Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 04:12 PM

395 posts, read 1,374,742 times

Advertisements

What's Chicago's "rival" city. I would say New York for the whole country.

But if you think of New York's rival, you think of Boston. So, Chicago and NYC, isn't really a true "rivalry".

Regionally, it's hard for Chicago to rival anyone. What are you thoughts?

Houston? LA? -totally different type of city
Detroit? - similar geographically and physically...red wings
St. Louis? - cubs/cardinals rivalry, historic rivalry...but stl is too small to compare now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 04:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
What's Chicago's "rival" city. I would say New York for the whole country.

But if you think of New York's rival, you think of Boston. So, Chicago and NYC, isn't really a true "rivalry".

Regionally, it's hard for Chicago to rival anyone. What are you thoughts?

Houston? LA? -totally different type of city
Detroit? - similar geographically and physically...red wings
St. Louis? - cubs/cardinals rivalry, historic rivalry...but stl is too small to compare now
Any major city I would think....

Old 01-07-2008, 04:18 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
New York, Boston, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Los Angeles. Philadelphia and Seattle could be, but are not. Detroit tried years ago, never succeeded and probably never will. Cleveland, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, St Louis, etc all wish they were Chicago, although Kansas City sleeps peacefully at night, unlike the others, especially Detroit, which needs a unisom (NyQuil is not enough).

Old 01-07-2008, 04:21 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Chicago is a "global city," but resembles very few of them. It's not a national capital nor is it a major seacoast trading port. Chicago is a uniquely American city, although some cities in the middle of China (Chongquing and Xi'an come to mind) might be potential in the sense of being a global city elevated by being a super-regional center of a major continental power.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Id say Milwaukee if anybody, even though theres not much of a rivalry per se. Either Milwaukee or St. Louis? I dunno, nor do I care. We're just a city in the midwest, same goes for lots of others.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:05 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id say Milwaukee if anybody, even though theres not much of a rivalry per se. Either Milwaukee or St. Louis? I dunno, nor do I care. We're just a city in the midwest, same goes for lots of others.
I'd agree. Either Milwaukee or St. Louis fit rivals to Chicago at least as far Chicago's rivals in its own region (the midwest) goes. I would certainly say Chicago has the most "tension" with these cities. However, in terms of all around rivalry, I would definitely think that New York is Chicago's biggest rival nationwide, followed by Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, and Houston.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:05 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
I would say Milwaukee as well and Green Bay to a lesser extent.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:07 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I would say Milwaukee as well and Green Bay to a lesser extent.
Green Bay is probably a "rival" only because of the *shudders* Packers Id imagine.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:11 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Quote:
Green Bay is probably a "rival" only because of the *shudders* Packers Id imagine.
Green Bay? I seriously doubt that. Green Bay is so much smaller than Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cleveland, Indy, Cincy, and other Midwestern cities and to my knowledge is still suffering from the effects of the rustbelt. Green Bay I think may be more tied to the Twin Cities than Chicago. I have no clue how any type of rivalry would exist between Green Bay and Chicago except in football.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Sports? Milwaukee, St Louis and Detroit. I don't know about things beyond that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.