Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:59 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You're the one being ridiculous. I provided a link to Hocking State Park and now you have a local telling you about a nice park (with 100 foot high bluffs, no less) but you keep insisting on flat/bland.

I doubt you clicked on my link, and at this point I don't believe you have ever been to or have driven through Columbus.
Arguing that Columbus has interesting, variable topography is a complete joke. I don't care if there's a 100 foot high bluff here and there. Overall, the metro area is fairly flat, in absolute terms. Ain't nobody going mountain hiking or skiing in the Columbus area for a reason. Please stop already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 01:21 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Arguing that Columbus has interesting, variable topography is a complete joke. I don't care if there's a 100 foot high bluff here and there. Overall, the metro area is fairly flat, in absolute terms. Ain't nobody going mountain hiking or skiing in the Columbus area for a reason. Please stop already.
google/bing are your friends.

I consider your intransigence to be a complete joke.

You speak with such authority continually of places you have obviously never been. It's become quite entertaining.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:08 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
I have driven through Columbus. It is extremely flat and bland compared to New England. You've gotta be kidding me. It's flat, isolated and surrounded by endless cornfields, just like Indianapolis. It's not even debatable. Just look at the terrain map on google maps, as well as satellite view. You will see squares all over the place, representing farms and cornfields. I'm not hating on it or anything....in fact, I have considered moving there myself. But I'm just telling it like it IS.

If I ever move to Ohio, I would choose the Cleveland area, for it's more interesting topography, lack of a dominating university vibe (I hate college towns) and a more eastern culture.
Anyone who still sees Columbus as just a college town hasn't been there in 25 years. "Driven through" says a lot.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If you live in Columbus, why does it matter what the land looks like to get there?

I live in Indianapolis, and trust me, it is not a remarkable drive to Fort Wayne/St Louis/Columbus. Who makes life choices based on how exciting it is to drive somewhere else?
If you went by the opinions on C-D, the only reasons to live anywhere would be, in no particular order:

1. Sunshine/Warm weather.
2. # of hills you can see from a particular location.
3. Proximity to the beach.

There's almost nothing else people care about. Not jobs, not cost of living, not culture or education or social characteristics. Nope, it comes down to how many clouds a city gets on an average day and whether or not you can see hills while you're driving on the highway.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
But still, a hill here and there is the exception to the rule. The general rule is that central Ohio is flat. Stop being ridiculous. That's like saying Florida isn't flat because there's one or two hills here and there in the middle of the state.
Even so, why is this even important? I guess I don't associate blandness with topography when talking about a city/metro. I mean, seriously, there are way more important things going on.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:17 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Anyone who still sees Columbus as just a college town hasn't been there in 25 years. "Driven through" says a lot.
It is crazy to think how much Columbus has grown in 25 years, the transformation has been amazing.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
It is crazy to think how much Columbus has grown in 25 years, the transformation has been amazing.
Yep, even within the last 5. That's why I say, if someone hasn't been there for a long time, or they're just basing their view on what they heard once or driving through on 70 or 71, then they probably don't have a very good idea of what the city's actually like now.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:19 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yep, even within the last 5. That's why I say, if someone hasn't been there for a long time, or they're just basing their view on what they heard once or driving through on 70 or 71, then they probably don't have a very good idea of what the city's actually like now.
Well, I've driven through on I-70 (east-west) and the entire area was pretty flat to me. Like I said, my frame of reference is Connecticut, which is MUCH more variable terrain than Ohio. So yes, to me, it's flat. Definitely flatter than CT.

Anyway, now that you guys said that Columbus isn't a college town anymore, maybe I should reconsider it instead of Cleveland. I can't stand college towns or places with a strong college vibe or student population. IF that's truly the case in the Columbus metro, then I may reconsider moving there again. I also can't stand sports or constantly hearing people talk about sports. I am just a 30 year old white collar corporate professional who is also GAY and leans liberal. I hate heavy traffic, crowds, fast paced lifestyles and pretentious people, which is how it is now where I live. I want to be able to buy a small house in a safe, quiet area for under $260K. I don't care for nightlife or festivals or dining. But I do like hiking, history and stuff. I am mostly a home body who enjoys video games, exercise, etc.

In all fairness, I was reading the reviews on a competitor's web site, and almost everyone said that the Columbus area is DOMINATED by OSU in all aspects of life. They said that OSU is religion in Cbus. After reading all the reviews on that web site, I was turned off by Columbus altogether.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:38 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Columbus and Indianapolis.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Well, I've driven through on I-70 (east-west) and the entire area was pretty flat to me. Like I said, my frame of reference is Connecticut, which is MUCH more variable terrain than Ohio. So yes, to me, it's flat. Definitely flatter than CT.

Anyway, now that you guys said that Columbus isn't a college town anymore, maybe I should reconsider it instead of Cleveland. I can't stand college towns or places with a strong college vibe or student population. IF that's truly the case in the Columbus metro, then I may reconsider moving there again. I also can't stand sports or constantly hearing people talk about sports. I am just a 30 year old white collar corporate professional who is also GAY and leans liberal. I hate heavy traffic, crowds, fast paced lifestyles and pretentious people, which is how it is now where I live. I want to be able to buy a small house in a safe, quiet area for under $260K. I don't care for nightlife or festivals or dining. But I do like hiking, history and stuff. I am mostly a home body who enjoys video games, exercise, etc.

In all fairness, I was reading the reviews on a competitor's web site, and almost everyone said that the Columbus area is DOMINATED by OSU in all aspects of life. They said that OSU is religion in Cbus. After reading all the reviews on that web site, I was turned off by Columbus altogether.
Honestly, if you never leave the house anyway and don't appear to want to actually live in the city, why would any OSU stuff bother you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.