Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York is more similar to
New England 54 51.43%
Maryland/DC 51 48.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:02 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,130 times

Advertisements

Since some insist there's this "Mid-Atlantic" region that stretches from New York to DC, I'm curious if people think New York has more in common with New England or Maryland/DC?

I'd go with New England. For the following reasons:

- Slow growth in the postwar years, older housing stock, few boomburbs, edge cities, post-1980 suburbs. No unincorporated areas and dominant county governments which are more of a South/West thing.

- Large and quite visible Italian and Irish Catholic populations, which aren't found in Maryland/DC in any significant numbers or concentrations

- Colonial stock population in Upstate New York comes mostly from New England Yankees. In fact, Yankees quickly outnumbered "Yorkers" in NYS.

- No majority Black suburban counties or major cities, as found in Maryland/DC. No metro areas that are more than 25% Black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 12:02 PM

406 posts, read 486,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Since some insist there's this "Mid-Atlantic" region that stretches from New York to DC, I'm curious if people think New York has more in common with New England or Maryland/DC?

- Slow growth in the postwar years, older housing stock, few boomburbs, edge cities, post-1980 suburbs. No unincorporated areas and dominant county governments which are more of a South/West thing.

- Large and quite visible Italian and Irish Catholic populations, which aren't found in Maryland/DC in any significant numbers or concentrations

- Colonial stock population in Upstate New York comes mostly from New England Yankees. In fact, Yankees quickly outnumbered "Yorkers" in NYS.

- No majority Black suburban counties or major cities, as found in Maryland/DC. No metro areas that are more than 25% Black.
I would use caution here. Maryland as a colony was established as a sanctuary for Catholics being persecuted in England. The Baltimore Archdiocese is the oldest diocese in the United States and is held in very high regard by the Vatican. The Baltimore Basilica was the first Catholic Cathedral built in the United States. I think a Catholic population in Maryland of 1 million would be on the conservative side.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:17 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Quote:

I think your Catholic facts are way off for DC/Baltimore. DC is home to Trinity University, The Dominican House of Studies, Catholic University of America as well as Georgetown University - the oldest Catholic university in the country. Not to mention the National Cathedral and the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:20 PM

428 posts, read 450,941 times
Quote:

You set the question up to get the answer you want. You can stand in New York and look at New England. A more appropriate question would be "New York, more like Maryland or New Hampshire?".

Old 03-30-2015, 12:22 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:

While there are no majority Black suburban counties or major cities, there are majority Black suburbs in NYS and there are highly Black concentrations in urban and suburban areas. I believe that the only metro in New England with anything close is Hartford, with maybe New Haven and Boston having this as well.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:28 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
I'd say upstate is more similar to New England, however downstate is more similar to the Maryland/DC mid Atlantic.

Quote:
- Slow growth in the postwar years, older housing stock, few boomburbs, edge cities, post-1980 suburbs.
Umm some facts here:
- NYC is the only major city in Bos-Wash that is at historical population high. Even DC hasn't reached its previous peak yet.
- As far as boomburbs/ edge cities post 1980... have you seen Jersey City or Hoboken? Jersey City only built its skyline from nothing within the last 10 years. The waterfront as late as 1990s used to be nothing but industrial area, warehouses, docks, swamps, and brownfields. Now it probably has one of the best skylines in the country for the city its size, and everything there is new construction.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:31 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I'd say upstate is more similar to New England, however downstate is more similar to the Maryland/DC mid Atlantic.

Umm some facts here:
- NYC is the only major city in Bos-Wash that is at historical population high. Even DC hasn't reached its previous peak yet.
- As far as boomburbs/ edge cities post 1980... have you seen Jersey City or Hoboken? Jersey City only built its skyline from nothing within the last 10 years.
This and some may say that Upstate NY is a New England/Midwestern hybrid or a combination of the areas it touches.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:37 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
- As far as boomburbs/ edge cities post 1980... have you seen Jersey City or Hoboken? Jersey City only built its skyline from nothing within the last 10 years. The waterfront used to be nothing but industrial area, docks, and warehouses, now its probably one of the best skylines for the city its size.
Those are older satellite cities, not edge cities. Jersey City and Hoboken are urban, not suburban. Edge cities are modern suburbs that barely existed 40 years. JC/Hoboken are nothing like Gaithersburg, MD.

What is the percentage of the housing stock built before 1940 and after 1980 in NYC's suburban counties, compared to those of DC?

DC's metro is about 5 times the population it was in 1940.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:43 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Those are older satellite cities, not edge cities. Jersey City and Hoboken are urban, not suburban. Edge cities are modern suburbs that barely existed 40 years. JC/Hoboken are nothing like Gaithersburg, MD.
If you are talking about small suburban communities like Gaithersburg MD, NYC has those too. Look up Kiryas Joel, NY, much newer than Gaithersburg too and founded much much later (founded in 1977 in an open field).

If you want something that pretty much mirrors Gaithersburg, look up New City, NY.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:50 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I think your Catholic facts are way off for DC/Baltimore. DC is home to Trinity University, The Dominican House of Studies, Catholic University of America as well as Georgetown University - the oldest Catholic university in the country. Not to mention the National Cathedral and the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.
Italian/Irish/Polish/Jewish composition by metro.

Boston - 36.45% of MSA (49.38% of non-Hispanic Whites)
New York - 32.26% of MSA (66.94% of non-Hispanic Whites)
Philadelphia - 33.03% of MSA (51.26% of non-Hispanic Whites)
Baltimore - 19.98% of MSA (33.78% of non-Hispanic Whites)
Washington - 14.25% of MSA (30.42% of non-Hispanic Whites)
Hampton Roads - 13.25% of MSA (23.16% of non-Hispanic Whites)
Richmond - 12.07% of MSA (20.07% of non-Hispanic Whites)

Oldest suburbs in the U.S. by metro (% of pre-1940 housing stock)

Boston - 32.4%
Providence - 30.2%
Pittsburgh - 23.5%
Rochester - 21.1%
Buffalo - 21.1%
New York - 18.9%
Hartford - 16.7%
Cleveland - 15.4%
Philadelphia - 14.9%
Milwaukee - 14.0%
Cincinnati - 12.6%
Columbus - 12.4%
Chicago - 11.6%
St. Louis - 10.3%
San Francisco - 9.2%
Indianapolis - 8.8%
Kansas City - 8.8%
Los Angeles - 8.3%
Detroit - 8.2%
Norfolk - 7.0%
Baltimore - 6.8%
Seattle - 6.1%
San Jose - 5.1%
Oklahoma City - 4.9%
Charlotte - 4.6%
Washington, DC - 4.6%
Birmingham - 4.5%
Richmond - 4.1%
San Antonio - 4.1%
Salt Lake - 3.1%
Sacramento - 2.7%
Raleigh - 2.6%
Dallas - 2.5%
Jacksonville - 2.3%
Atlanta - 2.0%
Austin - 2.0%
Miami - 1.5%
Orlando - 1.3%
Phoenix - 0.6%
Las Vegas - 0.3%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.