what locations are going to be realistic for my goals. This will be my first time visiting and I do not know much about the area, so just wanted to get a few pointers so when i get there I do not waste to much time in areas thatI know for sure will not work

Old 04-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,490,659 times
Given your requirements, I would recommend looking at Castle Rock, Larkspur, Franktown or Sedalia.
These all put you within 20 minutes of shops and 40 minutes to the edge of the City.

Avoid the tract housing and you can find a good selection of 1-5 acre parcels that have room for a shop. I wouldn't necessarily call the areas rural, but more like nice houses owned by working professionals on larger pieces of land.

Here is where I would look:

Sedalia: almost anywhere as long as you are not in the mountains. In the mountains, you will find a more rural feel. Its the priciest, but you can get good views. Stay near hwy 85 or 105.

Castle Rock: Look on the southern portion of Castle Rock. On the west side of 25, look south of Wolfensberger road. There are a lot of nice places there that would fit your needs. You can also look in Bell Mountain estates. Bell mountain is east of 25, south of town. Its more of a community, but it has the larger parcels of land. Its about 3 miles south of town. If you look on Google Maps, just search for "Bell Mountain Drive" and you will see the area.

Larkspur: Perry park is a nice community with larger lots. You may be able to build an outbuilding but you would have to check. It is an HOA type area so there are regulations and dues, but it is very pretty nonetheless. There are also 2 golf courses in the subdivision too.

Franktown: Look in Deer Creek, which is a community off of Russelville road south of 86, east of 83. You can find what you are looking for in there. Prices start around 450 and go up to several mill. In your price range, you can find something nice. Also on the north side of 86 there are several subdivisions that would fit the bill. Although not as nice as deer creek, they too are pine forested and several acre parcels. From Franktown, you are only a 10 minute hop to Castle Rock or Parker and 30 minutes to the outer edge of the city.

All the areas I mentioned above are not what I would call rural. You may find some horses, but livestock and other type animals are not permitted. All are in Douglas County, which is one of the best counties in the state, both in schools, infrastructure and amenities. All the places I've mentioned are not in the mountains. There are a lot of nice places in Conifer and Evergreen, but you have to be content with getting pounded by snow all throughout the winter. The areas I discussed are not in the mountains so snowfall is light and the roads are maintained (plowed) by the county. If you want the mountains, let me know and I can tell you where to look and where to avoid. The mountain communities, beautiful as they are, still have an eclectic mix of hippies, yuppies and hillbillies so you have to be careful if you are looking for a certain type of atmosphere

Hope this helps a bit.
Nav

Old 04-25-2009, 08:25 PM

22 posts, read 86,858 times
Default what I've come across while searching

Hi Jonboy,

I have been scouring Denver area real estate for a couple of years in preparation for our (as soon as we sell our house) move back. I am originally from Ft Collins, not Denver, so I've done a lot of research on the net and during trips back to visit family.

From what I've seen, I think you should check out the areas west of Denver, from western Arvada, into north/northwest Broomfield (nr 470), and into Lafayette and Erie. I have seen many properties, especially in the Erie area that sound like what you might be looking for. It doesn't seem overly unusual to find a place with a decent house, an acre or two, and some existing outbuildings like you've described for under 600K. Heck I've even seen listings for properties next to the Erie airport with actual plane hangars! Not that you need one, as you said, but they would be roomy!

The Broomfield/Erie area has all the ammenties, access to Denver and Boulder, and lovely views of the front range. You'll have to scout for a place without an HOA, but they are available. Rural and suburban seem to exist side-by-side in this area.

Good luck with your seach!

- Allkykat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver