Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:58 AM

7 posts, read 5,318 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

My husband and I are moving in May and need some advice on where to relocate. We are a couple in our early 30's, no kids, enjoy fitness, and prefer a more laidback lifestyle. We work from home with an income around 90,000, so access to jobs is not a concern. We need to move on the Western half of the US and will only be looking into that area of the country at this point.

A few areas we really have enjoyed: Nashville & Franklin, TN, Western North Carolina, all of Rhode Island and Massachusetts, coastal Maine, Long Beach, Newport Beach & Laguna Beach, CA, Northern Georgia, rural Kansas, rural Arizona, Pittsburgh

Areas we would prefer never to visit again: Chicago, Tampa/Orlando, Savannah GA

We like areas with a good mix of nature, but easy access to a city (within a 2 hour drive) if we want to go out on a Saturday. Lots of hiking/biking within a few hour drive would be ideal. Weather is not a big concern as we have lived in all different areas. We would prefer an area that is more leisure based rather than a 9-5 work atmosphere. Basically we are looking for lots of interesting things to do in the state and surrounding states. Rent max would be 1500-2000, although if paying near the upper range would like something nice.

Any suggestions would be helpful! We are really stuck and have no idea where to start! Unfortunately, we are unable to visit anywhere before we move, however, we have the ability to relocate if we do not like the area.

Thanks for the help - I look forward to your ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
I would definitely suggest Colorado.

From Denver, you can actually be in the mountains within, at most, 45 minutes and almost all the mountain resorts are within a two-hour drive. Many, if not most, people here are very much into physical fitness, with many people going rock climbing and bicycling on the weekends. Rents and house payments are easily within your price range.

Specifically, if you really like nature, you might consider the fairly small town of Evergreen. A VERY nice community that is only about 45 minutes from downtown Denver, but it feels miles and miles away from it. If you want something more urban, Boulder is a consideration, but it is definitely a college town and (as you have probably heard) VERY liberal.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Given your budget, desire for easily accessible outdoor recreation and a laidback lifestyle not as centered around the 9-5 workday places like Fort Collins CO, Park City UT or Bozeman MT would be great fits in my opinion.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given your budget, desire for easily accessible outdoor recreation and a laidback lifestyle not as centered around the 9-5 workday places like Fort Collins CO, Park City UT or Bozeman MT would be great fits in my opinion.
I love Bozeman! Great place with lots of open space and a nice little downtown. Unfortunately, there isn't much available in the way of rentals - Will keep looking, hopefully something comes up. I also have been looking into Utah and Colorado as well as Eastern Washington.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:26 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,013,955 times
if you like Newport Beach, Long Beach and Laguna Beach, Try Huntington Beach where you can still find rentals near the harbor and the beach within your price range.

Easy drive tio all your favorite places plus a wetlands nature reserve for a daily walk.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:38 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingWest15 View Post
I love Bozeman! Great place with lots of open space and a nice little downtown. Unfortunately, there isn't much available in the way of rentals - Will keep looking, hopefully something comes up. I also have been looking into Utah and Colorado as well as Eastern Washington.
I'd be remiss in not mentioning Missoula MT which has a similar vibe to Bozeman, is also a college town (U of Montana) and could be worth checking out too. I had another thought as well which might work given you won't be job dependent and want that outdoorsy vibe, which is South Lake Tahoe CA. It's a gorgeous area and also very much worth a look in my opinion.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:43 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Estes Park, CO; or virtually anywhere west of I-25, from Colorado Springs north and westward within in the state.

Add North Idaho (Sandpoint and Coeur d'Alene) if you're considering Eastern WA, but I don't really think you'll "find your crowd" in that area.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
if you like Newport Beach, Long Beach and Laguna Beach, Try Huntington Beach where you can still find rentals near the harbor and the beach within your price range.

Easy drive tio all your favorite places plus a wetlands nature reserve for a daily walk.
I do like Huntington Beach - used to visit all the time when I lived in the LA area. Great bike path and that BocaChica reserve you mentioned is a nice escape. Unfortunately, $2000 would probably still get us a small 2 bedroom rental.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd be remiss in not mentioning Missoula MT which has a similar vibe to Bozeman, is also a college town (U of Montana) and could be worth checking out too. I had another thought as well which might work given you won't be job dependent and want that outdoorsy vibe, which is South Lake Tahoe CA. It's a gorgeous area and also very much worth a look in my opinion.
Never been to Missoula, I will look into it. As for Lake Tahoe - love the area that's where I would love a vacation home. However, for our price the rentals look a little shabby - old brown carpeting, small kitchens, etc.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Estes Park, CO; or virtually anywhere west of I-25, from Colorado Springs north and westward within in the state.

Add North Idaho (Sandpoint and Coeur d'Alene) if you're considering Eastern WA, but I don't really think you'll "find your crowd" in that area.
I'm not really that big a fan of Idaho, although Boise is the one exception. Small, quiet city with lots of recreation and located within a day's drive of most attractions I would want to visit.

What do you mean by "not your crowd" in Eastern Washington? We have been looking at areas like Wentachee. It looks like there are lots of trails and biking. Is this in reference to healthy restaurants and fitness enthusiasts? Please explain further so we don't mistakenly move to the wrong area! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.