Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 06:48 AM

545 posts, read 1,100,564 times

Advertisements

Here's my theory on state capitals... cities are making a comeback in this century. downtown cores are revitalizing, and people with money are starting to move back in. now there are many state capitals that are crappy and run down. trenton, nj... harrisburg, pa... hartford, ct... but there will always be workers that need to work in these cities, as long as state government exists. eventually these workers will want to move back into the downtown, to be within closer walking distance to their jobs, as well as feel a more urban environment. so i think all states will begin to put a focus on revitalizing their capital cities, naturally because the people making these state decisions will want to live in these capital cities. what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 10:00 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
Well I cant speak for Trenton and Harrisburg but i can give a statement about Hartford. I wouldn't consider Hartford to be crappy but its not entirely rundown. That's just a stereotype used by suburban folks here. Its gotten better here since the 1980's and many neighborhoods have cleaned themselves up. The thing with Hartford is that as a suburban point of view, there's really no need to go into Hartford except to work and see a concert or sporting event. Everything you need is in the suburbs such as malls, restaurants, outdoor activities, etc. At one point people went into Hartford for everything and it was the center for shopping and entertainment but now its only the center for economic activity. They are revitalizing downtown since the economy's gotten better and there's a downtown north development in construction as we speak. A $60,000,000 ballpark, retail and office space, a brewery, and a grocery store all in a $350,000,000 development project. There hasn't been anything as big since the Hartford 21 project and the Convention Center project. That's not just all. The XL Center in downtown is also looking to rebuilt and attract an NHL team. Even though Hartford is a 9-5 city it still has potential then most state capitals because of its location, economic development, and its workforce. Would you consider Hartford to be that crappy? Look at the thousands of people moving into downtown because of its residential projects. There's at least 6 going on right now. Its hard to compete with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.