Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the worse winter?
Pacific Northwest 14 14.89%
Northeast 80 85.11%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 10:52 AM

638 posts, read 347,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You do realize that there is more to NY State than NYC, right? So, it may be a matter of where you are in the state or Northeast, just like most regions across the country.
Of course and I stated that in my post.

But since we are mostly discussing the major coastal metro areas just pointing out that access to winter sports is not very great in the NE compared to the PNW. Even Boston is at least 4-5 hours away from decent resorts with consistent snow coverage. Jay Peak/Sugarbush/Stowe/Killington/Mad River and Smuggler's are 5 hours from Boston. Cannon is ok and it takes up to 3 hours to get there.

Blue Hills is the the closest thing, and you would be lucky to have 15 inches on the ground. It gets cold but consistent snow is severely lacking with short winter seasons. This is the reality for most people living in the NE who enjoy winter sports. It’s just not very accessible for most people living from Philly to Boston.

That is why many who enjoy those activities have left for greener pastures in places like Boise, PDX, Seattle, and other western cities like SLC or Denver.

That is the major advantage of living in the PNW. Within 30 minutes to 1 hour of pretty much every major city you have access to good winter sports with deep snow despite the weather.

Last edited by Thealpinist; 01-17-2023 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 11:21 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Of course and I stated that in my post.

But since we are mostly discussing the major coastal metro areas just pointing out that access to winter sports is not very great in the NE compared to the PNW. Even Boston is at least 4-5 hours away from decent resorts with consistent snow coverage. Jay Peak/Sugarbush/Stowe/Killington/Mad River and Smuggler's are 5 hours from Boston. Cannon is ok and it takes up to 3 hours to get there.

Blue Hills is the the closest thing, and you would be lucky to have 15 inches on the ground. This is the reality for most people living in the NE who enjoy winter sports. It’s just not very accessible for most people living from Philly to Boston.

That is why many who enjoy those activities have left for greener pastures in places like Boise, PDX, Seattle, and other western cities like SLC or Denver.

That is the major advantage of living in the PNW. Within 30 minutes to 1 hour of pretty much every major city you have access to good winter sports with deep snow despite the weather.
We are?

Old 01-17-2023, 01:21 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
We are?
Yes from the first post in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsNJ View Post
Pacific Northwest winters are mild but cloudy and drizzly,
That is a description of the coastal areas.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:35 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yes from the first post in this thread.

That is a description of the coastal areas.
I don't see that in the original post, but ok...Northeast doesn't mean just the Bos-Wash corridor of the region.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:53 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
I don't see that in the original post, but ok...Northeast doesn't mean just the Bos-Wash corridor of the region.
It is literally the first sentence of the first post.

Old 01-18-2023, 09:42 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times
Originally from New England and have lived in western Washington for 7 years now.

New England winter: Colder, sunnier, snowier
Western Washington winter: Cold but not northeast cold usually 30-40s during the day...sometimes it dips into the 20s at night. Much cloudier and rainier than New England.

Old 01-18-2023, 12:20 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Seattle's coldest month, December, averages 47 highs and 37 lows per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Seattle.

I'd have guessed more like 42 highs. And I didn't know December was colder than January. Guess we're already in the transition to spring!

Old 01-18-2023, 01:19 PM

638 posts, read 347,315 times
Quote:
Of course the NE is not just Bosh-Wash corridor. Just like the PNW is not two cities west of the Cascades.

But we were talking about the major urban areas. Even if we include the entire NE my point still stands.

Old 01-18-2023, 09:28 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle's coldest month, December, averages 47 highs and 37 lows per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Seattle.

I'd have guessed more like 42 highs. And I didn't know December was colder than January. Guess we're already in the transition to spring!
Days start swinging longer really quickly in the next few weeks in the PNW. By mid to late February it's gonna feel like spring with flowers blooming, my lawn is going to be bright green by then. It's a completely different winter experience from the Northeast.

Old 01-18-2023, 09:58 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Days start swinging longer really quickly in the next few weeks in the PNW. By mid to late February it's gonna feel like spring with flowers blooming, my lawn is going to be bright green by then. It's a completely different winter experience from the Northeast.
It's what is famously called "backloaded winters" that seemingly are becoming more common, meaning February is often quite a bit colder than December for the Great Lakes region eastward. The seasonal lag effect of the lake water temperatures cooling of is also different now with warming winter temperatures compared to the past. Many years now, the Great Lakes only have fractional ice coverage or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.