Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the Bay Area have a sense of identity and place that exceeds all other metro areas?
yes 5 11.63%
no (can you name area that equals or exceeds it) 38 88.37%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 04:15 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

Does the Bay Area have a sense of identity and place that exceeds all other metro areas? IMHO, it does.

let me make myself clear here. In the vast, vast majority of metro areas in the US, the identity is built upon its major city and the areas around it….Metropolitan New York, Chicagoland, the Los Angeles Area, etc.

some metro areas build their identity around two major cities….the Twin Cities, Dallas-Fort Worth (the Metroplex).

but none seem to package an image of a true region that transcends it component parts. There is no "suburban San Francisco" for places that might fit that category….like Marin and the Peninsula, maintain their separate identity. Indeed, Marin and the Peninsula join San Francisco, San Jose/Silicon Valley, Oakland and the East Bay, and Wine Country as being the parts that fit together to make the whole.

I can't think of any metro area people refer to as its entirty, not core and periphery, as the Bay Area.

then again, I will fully admit this is nothing more than perception. So I'll turn this over to others….

am I right about the Bay Area and it being the one with the greatest sense of place and identity of all others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 05:10 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
When you add San Jose to the equation it becomes CSA and by that metric DC/Baltimore CSA can make an argument.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:16 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Not really. I think New York takes the cake. All the different accents, ethnicities, come together as one identity.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Not really. I think New York takes the cake. All the different accents, ethnicities, come together as one identity.
i think you missed my point. What you describe about metro NY is true, but I maintained that metro NY's identity comes from NYC and in that respect, it is a typical metro area with a central city and suburbs.

what I am suggesting is that the Bay Area's image comes area wide.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
When you add San Jose to the equation it becomes CSA and by that metric DC/Baltimore CSA can make an argument.
but what I was talking about is projection. Baltimore/Washington doesn't project as one area and came into being through two close metro areas merging.

The Bay Area has always included the areas around the bay.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:35 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
There's South Louisiana. Otherwise known as Acadiana, 22 legal Cajun French parishes of South Louisiane.

Last edited by Mwahfromtheheart; 05-12-2015 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Flag :)

Old 05-12-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
but what I was talking about is projection. Baltimore/Washington doesn't project as one area and came into being through two close metro areas merging.

The Bay Area has always included the areas around the bay.
Technically San Jose is not a part of San Francisco MSA.

I will just go ahead and answer the question, the answer is yes the Bay Area has the most pronounced metro IMO. Oakland has a very distinct identity from San Francisco and has three major sports franchises to boost. The East Bay as a whole is very different from San Francisco. You have the two anchor cities and many interesting satellite cities that really gives the Bay an edge in identity. If you through San Jose in the mix you have another large city in the equation.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:57 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
The Bay Area's identity comes from SF. It's sub-regions having their own identities is not really unique at all nor do a lot of people really know much about them.

But I don't exactly get what you're trying to say. If you're saying the Bay Area's sub-regions project the identity of the Bay Area just as much as SF does, I don't agree with that at all.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The Bay Area's identity comes from SF. It's sub-regions having their own identities is not really unique at all nor do a lot of people really know much about them.

But I don't exactly get what you're trying to say. If you're saying the Bay Area's sub-regions project the identity of the Bay Area just as much as SF does, I don't agree with that at all.
More people know about Oakland CA than Naperville IL or Marietta GA. The Bay Area has two major cities to boost in one metro.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:20 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
More people know about Oakland CA than Naperville IL or Marietta GA. The Bay Area has two major cities to boost in one metro.
Fort Lauderdale, Fort Worth, Anaheim, etc....they're all just as well known. Nothing really that unique there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.