Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 02:04 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,172 times

Advertisements

For those who have spent significant time in both cities, what are some differences you've noticed in attitude of people in LA and NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 03:06 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
LA people are a bit more introverted and tougher to pin down, I think. It's a bit harder making friends, and getting together in one place. They aren't exactly flaky, but they're harder to read.

NYC people are a bit more extroverted and let you know how they feel. Easier to make friends and hang out. New Yorkers are not rude, but they will not hide emotions.

But, of course, I am only talking very GENERAL trends, and there are a million exceptions. Both cities are highly transient and filled with people from around the world, so there would be no reason to think there is "one type".

Old 02-27-2015, 05:47 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
NYC people dress up. LA people don't. You can see shorts and flip-flops at the Philharmonic in LA.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:45 PM

312 posts, read 481,712 times
Biggest difference I've noticed about LA people (and west coasters really) compared to us NYers (and all urban northeasterners really) is that in NYC and its surroundings we are a lot more direct and less politically correct and afraid of hurting feelings, jokes that are not offensive here and just funny to people of all ethnic backgrounds would get you called a bigoted, insensitive, oppressive and horrible person out west. Also when it comes to politics even though these are both blue states, LA is more of a social justice liberal whereas NYers are largely liberals of the old school Union/workers/populist variety and you will find plenty of people who vote democratic because they support left-wing economics and trade unions but are conservative on social issues and go to church or shul on Sunday. We are more pragmatic about politics and have had recent GOP mayors (Bloomberg and Giuliani). One thing that people don't realize is both CA and NY are huge states a d we have tons of redneck types just like in more stereotypically country states they just have different accents (In CA they are in the far north and the SoCal desert as well as farming areas. In NY they are usually in the far west by PA and Lake Erie but also up by Canada, there are even quite a few in NYC exurbs like Orange County NY and far eastern Suffolk county) Also while we may seem rude and abrasive its because we live in a busy and crowded area with a lot of scammers and crazy people so we are skeptical and have learned not to risk falling for BS, but when you "prove yourself" as a decent guy we will go out of our way for you, whereas people from out west will be much nicer seeming at first but it's more of them being polite than actually giving a d**m. Most native NYers are not offended or taken aback by fowl language whereas if you curse like a sailor out there they think you're trashy, I was in Starbucks in Brooklyn earlier today I stopped on my way home and I had a short and casual conversation with the barista whom I didn't know at all and both of us dropped the F bomb like 9 times each in a 3 minute convo lol, that would NEVER fly in LA. Of course what I am saying does not apply to everyone and I'm speaking of my social class of NYers which is mostly native NYers of working class background (of all colors) that mostly live in the outer boros. Plenty of Manhattan yuppies and transplant hipsters in "cool brooklyn" like Williamsburg or Bushwick are more like Californians than us but those classes tend not mix much. I go to different bars and clubs and hang out at different locations than hipsters and same for them and rich yuppies. There is a small racial divide here not socially but in living situations (neighborhoods are a little more segregated between black/white/Asian and Spanish) but when it comes to hanging out the divides are between poor/working class natives, transplant trendy hipster types and of course rich people like finance fat cats and such. The only time we encounter each other is on the subway which everyone rides from billionaires down to crack addicted homeless hookers. I've always liked that about NY, the MTA is the almighty equalizer. Oh and the blanket term for Hispanics is "Spanish people" which would **** people off in LA but even PRs and Dominicans (the main Hispanic groups here will describes themselves as "Spanish people" especially NY born ones.

Of course I'm from the area so this is just home, your experience may vary

Old 02-28-2015, 05:09 PM

23,524 posts, read 24,006,421 times
I agree, people in LA are generally more "politically correct" and usually won't discuss sensitive topics. New Yorkers will "get in your face" and make racist jokes (to be funny) and discuss non-politically correct topics. LA people are more casually dressed than New Yorker's are. New Yorkers are more brash.

New Yorkers have a reputation for being rude, but in general, I find people in LA to be even ruder.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:32 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
New Yorkers generally posses vestigial tails. Other than that, pretty much the same.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:41 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
New Yorkers generally posses vestigial tails. Other than that, pretty much the same.
You mean like stubby, little tails and bloated appendices?

Old 03-01-2015, 09:43 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times
Seems like LA people were described as a bunch of midwesterners.

Very accurate because Angelenos are more or less just a bunch of midwesterners. If they are not a transplant themselves, their parents were, or at the very longest their grandparents were. This goes for the white Americans, not the others.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:47 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times
Is another difference that in NY they don't believe in paragraphs? Just askin' ;0

Old 03-01-2015, 09:52 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Seems like LA people were described as a bunch of midwesterners.

Very accurate because Angelenos are more or less just a bunch of midwesterners. If they are not a transplant themselves, their parents were, or at the very longest their grandparents were. This goes for the white Americans, not the others.
That isn't accurate at all! When I was a kid in LA in the fifties, many of my friends had grandparents back in NY or Jersey as well as other eastern locals. Ever since WWII there has been a steady flow of easterners into all of Ca., especially LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.