Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:43 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
But that reason is often based on ignorance and justified merely through apocryphal stories. Here's mine: three of the most superficial people I’ve met in Southern California in the last year recently had arrived from Tennessee. That comprises about 50% of my personal TN sample size drawn from the last couple of years. By the logic applied to this thread, I could use this to claim TN has the most superficial people in the US.

Although I travel, I've not spent sufficient extended time in other locales to gauge confidently the sociology of the respective areas, but I certainly have had the misfortune of knowing 3 d-bags from the Volunteer state. But I'm not going to paint with that brush. Resorting to TV and movies to bolster this is even worse. I’m not going to crack on Southerners because I watch reruns of Hee-Haw.
Makes sense, I know people just as shallow in suburban Louisiana. All depends on how the person grew up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
Scottsdale is more superficial than LA. I felt like the town was trying so hard to be LA that it went a little over the top. But still a nice place and the women were ridiculously good looking.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:52 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Surprised that Atlanta hasn't been mentioned more.

Every time I'm there I feel like I'm surrounded by superficiality. A lot of the women seem to all have the same designer handbags and shoes. The guys seem to have the same late model BMWs, Mercedes, and Bentley's. It's always interesting to me.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Surprised that Atlanta hasn't been mentioned more.

Every time I'm there I feel like I'm surrounded by superficiality. A lot of the women seem to all have the same designer handbags and shoes. The guys seem to have the same late model BMWs, Mercedes, and Bentley's. It's always interesting to me.
And I'm guessing you're from Miami? Isn't like the pot calling the kettle black? To be honest I think Miami is right there with Atlanta, especially when it comes to cars. I see the same types of cats riding in late model whips in Miami as I do in Atlanta.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,612 times
most superficial is here...southern california

Old 11-30-2011, 09:27 PM

422 posts, read 812,754 times
In general I have found that the more car oriented a place is the more superficial it is and the more public transit oriented and dense the less superficial with qualifications. The superficial people living in areas with public transportation tend to be wealthier transplants from car oriented suburbs. There are a few rich superficial city natives in places like Manhattan but in general I found found working to middle class people who live in transit oriented big cities and take public transit in cities like Chicago to be the least superficial. I actually think the car oriented suburban landscape has made american culture superficial in general. Many people who move to the suburbs from the city in my experience tend to be the more superficial ones who feel they are too good to live in a modest bungalow or apartment in the city. I know school are often used as an excuse and in some cases there are legitimate concerns but also a lot of the time it is because they feel the pressure to conform to the all american lifestyle of being superficial keeping up with the jonses in the suburbs.

I think my problem is that I am so non-superficial and anti-conformist that I am almost snobbish in the opposite, i.e. I think I am superior to people who value superficial things and I won't try to compete with these people I will just ignore them all together because they are boring people not worth my time. To me at the end of the day I think I realize something that few people realize, people who live these lifestyles are trying to be "special" but in reality they are just being like everyone else, in reality they are just a dime a dozen normal who have nearly lost any sense of individuality. To me the true "elitism" so to speak is to be intelligent to realize that these pursuits are stupid and folly and that being truly individualistic is what makes you unique. My desires and wants are my own and not because of some brainwashing mass marketing scheme, if I even try to compete with superficial people I just become one of them, one of the brainwashed lobotomized masses. The beauty of my "elitism" is that it is not dependent on me being elite, I want everyone to wake up and realize this for themselves, I am only "elite" so to speak because I feel so few have waken up to this enlightenment that I have.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 AM

6 posts, read 25,415 times
I've lived in a few places in the South and I can tell you out of this region DFW is by far the hardest place to meet people and is the most pretentious/materialistic.... TRUST me.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:32 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
It is superficial to label others as superficial, because they are attractive, dress well, or drive nice cars. The most exclusive, snottiest people I've ever encountered were frumpy hipsters in Seattle, Portland, and SF. Even if you're dressed in a plain white tshirt and jeans, that's not good enough for them. You have to make a statement with your appearance to be accepted by them, or else they will write you off as...superficial.

I've walked around Johnson County, KS, Los Angeles, Northern VA, and other wealthy areas with tons of attractive people while I was wearing sweats, hair undone, and no makeup. And I can say that generally the rich, well-dressed people were still friendly to me, unlike the liberal elitists of Seattle.

Last edited by skidamarink; 01-28-2015 at 12:47 PM..

Old 01-28-2015, 12:37 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
It is superficial to label others as superficial, because they are attractive, dress well, or drive nice cars. The most exclusive, snottiest people I've ever encountered were frumpy hipsters in Seattle, Portland, and SF. Even if you're dressed in a plain white tshirt and jeans, that's not good enough for them. You have to make a statement with your appearance to be accepted by them, or else they will write you off as...superficial.

I've walked around Johnson County, KS, LA, and other wealthy areas with tons of attractive people while I was wearing sweats, hair undone, and no makeup. And I can say that generally the rich, well-dressed people were still friendly to me, unlike the liberal elitists of Seattle.
For what you just mentioned is why I am not big on most of the West Coast except San Diego and the small California Beaches they have a way more laid back vibe from San Fran, Portland and Seattle, I totally agree with you on hipsters and the intellectuals and tech greek people crowd.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:13 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
I don't know if it still holds true, but Utah (Salt Lake Metro) used to be listed as the "most vain" place in the US based on the number of plastic surgeries, face lifts, and body "enhancements" performed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.