Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:28 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

What states can you think of that only have one dominant city without a clear "second" city? Here are the ones I can think of.

Connecticut - Hartford
Delaware - Dover
Georgia - Atlanta
Hawaii - Honolulu
Idaho - Boise
Illinois - Chicago
Indiana - Indianapolis
Iowa - Des Moines
Maine - Portland
Maryland (excluding DC metro) - Baltimore
Massachusetts - Boston
Montana - Billings
Nevada - Las Vegas
North Dakota - Bismark
Oregon - Portland
Rhode Island - Providence
Utah - Salt Lake City
West Virginia - Charleston
Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Wyoming - Casper

Do you agree with these? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:55 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
The second city of Iowa is the Cedar Rapids-Iowa City corridor and the second city of Wisconsin is Madison.
The primary city of North Dakota is also definitely Fargo, not Bismarck.

Otherwise I think you're mostly right.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:21 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Wilmington is Delaware's dominant city, not Dover.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:21 AM

183 posts, read 249,631 times
You left out..

Washington - Seattle

While there's no doubt Atlanta dominates Georgia, I believe Savannah is the clear second city. It's one of the most historically revered cities in America as well as having a major port and decent economic base.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:10 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
I was just about to say GA doesn't belong on that list. Savannah is a city that can stand on its own.

Why Casper and not Cheyenne?

I don't agree with Washington. Tacoma has its own ability to sustain itself doesn't?

Old 04-14-2015, 05:42 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
While there's no doubt Atlanta dominates Georgia, I believe Savannah is the clear second city. It's one of the most historically revered cities in America as well as having a major port and decent economic base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I was just about to say GA doesn't belong on that list. Savannah is a city that can stand on its own.
I think the only reason why it might be said that this isn't clear is because Savannah isn't the second largest city or metro or has the second-largest economy in GA; that would be Augusta. I know it doesn't get the notoriety Savannah gets, but it somewhat makes "second city" status a little less clear overall.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 04-14-2015 at 06:59 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 05:52 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
Either, or. GA isn't just Atlanta that's for sure.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:16 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Wisconsin has a clear second city, and it's Madison.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:28 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Connecticut has quite a few other cities like New Haven, Bridgeport and Stamford that are similar in size.

Montana has Missoula and Great Falls.

Cheyenne is bigger than Casper in Wyoming.

Huntington is the second city in WV, with the North Central and Eastern Panhandle growing.

Oregon has Eugene and Salem.

Massachusetts has Springfield, Worcester and some may view New Bedford/Fall River as close enough for a 4th separate urban area.

Nevada has Reno.

Illinois has smaller areas like Rockford, Peoria, Springfield and perhaps Metro East of the St Louis area.

Fargo and Grand Forks are bigger than Bismarck in North Dakota.

Indiana has Fort Wayne and perhaps South Bend, Evansville, as well as the NW Indiana and parts of the Louisville area(Jeffersonville, New Albany, etc).

Utah has the Ogden and Provo-Orem areas.

Washington also has Spokane and perhaps the Vancouver portion of the Portland metro.

Some may say Pocatello for Idaho and perhaps Bangor or Lewiston-Auburn for Maine. Providence pretty much encompasses the whole state in its metro. Maryland and Hawaii are pretty much dominated by 1 city.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:32 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
I would disagree with MT, WY, NV, ND and WA in particular. Some state like UT have other "cities", but the Wasatch Front is pretty much one, long, north-south metro. CO has Denver, but there's a permanent buffer between Castle Rock and CO Springs and once you clear Monument Hill, this area is culturally and geographically different than Northern CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.