Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 03:16 PM

375 posts, read 800,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think the main difference between the West and Midwest/South is the demeanor of the people. Westerners are very private and more solitary, in my experience, and place a high value on private property whether they are trigger happy ranchers or IP-protecting Silicon Valley moguls. The Midwest and South are more about relationships with other people and religion.
True to an extent. I do hear this in Nebraska though because people will claim that those from western NE (about North Platte on west) aren't that friendly compared to eastern Nebraska folks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 03:19 PM

375 posts, read 800,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
The climate starts changing as you go west of chicago. The terrain gets very interesting once you get an hour and half to the west of Omaha.

3 months above 80
5 months above 75
7 months above 65
9 months above 50
10 months above 40
All months 35 and above

28 inches of rain
26 inches of snow

Where would that be? I live about an hour west of Omaha (in Butler County) and to me the terrain looks the same from about West Omaha until you get near Columbus. On 1-80 i'd say it looks the same until you get past Seward when it all flattens out. However its still mostly farming.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:03 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Where would that be? I live about an hour west of Omaha (in Butler County) and to me the terrain looks the same from about West Omaha until you get near Columbus. On 1-80 i'd say it looks the same until you get past Seward when it all flattens out. However its still mostly farming.
I80 is not a good place to judge Nebraska's geography. There is a sampling bias which skews the results towards a river valley terrain almost entirely.

The terrain does vary some until you hit the sandhills. And ive driven to columbus many times from Omaha. It is about an hour and a half with a few stops on the way. Until you reach it, there are big rolling hills, small rolling hills, river valleys and the like in the eastern part of the state.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:37 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
The Midwest and West overlap as soon as yer west of the Missouri river. I consider North Dakota down to Kansas the Midwest AND West. They're the transition from the wooded eastern half of the country to the more arid and rugged western half.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:01 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Well. I80 Is the problem. Just north and northwest of GI is the start of a loess and sandhills region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.