Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 10:26 PM

90 posts, read 147,646 times

Advertisements

NYC has a lot of people, so more potential customers, but it's probably more expensive to start a business there. I imagine the same for LA and SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:28 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Depends on the kind of business, but anywhere would work. It'd obviously be more expensive to run one in any of the big cities. But there are many small restaurants in tiny cities that thrive and make a huge profit. It's all about the desirability in that location.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Depends on the kind of business, but anywhere would work. It'd obviously be more expensive to run one in any of the big cities. But there are many small restaurants in tiny cities that thrive and make a huge profit. It's all about the desirability in that location.
I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in living in a small town/rural area after I am able to leave this small town/rural area. It's not the kind of place that is worth living in to me.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWithNoName View Post
I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in living in a small town/rural area after I am able to leave this small town/rural area. It's not the kind of place that is worth living in to me.
I wasn't implying a small town/rural area. There are cities that only have a population of 200-300 thousand and yet are incredibly vibrant, which is what I was saying about businesses making a tons of money in mid-size cities without the huge costs of running one in America's biggest cities.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I wasn't implying a small town/rural area. There are cities that only have a population of 200-300 thousand and yet are incredibly vibrant.
Give examples.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:02 PM
PDF

Quote:
Give examples.
College towns are one example, but I'll exclude those. Orlando, Tampa, Buffalo, Newark, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Cleveland. I'm sure there are more. There's a fine line between a big city and a small town. Mid-size cities aren't even close to being like a rural area.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
College towns are one example, but I'll exclude those. Orlando, Tampa, Buffalo, Newark, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Cleveland. I'm sure there are more. There's a fine line between a big city and a small town. Mid-size cities aren't even close to being like a rural area.
The businesses I would want to start (of course only even attempting to start one at first) are mobile phone network (like AT&T or Verizon or Sprint), a Fiber Broadband Internet Service Provider (if wired Internet is still relevant), a TV and Movie streaming service, everything I want to do seems to be expensive to start. Most people just shoot me down and say you can never do that. The idea of having a "normal" job for life with a boss, sounds depressing.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:12 PM
PDF

Quote:
The businesses I would want to start (of course only even attempting to start one at first) are mobile phone network (like AT&T or Verizon or Sprint), a Fiber Broadband Internet Service Provider (if wired Internet is still relevant), a TV and Movie streaming service, everything I want to do seems to be expensive to start. Most people just shoot me down and say you can never do that. The idea of having a "normal" job for life with a boss, sounds depressing.
Because you can never do that. You can certainly start your own business one day, but it won't be one of the things you mentioned. You should focus on creating a life for yourself first. Having a business to run seems to be an extremely low priority for you right now.

You are completely daydreaming.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:55 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
OP- you can't do any of the things you noted. They are not one man gigs. They require tremendous financial capital, business strategy and are huge multi person corporations, not work at home enterprises. You can certainly be self employed in the computer industry, you just have to figure out where you would fit in and where to get the needed training.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Because you can never do that. You can certainly start your own business one day, but it won't be one of the things you mentioned. You should focus on creating a life for yourself first. Having a business to run seems to be an extremely low priority for you right now.

You are completely daydreaming.
How else will I ever make a lot of money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.