Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one would you rather live in?
Big City 36 48.65%
Small Town 17 22.97%
Rural Area 13 17.57%
ANOTHER PLANET! 8 10.81%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 03:55 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times

Advertisements

A perfect size city for me is with a population of 500,000 to 2.5 million.

I wouldn't shy away from cities with a population of 200,000 to 500,000 as long as they have a good amount of vibrancy, amenities, interesting culture(s), decent/reasonable COL, and a growing economy.

Btw, I picked big city. If there were more options along with a multiple vote, I would've also chosen inner suburb too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 08:52 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
A perfect size city for me is with a population of 500,000 to 2.5 million.

I wouldn't shy away from cities with a population of 200,000 to 500,000 as long as they have a good amount of vibrancy, amenities, interesting culture(s), decent/reasonable COL, and a growing economy.

Btw, I picked big city. If there were more options along with a multiple vote, I would've also chosen inner suburb too.
I prefer big cities like NYC and LA. Big and vast. But as far as mid-size cities ranging from 200-500k, even those can be incredibly vibrant. Which I like.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:04 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,222 times
My vote, small town thats closeby to a big city. Its just what im use to. I enjoy the small town pace but have the option of dining, entertainment, nightlife ect within 40 minute drive or less. Perfect for me!

by small town, I mean $30k pop or less.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:47 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
If money was no hinderance a big city easily.
Grew up in a big city, would love to move back to the city (in my old neighborhood which is like a town
in itself) but the COL sky-rocketed. We always thought that as we reached retirement, we wanted
the amenities and excellent health care that a big city had to offer.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:52 PM

93 posts, read 101,275 times
Grew up in a small town which has been a great experience. Formed strong bonds with friends and family.
But since my work is in the city, I'm young and single..the city has seemed more and more attractive.

I'm glad i've stayed in the burbs for the time that I have...but think its time to try something new!

Old 05-02-2015, 06:47 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Small town! We live in a town of about 4.000 people in Michigan that is within a 40 minute drive to more urban, cosmopolitan, areas so it's just perfect. Safe, quiet, everyone knows everyone and looks out for each other...just some of the benefits of small town living. I also grew up in a small town in Ohio, so it's kind of in my blood, I guess.

We visited Chicago last weekend and had a great time enjoying all of the amenities. I think I could do the high rise, urban condo in the sky routine for about a year, just for something different, but then the idea of never being alone unless i was in my own little space would start to wear on me, I think, not to mention the lack of wide open nature areas for walking.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:58 PM

90 posts, read 147,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Small town! We live in a town of about 4.000 people in Michigan that is within a 40 minute drive to more urban, cosmopolitan, areas so it's just perfect. Safe, quiet, everyone knows everyone and looks out for each other...just some of the benefits of small town living. I also grew up in a small town in Ohio, so it's kind of in my blood, I guess.

We visited Chicago last weekend and had a great time enjoying all of the amenities. I think I could do the high rise, urban condo in the sky routine for about a year, just for something different, but then the idea of never being alone unless i was in my own little space would start to wear on me, I think, not to mention the lack of wide open nature areas for walking.
I hate everybody knowing who I am.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:31 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I'd choose a small city, large town and live just outside. I'd like that small city to be a reasonable distance from a large(er) city.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:55 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,083 times
Big cities or at least mid-sized cities. I grew up in a mid sized city (population around 600 000) and it had everything I needed. I can visit small towns for a short while but there's now way I can live in a small town permanently, it would be torture for me. But I love the entertainment, dining, shopping, and other convenient amenities and options in big cities. So I prefer big cities the most. But I voted for another planet because let's face it, our world is not a pretty place, at least with humans on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.