Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 10:27 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,966,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balddude View Post
How does southern feel?

I mean both are in the south just because of their locations.

Good question. I often wondered that myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 10:40 PM

267 posts, read 311,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Good question. I often wondered that myself.
I actually had to google that question to figure it out. No luck what so ever.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:13 AM

9,476 posts, read 10,826,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i dont remember arkansas being a part of the south during the war of northern aggression ..same as kentucky ..all northerners to me ..

Cannot let this go, Arkansas did secede from the union and joined the Confederacy. The upper south states of Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia left the union when Lincoln called up troops to invade the secessionist states. The upper south joined the Confederacy rather than be part of Lincolns unconstitutional invasion of the states who left the union. Kentucky had rival governments during the war, very divided state. Missouri was invaded by Yankees to secure the state to prevent secession. The state government fled and voted for secession. Missouri provided troops to both sides, again a very divided state. Going to Arkansas or even Kentucky and calling them northerners would not likely go over well. Only northern Kentucky takes on any real northern characteristics. Now as far as whether or not Arkansas or North Carolina feels more southern, I guess I gotta go with Arkansas. However if your not in parts of NC overrun with New York transplants the state feels quite southern. Even the presence of northeastern transplants does not eliminate southern culture completely. Over time the transplants become more southern themselves, especially their children. The ones who don't assimilate are the ones who pack up and run back to New Jersey with stories about all the "backward hillbillies" down south and they never return. If you want to see what this migration will do to the states culture in the long run look at the upper Midwestern state of Michigan. It was overrun with people from the south 70 years ago who moved for jobs building cars. Today the state is not less Midwestern than its neighbors and the children and grandchildren of those southerners have become very Midwestern. In the long run southern culture will prevail in North Carolina if we look at the history of other states who have faced this kind of in migration as part of their history.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:18 AM

17,833 posts, read 13,745,970 times
Quote:
i dont remember arkansas being a part of the south during the war of northern aggression ..same as kentucky ..all northerners to me ..
I cannot believe that a guy who refers to the civil war as the "war of northern aggression" doesn't know that Arkansas was part of the confederacy. (May 20th, 1861).

Just to add to the history of Arkansas in the Civil War

Arkansas was a small state that raised 48,000 men for the confederate armies and about 8,000 of them lost their lives during the war fighting for the confederacy. That is more than Florida, Louisiana, Texas and Tennessee lost in the conflict. In fact Arkansas lost more soldiers than Florida, Louisiana and Texas combined.

There were 17 battles fought in Arkansas between Union and Confederate forces.

The Union forces took the capitol city of Little Rock on September 10th, 1863. The confederate state government fled to Washington, AR in the southwest part of the state near the city of Hope, AR. The federals never captured the city, thus Confederate Arkansas never surrendered until the end of the war at large despite controlling only the southwest corner of the state.

There are now fewer than 150 monuments and markers in the state of Arkansas concerning the civil war.

Including this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gen._Ro...anna,_Arkansas)

Now Hoss, you don't think a bunch of Northerners would put up a statue of good 'ole General Lee do you?

Last edited by eddie gein; 12-16-2014 at 03:56 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 04:08 AM

320 posts, read 579,228 times
Quote:

You bama... Arkansas neighbors Mississippi. North is up.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:51 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,967,943 times
Quote:
the war of northern aggression
Yikes.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:30 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,815,584 times
Arkansas

Old 12-18-2014, 03:31 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,252,264 times
I'd say they're both equally southern just in different ways. I dont think one feels necessarily any more or less southern than the other

southern, yet, different....

Old 12-18-2014, 03:38 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,252,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Cannot let this go, Arkansas did secede from the union and joined the Confederacy. The upper south states of Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia left the union when Lincoln called up troops to invade the secessionist states. The upper south joined the Confederacy rather than be part of Lincolns unconstitutional invasion of the states who left the union. Kentucky had rival governments during the war, very divided state. Missouri was invaded by Yankees to secure the state to prevent secession. The state government fled and voted for secession. Missouri provided troops to both sides, again a very divided state. Going to Arkansas or even Kentucky and calling them northerners would not likely go over well. Only northern Kentucky takes on any real northern characteristics. Now as far as whether or not Arkansas or North Carolina feels more southern, I guess I gotta go with Arkansas. However if your not in parts of NC overrun with New York transplants the state feels quite southern. Even the presence of northeastern transplants does not eliminate southern culture completely. Over time the transplants become more southern themselves, especially their children. The ones who don't assimilate are the ones who pack up and run back to New Jersey with stories about all the "backward hillbillies" down south and they never return. If you want to see what this migration will do to the states culture in the long run look at the upper Midwestern state of Michigan. It was overrun with people from the south 70 years ago who moved for jobs building cars. Today the state is not less Midwestern than its neighbors and the children and grandchildren of those southerners have become very Midwestern. In the long run southern culture will prevail in North Carolina if we look at the history of other states who have faced this kind of in migration as part of their history.
I agree with your observation. By "northern Kentucky" I assume your referring to the "3" northernmost counties of "Boone" "Kenton" and "Campbell" right? If so, it's only because that area has rapidly urbanized and has alot of transplants from Ohio and also other parts of the US. Traditionally, in the past, that area was also very much like the rest of Kentucky, save for some of the German immigration and neighborhoods there....traditionally typically Kentuckian and southern in feel with a midwestern touch.

Get into the rural southern tier of those counties or into any of the surrounding counties all bets are off. It's VERY much Kentuckian and southern in feel.

My family are all Kentuckians and would consider themselves "Kentuckian 1st" and then "southern" but southerners nonetheless

However he said: "I dont remember arkansas being a part of the south during the war of northern aggression ..same as kentucky ..all northerners to me ..

He couldn't be further from the truth....good rebuttal!

Old 12-19-2014, 11:21 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,661,257 times
They both *feel* Southern, IMO, but Arkansas feels a lot more backwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.