Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,512 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Unfortunately, I need to move from Seattle to Chicago in a couple weeks. Another person and I shared driving responsibilities last summer. However, it being winter, this will obviously be much more of a challenge. I was playing around on Googlemaps and did some Internet searches, but I could REALLY use some real feedback from real people.

I couldn't find any way to avoid mountains. Is this right?

Would I-5 to 395 to 80 be ok? I'm wondering about through the Salt Lake City area?

I'm traveling alone, don't have a rugged car, and don't have chains on my tires… Please help, and Thank You! I really don't want to sell my car that's already paid off, but I'm fearing that may be my only option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 10:58 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
If you're looking to avoid mountains, best way is to fly out (and ship your car). Even on i5 you're going to deal with mountain/snow.

If you're not wanting to buy chains, then at least buy winter tires or all weather tires. If my crappy Toyota Tercel can make it, your non-rugged car will too. Just take precautions and stock up (blankets, water, nuts, etc).

Old 01-21-2015, 01:58 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehchi View Post
Hello!

Unfortunately, I need to move from Seattle to Chicago in a couple weeks. Another person and I shared driving responsibilities last summer. However, it being winter, this will obviously be much more of a challenge. I was playing around on Googlemaps and did some Internet searches, but I could REALLY use some real feedback from real people.

Would I-5 to 395 to 80 be ok? I'm wondering about through the Salt Lake City area?

I'm traveling alone, don't have a rugged car, and don't have chains on my tires… Please help, and Thank You! I really don't want to sell my car that's already paid off, but I'm fearing that may be my only option
No need to sell your car, but do know that there is a possibility that you will encounter some winter weather when cruising through the northern half of the country in February. Unfortunately there is no route that will 100% guarantee you safe passage, though some places are more likely than others to be problematic.

If you take 90 across, you'll go over Snoqualmie Pass, obviously, and then go through a long stretch of mountains once in Idaho and Montana. Quite a few problem spots and a higher likelihood of winter weather throughout the area. In your situation I would probably avoid this route.

A generally less snowy route (overall) would involve I-84 to I-80, or I-90 to I-82 to I-84 and then I-80 across. The two problem spots (generally) would be 1) the I-84 stretch through the Blue Mtns between Pendleton and Ontario, Oregon and 2) I-84/I-80 over the Wasatch Range between Ogden, UT and Evanston, WY. But they're pretty dry areas with only occasional brief storms, so you'd probably be just fine. Beyond that, the route takes you to mostly flat areas. Just keep in mind that snow can happen anywhere along the entire route this time of year.

Personally I would rule out Hwy 395 as I recall it to be quite rugged in parts and very isolated, not to mention adding significant distance to your trip without lowering the risk of bad weather.

Since it's really just this trip that you're worried about, I wouldn't suggest getting new tires unless you need them. You may want to pick up a set of chains to feel better, and it's worth noting that places like Les Schwab will often let you return them at the end of the season, if you don't use them.

As Inkpoe said above, carry some winter emergency items, but the biggest piece of advice I can tell you is to build in a few extra days to your trip, if possible. If there's a significant storm predicted in the area you're driving through, you're better off waiting it out with a night or two in a motel room. In other words, if it's bad enough that you really need chains, I'd say it's wise to stay off the roads and wait it out. The interstates tend to have the best snow clearing equipment, and stretches rarely close for more than a day or two.

You should be fine; just pay attention to the weather forecasts and don't get yourself in situations where a deadline forces you to take higher risks (i.e. driving at night, driving through storms). Hope this helps!

Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Once you get out of the mountains you'll more than likely be just fine through the Midwest to Chicago. It certainly can and does snow, but the days the interstate is messed up because of snow is just a few here and there, maybe 10 days out of the 90 days that it normally would be snowing.

Chances are you'll be just fine in that regards. Obviously - no chains after you're in the mountains, I think you would be pulled over for trying to drive with those things anywhere in the Midwest. We just do all-season tires here and don't really think about them or change them.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:17 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehchi View Post
Hello!

Sorry to hear you feel FORCED TO MOVE TO CHICAGO? It is a great city especially outside of winter... pun intended. Hope you will enjoy the city as many other transplants have. By April/May it will get better ... beaches open. Tree-lined streets and flowers bloom. Hope Chicago impresses you as it did me.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:34 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Once you get out of the mountains you'll more than likely be just fine through the Midwest to Chicago. It certainly can and does snow, but the days the interstate is messed up because of snow is just a few here and there, maybe 10 days out of the 90 days that it normally would be snowing.

Chances are you'll be just fine in that regards. Obviously - no chains after you're in the mountains, I think you would be pulled over for trying to drive with those things anywhere in the Midwest. We just do all-season tires here and don't really think about them or change them.
Right, unlike what that weird poll said recently, the only place that you need/that allows things like chains and studs is out in the Rockies. All-weather works perfectly fine once you're past the mountains, that's what all the locals use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.