Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:59 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times

Advertisements

Pretend you're ready to retire and you want to go to the Blue Ridge Mountains. Where's the best place? Roanoke, Virginia? Asheville, NC? N. Georgia? Somewhere else? Why and what makes your choice the best place in the Blue Ridge?

for the sake of argument, let's say that jobs aren't an issue but money's relatively tight--you can't spend more than $200,00 on a house and you care about things like taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 05:59 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,989 times
Asheville is my favorite place in the Blue Ridge area b/c it is a good sized city with all the restaurant, arts, and culture that come along with it, but it is still a mountain town that prides itself on easy access to outdoor recreation at the same time. The bad thing about it is that it is one of the more expensive places to live in the Blue Ridge area. Of course, it seems like prices are going up everywhere and a lot of people are getting the idea of retiring in the southern appalachians, as opposed to arizona/florida. In north Georgia, there are some great towns that have already seen a boom of retirees, including Dahlonega, Elllijay, and Blue Ridge (GA). Prices are going up, but there still are some nice places to be found in the $200k range. It just doesn't go quite as far as it used to up there. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:59 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,934,856 times
I lived 18 years in the Blue Ridge, I know it well........what really matters, is , how cool do you want to be in the summer. Many of the towns and villages are located in the mountain valleys. Hemmed in by the slopes, they can get quite warm, too hot for my taste.Why move to the mountains when its no better than where you are from ?.......... If this is important , and it should be , look for places above 3500 feet. 4,000 is better , but there are few , and you may not like the prices. The jewel of the mountain south is Highlands , NC , a long time resort village, at 4,200 feet, with cool summers ( we never used our AC ) , no bugs , and, no crime. Yes there was snow , and if the conditions were just right , lots of it , say 3 feet over nite ! The only drawback , in the winter , in such a wonderful place, was driving on the mountain roads, and , the temp. spikes that come with the altitude. ( we had 30 below one winter ). Our winters were much like the upper midwest, but , tempered by the latitude , so ,the snow did not last , and the winters were short.............. another place , more affordable , is Beach Mountain, check it out , and , its at 5,000 feet , the highest town in eastern America.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:57 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,642 times
My guess is Asheville because its a city. People that aren't from Appalachia aren't going to be tempted to move a family to a region that people might consider backwards. Hopefully a couple other cities popup along the Appalachia mountains that are affordable. I wouldn't mind trying out living in the Appalachia mountains. But it would have to be in a city with good schools.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
My guess is Asheville because its a city. People that aren't from Appalachia aren't going to be tempted to move a family to a region that people might consider backwards. Hopefully a couple other cities popup along the Appalachia mountains that are affordable. I wouldn't mind trying out living in the Appalachia mountains. But it would have to be in a city with good schools.
I agree. Asheville is the best by far.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
There is nothing wrong with small towns in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Yes , some might not be suited for a "young family from the city", but , that is not what I thought we were addressing..............That said , Asheville is a great choice , its Progressive, arts, crafts center, and @ about 100,000 people , a good destination city. However , just outside Asheville , are some great retirement towns, with a cooler summer climate , a little slower pace , and , a choice. Places like Waynesville, Sylva ,Brevard,Fletcher,Weaverville,Boone , Blowing Rock,and Burnsville, all are not far from Asheville , and , offer choice , from city life. most have good schools , almost no crime, and affordable housing , if , you look for it.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:41 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There is nothing wrong with small towns in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Yes , some might not be suited for a "young family from the city", but , that is not what I thought we were addressing..............That said , Asheville is a great choice , its Progressive, arts, crafts center, and @ about 100,000 people , a good destination city. However , just outside Asheville , are some great retirement towns, with a cooler summer climate , a little slower pace , and , a choice. Places like Waynesville, Sylva ,Brevard,Fletcher,Weaverville,Boone , Blowing Rock,and Burnsville, all are not far from Asheville , and , offer choice , from city life. most have good schools , almost no crime, and affordable housing , if , you look for it.
There's also Statesville, at the intersection of I-40 and I-77.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
There's also Statesville, at the intersection of I-40 and I-77.
Statesville works , but , its really in the foothills of the Mountains. For that matter ,Charlotte is not that far from the Mountains ether !

Old 10-12-2007, 09:09 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
"another place , more affordable , is Beach Mountain, check it out , and , its at 5,000 feet , the highest town in eastern America."

...well, that would solve the age-old argument of: Do we retire to the Beach or to the Mountains? :-)

There are no bugs there????? Is it an altitude thing? Because I used to live in Asheville, and there were plenty of bugs there.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
"another place , more affordable , is Beach Mountain, check it out , and , its at 5,000 feet , the highest town in eastern America."

...well, that would solve the age-old argument of: Do we retire to the Beach or to the Mountains? :-)

There are no bugs there????? Is it an altitude thing? Because I used to live in Asheville, and there were plenty of bugs there.
Beech Mountain is a neat place, its quite new , a ski town , high in the mountains about an hour north of Asheville. Banner Elk is also near by, and is larger with more facilities. A less expensive area , then Highlands , Brevard . If I were thinking of going back , I would look in this area........ Highlands is a jewel , almost a rain forest , no Walmarts , or any other non local owned places allowed. Bugs ? They are also not allowed. Actually , it is said that the bugs can not afford to live there , but , its the elevation , at 4200, no bugs ! great restaurants, ( try Paoletti's ) for the best Italian food this side of Boston.. Lots of folks with funds , have a place in Highlands, it can be expensive , however , I lived there 18 years , and I am far from being rich. Highlands is 6 miles from the Georgia line , and only 2 hours north of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.