Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 04:38 AM

47 posts, read 52,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Just find a place in Oregon that aren't filled with hipsters.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 07:25 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yensu View Post
Any suggestions?
A Portland suburb. Beaverton, Tualitin, Tigard, Wilsonville, Clackamas, take your pick.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:16 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Yeah, I think that Nashville probably prices out cheapest especially if you're looking in the burbs.

And if you're cool with suburbs then you can get cheaper somewhere in OR. Perhaps Beaverton or Eugene?

I do agree that Portland, followed by Seattle, will be toughest for job hunting. In the end, Nashville and Charlotte will both work given the choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Just find a place in Oregon that aren't filled with hipsters.
Good luck with that

Old 12-14-2014, 12:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
The weather in Louisiana and all of the Gulf Coast is horrific, particularly considering the OP's stated wishes.

If you want mild weather year-round, you want something that's far enough south to be warm, but not hot, which is not influenced by continental weather factors. The central California coast up to the Sonoma Coast would be your best bet, but you won't like the price of anything you find if your bar is set at $690 fora 3BR. You really can't even find less desirable places away from the coast in that price range.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:43 PM

47 posts, read 52,083 times
Yeah, I understand that pricing is not realistic in other places. I'm willing to pay more to live elsewhere.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:53 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
The weather in Louisiana and all of the Gulf Coast is horrific, particularly considering the OP's stated wishes.

If you want mild weather year-round, you want something that's far enough south to be warm, but not hot, which is not influenced by continental weather factors. The central California coast up to the Sonoma Coast would be your best bet, but you won't like the price of anything you find if your bar is set at $690 fora 3BR. You really can't even find less desirable places away from the coast in that price range.
The OP already stated that he looked at New Orleans temperatures and said it didn't look too bad...

As for natural disasters, yes you should be worried a bit. But big hurricanes really aren't as big of a deal down there as you'd think The only "disaster" I experienced while there was a severe thunderstorm. The people from there said that Katrina was huge and awful, which is obvious, but other than that, they almost never have anything like that. But there will be disasters anywhere you go.

Also, if you don't want cold/snow, Nashville and Charlotte might not be the places to go. Sure, not as bad as up north, but still cold in winter.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:04 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Washington/Oregon are not going to provide much in the way of t-shirt weather. Cities like Atlanta, Nashville or Charlotte would be good options in terms of more balanced milder weather, friendliness and things to do...as well as offering options with furthering your education.
I agree, in Oregon and Washington you need a jacket 9 months out of the year, sometimes even during the summer at night. But the climate is "mild" compared to anywhere back east I suppose.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:07 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yensu View Post
Yeah, they are colder than the ideal, but they still have some sort of charm about them.
What about in terms of cost?
I'll look up the weather details on the places you mentioned, and try to find costs of living.
Do you have any personal experience in these places?
Seattle is really expensive, Portland is not THAT bad but rapidly getting more crowded and pricey. I'd suggest Eugene or Asheville if you want a medium sized city with decent amenities and a temperate climate, both of those cities get cold in the winter and hot in the summer but not nearly to the extent of the Midwest, Northeast or deep South.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:20 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
The other issue with Portland is that the job market is bad. The few jobs available there don't pay very well. And while it's affordable now, the prices are going up because more people are moving there.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:06 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
The OP already stated that he looked at New Orleans temperatures and said it didn't look too bad...

As for natural disasters, yes you should be worried a bit. But big hurricanes really aren't as big of a deal down there as you'd think The only "disaster" I experienced while there was a severe thunderstorm. The people from there said that Katrina was huge and awful, which is obvious, but other than that, they almost never have anything like that. But there will be disasters anywhere you go.

Also, if you don't want cold/snow, Nashville and Charlotte might not be the places to go. Sure, not as bad as up north, but still cold in winter.
Who said anything about random "disasters"? The weather in Louisiana is a humid, soupy, daily disaster. Some of the worst inthe country, in my opinion. You may not agree, which is fine, but I think anyone in search of a "mild climate" would be disappointed to outright horrified with the Gulf coast about 10 months per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.