Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 10:47 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I've been to Grand Rapids before. I didn't note anything particularly Northern European feeling about it. I've also been to Staten Island, which is around one-third Italian. It didn't feel much like Italy even though it still has a fair number of Italian speakers.

How many people in the Grand Rapids metro speak Finnish?
None. People in the UP speak Finnish.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:51 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post

Architecture-wise, GR looks like Milwaukee or the near West Side or near South Side of Chicago.

GR and Pgh are both hilly cities.
Hmm. I am not that familiar with Grand Rapids, but the parts of town I saw looked nothing like Milwaukee, much less south and west Chicago. Looked more like Omaha/Indy/Toledo/Minneapolis type built environment. And it was pretty flat, especially compared to Pittsburgh. Reminded me more of Des Moines than anything else I can think of.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:58 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Well when you drive from Detroit and reach Grand Rapids, it does...lol. If you go to the Upper Peninsula, the majority of the people are of Finnish decent, and some still speak it at home. People in Grand Rapids have a strong sense of community and there is a robust civil society.

The Western Michigan Dutch

holland, mi - Bing Images
Yeah but those are pretty much where the differences end. One thing that ties those people together is their heavy Calvinistic traditions and beliefs, not just their ethnicity. Such an idea is not to be found in the Netherlands.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Hmm. I am not that familiar with Grand Rapids, but the parts of town I saw looked nothing like Milwaukee, much less south and west Chicago. Looked more like Omaha/Indy/Toledo/Minneapolis type built environment. And it was pretty flat, especially compared to Pittsburgh. Reminded me more of Des Moines than anything else I can think of.
I said NEAR South and West sides. Sorry to cause confusion. The Near West Side and Near South Side are areas near the central business district. The more common housing stock on the FAR South and West Sides I agree is very unique and consists mostly of bungalows, two and three flats, and large brick condos.

Flat? GR is flat in some areas, yes. But there are definitely hills. Nowhere near Pgh level but more than Chicago.

Also I think Indy and Milwaukee's architecture is similar. Indy may not have the common two flats seen in Chicago and Milwaukee, but other than that, these cities all share architecture in common. Chicago stands out with its large collection of bungalows, and Milwaukee does to a smaller extent as well. These aren't as common in the GR or Indy areas. But if you go on interstates 90/94 in Chicago near downtown, or drive along 65 near downtown Indy, or 94 near downtown Milwaukee, or 96 near downtown Grand Rapids, and you look at the residential property types, they're all very similar.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:38 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Very accurate statement considering the highest HIV/AIDS rates of the nation are in Miami-Dade county.

Also, two official designations exist for armpit of America. Makes sense, as everyone would have two armpits. But, Ohio isn't one of them. In the West (the left armpit), Battle Mountain in Nevada is one armpit. The Eastern armpit is the entire state of New Jersey.
Well, at least it's not Belle Glade, FL. That's one town I'm too afraid to step in. Trailer park hell, with an extremely high HIV rate.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:33 PM

650 posts, read 867,729 times
I think Ohio should stay what it is. It's a Midwest state and should stay that way.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:59 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
"Ohio should be considered a Northeastern state."

No.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:14 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,587 times
Western Ohio is nothing like the NE. Also, I have never heard Dayton locals say it 'dayon'.. Not at all. Maybe they were drunk if you ever heard it. Anyways, at least for western Ohio natives, there are no accents that come close to the northeastern speech including NJ or NY. Big, big difference. To me, distance doesn't have much to do with it but rather culture and the social differences. I cannot say much about eastern Ohio, maybe it is different I am not sure, only speaking for more central and western area. I much more identify it with the Midwest then NE.

Why so many of these threads..

Old 10-16-2015, 08:49 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Well, at least it's not Belle Glade, FL. That's one town I'm too afraid to step in. Trailer park hell, with an extremely high HIV rate.
It's somehow produced over 60 NFL players.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:41 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Eastern Ohio has many similarities to western PA and western NY and northern WV.

In that regard it feels more northeastern-northern Appalachian. Honestly though, once you get west/north of the hills and out of Cleveland Ohio is clearly more typical of the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.