Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:19 AM

375 posts, read 800,431 times

Advertisements

For example, I live in Central Nebraska about 2 hours west of Omaha. I'm at the start of the Sandhills region, but there are still enough farmers around here that it feels midwestern, even if it's a transition zone. If I go about 2 hours west though it feels more western. There's more of a ranching culture and its extremely remote. Also there's no crop agriculture whatsoever except for the rare irrigated field.

Anyway what makes a place western or midwestern? I've heard some people say Kansas City is western (it might have been historically but its the quintessential midwest, same could be said about Omaha or for a southern equivalent Dallas or Houston. I think we can agree though that Colorado on west is the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 11:34 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
I don't know if there is truly all THAT much difference. There are great overlaps in every region of the U.S.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:05 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
West = Lots of mountains, mostly Protestant whites of mixed British/Continental origins and Mexicans, desert scrub, conifer forests, warm to hot weather generally though many areas are very cold in the winter, libertarians, shy quiet laid back people, not particularly religious aside from Utah

Midwest = Lots of farmland, mostly continental Europeans with blacks in the city limits, humid continental climate with frigid winters and short but warm summers, practical friendly people, moderately religious (mostly Protestant) aside from Wisconsin which isn't very religious

South = A matrix of forest, wetland and farmland with lots of hills in some areas, mostly Anglo-Celtic whites and blacks, humid subtropical climate with moderately cold winters and very muggy warm summers, very religious (again mostly Protestant) though fun-loving for the most part, generally friendly people

Northeast = A mix of forest, farmland and mountains. Weather is similar to the Midwest. White population is largely non-Protestant unlike the other regions, with many Irish and Italian Catholics as well as Jews. Though the Northeast is nearly as non-religious as the West. Significant black, Hispanic, and Asian populations too, probably the most multiracial region of the country. People are generally extroverted in the Northeast and speak what's on their mind; passive aggressive is like a foreign language there.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:07 PM

In other words, the Midwest is like New Sweden and the West is pretty much Mexico North. They couldn't be any MORE different, though the Great Plains is like both really. It has the flatness of the Midwest and the barrenness of the West put into one.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:33 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Midwest = Lots of farmland, mostly continental Europeans with blacks in the city limits, humid continental climate with frigid winters and short but warm summers, practical friendly people, moderately religious (mostly Protestant) aside from Wisconsin which isn't very religious
Quote:
In other words, the Midwest is like New Sweden and the West is pretty much Mexico North. They couldn't be any MORE different, though the Great Plains is like both really. It has the flatness of the Midwest and the barrenness of the West put into one.
I'm assuming the Midwest is majority Catholic since the Catholic counties on the map hit the huge population centers.
https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-ap...791.jpg&w=1484

Also the Midwest isn't very Swedish at all outside of states like Minnesota. The biggest white ethnicity, I believe, is German.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I'm assuming the Midwest is majority Catholic since the Catholic counties on the map hit the huge population centers.
https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-ap...791.jpg&w=1484

Also the Midwest isn't very Swedish at all outside of states like Minnesota. The biggest white ethnicity, I believe, is German.
Nah. Catholic might be the largest single denomination but Protestants combined vastly outnumber them in most parts of the Midwest. And you're right, it's more German than Swedish but yeah the West generally has an Anglo-Mexican cultural vibe while the Midwest is more German-Scandinavian with some Eastern European, Black and Irish undertones.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:41 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,840 times
Quote:
Outside of Kansas, the Great Plains are anything BUT flat.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:34 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Nah. Catholic might be the largest single denomination but Protestants combined vastly outnumber them in most parts of the Midwest. And you're right, it's more German than Swedish but yeah the West generally has an Anglo-Mexican cultural vibe while the Midwest is more German-Scandinavian with some Eastern European, Black and Irish undertones.
True, but, since the Protestants aren't a unified block like the Catholics are, the culture feels vastly more Catholic in a lot of the Midwest, particularly in a lot of the large metros.

Scandinavian influence also takes a major backseat to Irish influence in the majority of the Midwest. The Irish are the second largest ethnicity in the region. Even in a Great Lakes city like Chicago, it's Irish>Scandinavian by far.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:16 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times
Quote:

Northeast = A mix of forest, farmland and mountains. Weather is similar to the Midwest. White population is largely non-Protestant unlike the other regions, with many Irish and Italian Catholics as well as Jews. Though the Northeast is nearly as non-religious as the West. Significant black, Hispanic, and Asian populations too, probably the most multiracial region of the country. People are generally extroverted in the Northeast and speak what's on their mind; passive aggressive is like a foreign language there.
Nah

I'd argue that the West and South are more multiracial than the Northeast.

As for this thread, I think for the most part, it's geographic. However, there are cultural borders that bleed one side into the other, but for the most part, most people don't really live on the cultural boundaries between the regions.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:38 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
As I said in another thread, there is no such thing as western culture. Or midwestern culture, for that matter. But I think defining "western" in terms of landscape and land usage makes a lot of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.