Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 01:27 AM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 537,115 times

Advertisements

No place exists preserved in Amber, some places have change so much in so little time. I mean look at my hometown Los Angeles the same neighborhood where the valley girls lived in 1995 or something are now filled up with illegals and gangbangers and other areas that were once terrible ghettos are now havens for hipster types. In New York old-school neighborhoods filled with Italians are now filled with Chinese or Latin American immigrants, and San Francisco has gone from a quirky hippie town to a high tech Mecca filled with frat bro types paying $5000 to share a studio apartment.

In your opinion, which city has changed the least since 1990? Or places change, and I know that but the keyword is the least.

I'm not talking about some small town in the Great Plains but I mean city in the top 20 largest cities in the USA.

Which has experienced the least gentrification? The least mass immigration? The least flood of transplants following up a new booming industry? Etc etc.

Not asking for a place to live I'm just asking what in your opinion is the city that changed the least.

I'm not expecting people to still be dressed like 30 years ago or like the same music obviously because fads and things like that do change and we all have access to TV radio and the Internet. But what place would someone who hasn't been there in a long while visit and not say "What the heck happened?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 01:56 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,725 times
I'd say Philly and Boston. Those two cities haven't changed that much in demographics in the last 20 years.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:21 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,930 times
Pittsburgh. At least over the ten years I was there off and on. A neighborhood changes here or there, but for the most part it has stayed the same.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Pittsburgh. At least over the ten years I was there off and on. A neighborhood changes here or there, but for the most part it has stayed the same.
Yes I would say ....Pittsburgh too. It kept a larger % of its White blue collar population and less radical Change of its neighborhoods by White flight and much smaller Latino influx, then most other Big Northern and Midwestern cities. But Downtown Pittsburgh? I am sure, had a lot of change?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Yes I would say ....Pittsburgh too. It kept a larger % of its White blue collar population and less radical Change of its neighborhoods by White flight and much smaller Latino influx, then most other Big Northern and Midwestern cities. But Downtown Pittsburgh? I am sure, had a lot of change?
Downtown Pittsburgh did not change much as far as skyscrapers. At street level downtown Pittsburgh has been totally transformed. Historic preservation is Pittsburgh's greatest accomplishment. The amount of historic preservation in the Penn Liberty historic district is astonishing. Especially considering that Penn Avenue was desolate, dark, and uninviting in the early 2000s. Penn Avenue now has retail and restaurants on the first floor of historic buildings with apartments above. Pittsburghs riverfront park system continues to mature as well as downtown Pittsburgh urban Parklets.

Pittsburgh is also home to some of the largest green buildings on earth. PNC Firstside Center, 3 PNC Plaza, The Tower @ PNC Plaza, BNY Mellon Client Service Center, and the new David L Lawrence Convention Center.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Youngstown/Warren, OH. Holy God it's so weird driving down the streets there! It's like a flashback to the 80's! It's been at least 2 decades since I last played at or have even seen a "Putt-Putt" mini-golf course, but lo and behold there's one in Warren.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:10 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 537,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Downtown Pittsburgh did not change much as far as skyscrapers. At street level downtown Pittsburgh has been totally transformed. Historic preservation is Pittsburgh's greatest accomplishment. The amount of historic preservation in the Penn Liberty historic district is astonishing. Especially considering that Penn Avenue was desolate, dark, and uninviting in the early 2000s. Penn Avenue now has retail and restaurants on the first floor of historic buildings with apartments above. Pittsburghs riverfront park system continues to mature as well as downtown Pittsburgh urban Parklets.

Pittsburgh is also home to some of the largest green buildings on earth. PNC Firstside Center, 3 PNC Plaza, The Tower @ PNC Plaza, BNY Mellon Client Service Center, and the new David L Lawrence Convention Center.
That sounds horrid

Old 03-31-2015, 01:36 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Probably Detroit. A demographic map of the city in 1990 doesn't look all that different from a demographic map in 2010. However, Detroit appears to have some edges around the city limits that were largely White in 1990 that have almost no Whites today.

I don't agree with Philadelphia. In 1990, there were very few Hispanics in South Philadelphia with a budding Asian population. By 2013, South Philly was on the verge of seeing at least two majority Asian census tracts (they've probably gotten there by now).

Old 03-31-2015, 02:14 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
I'd say Rochester, NY.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:16 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
The Capital District in New York ( Albany, Schenectady, Troy). Very old cities, very little has changed in decades..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.