Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 05:02 PM

386 posts, read 987,077 times

Advertisements

Good topic, overall. Now if only someone could make an official AA accent map. I agree with many of the observations from the post; however, I beg to differ on the classification of Memphis with Kentucky and West Virginia. I always viewed Memphis as being more similar to Mississippi and Arkansas culturally for AA's. Also, I believe North Carolina should be included in the coastal south instead of the Chesapeake region. I think the differences, even in accent, between AA's in the major metros of Virginia are pretty pronounced compared to those in North Carolina. Also, I have always noticed some similar slang used between the AA's in Tidewater, Richmond, DC, and Baltimore area that is not used in North Carolina. Here are some examples: wellin'/wailin' -lying, fryin'/bakin' -joking, carry/curry-to disrespect, ji in dc/pg jive in Richmond/Tidewater - kind of or sort of, Merlin- (Maryland). Additionally, I noticed the same areas tend to blend northern and southern slang, so you might here son/yo and mayne/shawty in the same conversation for example. I think the west-coast is one of the most interesting regions for AA's because many of the major movies I grew up watching featured LA as the city. Therefore, I have always been curious about life for AA's in California. The AA's I have met from LA so far have represented the laid back stereotype with the stereotypical hard r accent. I haven't met many AA's from the New England area, so the clip you showed me with the accent was interesting, because I have never heard anyone speak in that manner before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 05:11 PM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Is that Livingston county your talking about? I had to spend 3 days in Brighton for a business meeting but it didn't seem too bad. I heard the history of Livingston county is pretty racist though. Something about a "KKK" chapter being there?
When I was going to school in MI, Howell is the place that people would mention, because some Grand Wizard lived there. No lie, the day I arrived on campus, the KKK had a rally at the State Capitol in Lansing. This was in the 90's. With this said, I met some cool people from Brighton.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:37 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,381 times
I agree with alot of what your saying BostonBorn, But the same thing applies out in California, We don't talk about no Eastcoast cities either & plus were too busy in this Cali lifestyle to worry about what happens out of town. Another thing is Cali is not just Mexicans, We have alot of El Salvador, Guatemala, Belezian & South American people.Plus the biggest Asian population in America.

African Americans are a small percentage of population out here cause the population is so big but we still have the 5th highest Black population in the nation.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:20 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
I tried to make it clear Memphis was sort of more delta associated ..western Tennessee really. But I didn't use an asterisk so that's my bad.

Yes that accent is fairly common. we as Blacks don't travel past NYC much and us blacks in new England don't really travel past NY and certainly not past DC much so its understandable if you havent heard it. If you get a chance listen to a shabazz napier interview he has the accent but he tries to cover it for image purposes.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:33 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Good topic, overall. Now if only someone could make an official AA accent map. I agree with many of the observations from the post; however, I beg to differ on the classification of Memphis with Kentucky and West Virginia. I always viewed Memphis as being more similar to Mississippi and Arkansas culturally for AA's. Also, I believe North Carolina should be included in the coastal south instead of the Chesapeake region. I think the differences, even in accent, between AA's in the major metros of Virginia are pretty pronounced compared to those in North Carolina. Also, I have always noticed some similar slang used between the AA's in Tidewater, Richmond, DC, and Baltimore area that is not used in North Carolina. Here are some examples: wellin'/wailin' -lying, fryin'/bakin' -joking, carry/curry-to disrespect, ji in dc/pg jive in Richmond/Tidewater - kind of or sort of, Merlin- (Maryland). Additionally, I noticed the same areas tend to blend northern and southern slang, so you might here son/yo and mayne/shawty in the same conversation for example. I think the west-coast is one of the most interesting regions for AA's because many of the major movies I grew up watching featured LA as the city. Therefore, I have always been curious about life for AA's in California. The AA's I have met from LA so far have represented the laid back stereotype with the stereotypical hard r accent. I haven't met many AA's from the New England area, so the clip you showed me with the accent was interesting, because I have never heard anyone speak in that manner before.
Yea coastal NC got the gullah influence my family is from Wilmington and rural metro Charleston and Florence. My grandma sounds geechee, my mom has a traditional Boston accent with southern words like yall aint Dem and dat and then I have the accent in the video. Were a mixed bag. My brother moved to LA and sounds like a damn locd out alien to me aha yo I hate it

Old 05-25-2015, 09:33 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ok. I just looked it up and didn't realize Texas had a bigger role in blues then most people realize. I know boogie-woogie started in Texas though.
Yes Texas is commonly underrecognized for its crucial role in the development of Black American culture. I'm not even sure why.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:12 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Yes Texas is commonly underrecognized for its crucial role in the development of Black American culture. I'm not even sure why.
Go back to my initial post. Many people do not believe Texas has a large black population.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:17 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
#5 should be higher if we're talking about overall history and culture of African Americans. From the food, to the music.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:11 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea coastal NC got the gullah influence my family is from Wilmington and rural metro Charleston and Florence. My grandma sounds geechee, my mom has a traditional Boston accent with southern words like yall aint Dem and dat and then I have the accent in the video. Were a mixed bag. My brother moved to LA and sounds like a damn locd out alien to me aha yo I hate it
Coastal NC almost has no Gullah influence left, so it's interesting to hear about older Black folks from that region who have Gullah influences. Even in SC, you won't really find it north of Georgetown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
It's probably because historically, TX never had a large slave population compared to other states but being that it's so large, it's always had a sizable Black population. I also wonder if it's because many of the Black cultural influences developed in Texas remained in-state because it's so big, and the destination cities for Texan Blacks during the Great Migration were far removed from the state with not much in between. Even present-day, there doesn't seem to be many connections between Texas and those Western cities unlike MS/AL and Chicago/Detroit, for example.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:20 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Coastal NC almost has no Gullah influence left, so it's interesting to hear about older Black folks from that region who have Gullah influences. Even in SC, you won't really find it north of Georgetown.

It's probably because historically, TX never had a large slave population compared to other states but being that it's so large, it's always had a sizable Black population. I also wonder if it's because many of the Black cultural influences developed in Texas remained in-state because it's so big, and the destination cities for Texan Blacks during the Great Migration were far removed from the state with not much in between. Even present-day, there doesn't seem to be many connections between Texas and those Western cities unlike MS/AL and Chicago/Detroit, for example.
I believe that quite few Black Texans that migrated went to western cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Las Vegas, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.