Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:09 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,654,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LecherousLothario View Post
Which is absolute fool talk of course.

There's only one city supremely synonymous with the Mid-Atlantic States, and it also happens to be the biggest city in the country.

After that, Philly would be the junior mascot for sure.

Chesapeake? That's right funny, there.

no. I pretty much associate mid-atlantic with eating blue crabs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 07:45 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
no. I pretty much associate mid-atlantic with eating blue crabs
Well Blue crabs live from Cape Cod all the way south to Argentina in South America so that is a pretty broad definition of Mid-Atlantic!

It does seem to me that some people down in Maryland and Virginia are associating Mid-Atlantic primarily with the old Tidewater region.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:35 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,328 times
Quote:
Honestly, I just think it's a case of different strokes for different folks.

I have no doubt or arguement that Virginny has a whole bunch of nuanced culture and mannerism from it's northern neighbors and a good bit of it's identity more in common with us up here vs. Johnny Rebel down below.

It's only that where I'm from, VA is considered more southern, with Maryland being a sharp defining boundry which at best to us up here, is most certainly thought of as outlying as opposed to central Mid-Atlantic. Hell, we many times even consider DE outlying and a boundry to the region.

I think most people in the tri-state area tend to feel it wholly embodies the Mid-Atlantic region, and that's pretty much about it, with DE getting a pass to hop on board the gravy train. Maryland is hard for me to reconcile, but I do acknowledge that there is a part of me and others born and raised in NJ/NY at least, that in part, lump(blue crab) it in, along with D.C. as part of our general area of the country.

Bottom line, there is no one true answer here. Wikipedia is not God, and no one posting in the thread has any more true authority than someone else.

We're not New England, we're not Mid-West, we're not the South.....and we sure as hell ain't West Virginia (from my experience, save for that extreme eastern panhandle Harper's Ferry region you can commute to D.C. on the train from, it's a completely different culture. Beautiful natural state though).

I'd go for Maryland though as an outlying member, close enough to being true anyway. My two bits anyway.

..."And dat, is dat."
What is Mid-Atlantic about North Jersey, NYC, and CT? I admit it, I have trouble even seeing Philadelphia as Mid-Atlantic. I see nothing in NYC that shows that New Yorkers view themselves as Mid-Atlantic.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:08 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,654,979 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
What is Mid-Atlantic about North Jersey, NYC, and CT? I admit it, I have trouble even seeing Philadelphia as Mid-Atlantic. I see nothing in NYC that shows that New Yorkers view themselves as Mid-Atlantic.
Maryland Is the midatlantic region lets be clear here. DC on a map is represented by a star on the middle (Mid) of the east coast. (Atlantic)

Old 03-31-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Maryland Is the midatlantic region lets be clear here. DC on a map is represented by a star on the middle (Mid) of the east coast. (Atlantic)
I hear you but the other guy was saying that people in the Tri-State themselves as a whole embodiment of what is Mid-Atlantic. The Tri-State areas the term used to classify their region and then Northeast, North, Up Top, whatever in my experience. When I'm in DC, MD, and Va, it is all Mid-Atlantic then. He's using the older Middle Colony definition.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:02 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,771 times
Northeast (Where you are undoubtedly in the North)
New England- CT, RI, MA, ME, NH, VT
North Atlantic- PA, NY, NJ

Mid Atlantic (The gray area, not clear and cut. Where you are in the transitional area due to the commonalities with both the South and North)
DE (possibly minus the extreme northern end of DE), MD, Northern quarter of VA

Southeast (Where you are undoubtedly in the South)
South Atlantic- The rest of VA, NC, SC, GA, FL
Rate this post positively

Old 03-31-2017, 01:18 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,739 times
I don't think it's accurate to consider a place like NY as Mid Atlantic when it extends all the way up to Canada. Maybe NYC itself but the whole state? That doesn't seem right. I think NJ definitely is though as it extends past Delaware, Baltimore etc at it's southern end all of which are considered Mid Atlantic. You can even hear the difference in accents between south and north jersey. South jersey natives have that Delaware river valley accent...I think that's what it's called. But it's definitely noticeable and it took me by surprise when I went down there and heard the way people talk. I had no idea that was a thing.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 03-31-2017 at 01:28 PM..

Old 03-31-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Tri-State is not some archaic phrase my young lad, I can assure thee of this

Let me ask you, what state are you originally from, born-and raised, that you see Virginia as Mid-Atlantic?

Pray tell.
I didn't say or imply that "Tri-State" was archaic. I was talking about how the official Middle Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA) probably came from the Middle Colonies (NY, NJ, PA, and DE).

Born in Atlanta and partially raised there. Lived in VA. One of my parents was raised in Upstate and Western NY.

None of my relatives talk about Mid-Atlantic in Albany, Roc, Syr, etc but when I'm in MD and VA, I see and hear that being used. My reluctantance to include N Jersey and NY in it is because they have a very different culture and identity than what you'd find around the Chesapeake. Your average Tri-State resident (outside of LI) would probably mess over steamed blue crab. I could add more but it's just a different vibe in the Tri-State area.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:13 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I don't think it's accurate to consider a place like NY as Mid Atlantic when it extends all the way up to Canada. Maybe NYC itself but the whole state? That doesn't seem right. I think NJ definitely is though as it extends past Delaware, Baltimore etc at it's southern end all of which are considered Mid Atlantic. You can even hear the difference in accents between south and north jersey. South jersey natives have that Delaware river valley accent...I think that's what it's called. But it's definitely noticeable and it took me by surprise when I went down there and heard the way people talk. I had no idea that was a thing.
I don't think its accurate to describe Washington as a Pacific Northwest State when it extends all the way to Idaho.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:26 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I don't think its accurate to describe Washington as a Pacific Northwest State when it extends all the way to Idaho.
In the broad definition Idaho is considered part of the Pacific Northwest as is part of Northern California (not the whole state).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.