Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 06:31 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Yeah. I agree. My thing is no region is any more racist than another and has its own share of bad people. There is no race that is immune to having racism within their own race. I've seen it firsthand. Having said that, most people in any race and any region are good, caring people. That's what I focus on, not what identity group they belong to. If you're a good person, you're my friend no matter who you are. If you're a jerk, I want nothing to do with you, no matter who you are. In my experience, at the end of the day, I think most people across the board are that way.
I think the difference is between by law/de jure and by choice/reality/de facto. The South gets the reputation it gets is because it was law for so long and that is the key component, as de facto/choice can and does occur anywhere. So, in turn, the South didn’t necessarily have to be blatant, because the law played that role, regardless of how one felt about it or not.

I’d also say that integration can and does occur across the country at different levels. There are places/neighborhoods/schools/churches that have been integrated in the Northeast, that I know of, for decades and some that aren’t. Some of this can come down to what degree as well.

I’m saying this in general and not necessarily specifically to you, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 12:04 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
A middle-class or working-class person from Massachusetts or Rhode Island is going to be, on average, much more overtly racist than any person you will ever meet in the South. Remember, most people from the American South are Protestant, and as a general rule, Protestant people tend to be more demure than Catholic people, even accounting for the implications of Scotch-Irish ancestry and Southern hospitality. You have got to be kidding me if you think white Southerners are more than racist than Italian-Americans and other “white ethnics” from the Northeast.

Several years ago, an Italian-American woman in Cheektowaga, NY was caught cursing and hollering at a black man outside of a Dollar General store on videotape. Sadly, the woman kept using the “N-word” over and over again. Of course, the video recording was posted to YouTube and blasted all over social media. That woman is a good example of the type of person I unfortunately grew up around in working class areas of Rhode Island.
Somewhere, in the interwebs, there is a video of a southerner being racist. You're gonna find it hard to believe but it's out there.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Somewhere, in the interwebs, there is a video of a southerner being racist. You're gonna find it hard to believe but it's out there.
Racism in the South? Nah

Old 12-11-2019, 12:13 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Racism in the South? Nah
CityData is hilarious... the claims made on here by some...

Old 12-11-2019, 12:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
CityData is hilarious... the claims made on here by some...
People are racist all over the world. I'm not from the South but people thinking racism is only isolated to one section of the country is indeed, hilarious.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:21 PM

208 posts, read 210,590 times
Purchased and read this book and found it fascinating. It explained a lot of America's cultural (European) origins and why some geographically similar areas are actually quite different.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Nati...s=books&sr=1-7

Old 12-11-2019, 07:41 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
People are racist all over the world. I'm not from the South but people thinking racism is only isolated to one section of the country is indeed, hilarious.
It is just that racism was more heavily institutionalized in the south. It had the force of law and those in power considered it to be legal and a key part of the social fabric.

I can't think of any place (globally) that does not have some racism. The US is not even the worst offender but we have the greatest spectrum of opportunities and what racism we do have gets in the way more often. The south has come a long way in my lifetime but the stigma remains.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:56 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
Of course it is. There's even distinct Southern subcultures.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:45 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
A middle-class or working-class person from Massachusetts or Rhode Island is going to be, on average, much more overtly racist than any person you will ever meet in the South. Remember, most people from the American South are Protestant, and as a general rule, Protestant people tend to be more demure than Catholic people, even accounting for the implications of Scotch-Irish ancestry and Southern hospitality. You have got to be kidding me if you think white Southerners are more than racist than Italian-Americans and other “white ethnics” from the Northeast.
Couldn't agree with you more. As someone who grew up in one of the largest and most diverse North American cities, I've always said that immigrants (and 1st gens) of any race or ethnicity are the worst bigots I've ever known, and I say that as a child of European immigrants.

Having said that, I now realize after over 8 years in TN that when people talk about racism in the South, they're often talking about black on white racism. Yes, it exists, and in my experience, it's worse here than it is up north. I can understand why that would be the case, but it's hard not to notice it.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:10 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
It seems like all the things popular in the south like football and basketball are popular outside the south. The culture seems like American culture to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.