Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York is more similar to
New England 54 51.43%
Maryland/DC 51 48.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:24 AM

93,205 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And where did that happen? I clearly said that if P.G. County were a "10," then Long Island would be a "4." That's not a whole metro to a portion of a metro comparison. That's a portion of a metro to a portion of a metro comparison.

We can really cut through the bull by getting you to answer a simple question (which is really what the thread is asking): is the concentration of the Black population in the Tri-State area more similar to that of metro Boston or metro DC?
With metro Boston and Long Island.

Also, it didn't ask about metro DC, but about Maryland. Just to answer your question though, it appears that the Tri State area is closer to metro DC than metro Boston in terms of percentage: BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population In terms of makeup, I'd say it is closer to metro Boston. In terms of concentrations, all 3 are different.

I will say that the southern Windsor/Bloomfield concentration in the Hartford metro has a pretty high Black percentage and is probably the best example in New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 11:33 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
With metro Boston and Long Island.

Also, it didn't ask about metro DC, but about Maryland. Just to answer your question though, it appears that the Tri State area is closer to metro DC than metro Boston in terms of percentage: BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population In terms of makeup, I'd say it is closer to metro Boston. In terms of concentrations, all 3 are different.

I will say that the southern Windsor/Bloomfield concentration in the Hartford metro has a pretty high Black percentage and is probably the best example in New England.
Thank you. I think that puts the discussion to rest.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Thank you. I think that puts the discussion to rest.
No, that was the answer to your question in regards to the odd comparison between the two.

That middle section answer the last question in that previous post.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:10 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,258 times
So what about this "mid-Atlantic" thing that links New York to Maryland/DC but not to New England?

Old 04-01-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopieheadman View Post
Lets not forget that the frontier started around Syracuse/Rochester area, which could be why the Eastern part of Upstate NY feels more New Englandish (Albany is one of the oldest cities in the US and there were important battles and forts in the Mohawk and Hudson Valley) and Western NY feels more Midwestern.

Geography plays a role as Eastern Upstate NY is more river valleys and literally right after Utica to Syracuse its almost entirely flat. The vibe immediately changes from New England to Midwestern, but Allbany and Buffalo are not really similar cities as Buffalo is more post-war in feel and architecture.

I wouldn't view Upstate NY in one lens whatsoever.
Syracuse to Utica is flat from around the Thruway/Route 5/20 north, with mountains North/NE of Utica and hills and valleys to the south of both cities.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No, that was the answer to your odd comparison between the two.

That middle section answer the last question in that previous post.
That didn't answer the question. The question isn't whether they are different; the question is whether the AA concentration in the NY region is more similar to Boston or DC.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
So what about this "mid-Atlantic" thing that links New York to Maryland/DC but not to New England?
I think it is a matter of geography in relation to the whole Atlantic Coast. I don't think it is necessarily cultural, if at all.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:35 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,258 times
I think a mid-Atlantic identity centered around DC exists. But it isn't one region that stretches all the way from New York to Virginia.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:39 PM

65 posts, read 67,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
I think a mid-Atlantic identity centered around DC exists. But it isn't one region that stretches all the way from New York to Virginia.
The Mid Atlantic is centered on Philadelphia and Baltimore areas, not DC. DC is on the periphery. Virginia and NYC are on the edge and sometimes included for NYC and NOVA but definitely not always.

Solidly Mid Atlantic states are MD, PA, NJ and DE. These states are ALWAYS the mid Atlantic. Look up anything titled Mid Atlantic, like little league world series, food distribution, accents, you name it and these are the areas covered by Mid Atlantic. At my work even I am in the mid atlantic branch of the company and it includes NY, MD, DE, PA, and NJ. I see it with NY a lot more than Virginia but both a peripheral thanks to NYC and NOVA.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelp88 View Post
Look up anything titled Mid Atlantic, like little league world series, food distribution, accents, you name it and these are the areas covered by Mid Atlantic.
What about the U.S. Census definition of Middle Atlantic?

http://www.eia.gov/consumption/comme...s/cendivco.gif

Is Maryland a Mid Atlantic and South Atlantic state? Or were the Census Bureau geographers smoking something when they created these regions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.