Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 08:50 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
You have a right to live wherever you want, north or south, and I wish you luck on your journey, but your example of northern and southerners concern me

I mean, Paula Deen or Fran Drescher? Accent aside, Paula Deen's a racist old bat and Fran Drescher is a rape and cancer survivor, and one of the funniest women there are! Shoulda used Joy Behar and Dolly Parton instead!
I personally don't think she is a racist.I just think she got caught saying something many people say but never get caught.If Justin Beiber can get away with it then I dont see any difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 03:24 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
What? The "Gone With The Wind" city has never been deeply Southern?

Georgia has always been seen as the Deep South IMO...although maybe Atlanta is the exception?
To someone who grew up in bayou country, Atlanta felt very "southern-lite". Unmistakingly southern, of course, just not as southern as it gets.

Georgia towns like Augusta and Savannah are a different story, and these places felt much more like home.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:36 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Atlanta strikes me as more southern than Raleigh/Durham, at least. Some people like to call Raleigh "Mid-Atlantic" if they don't want to call it "southern." Atlanta has no choice, it's undeniably southern being in Georgia. Look at Stone Mountain, or the "Y'all come back now!" at the closing ceremony of the 1996 Olympics which basically reminded the world that Atlanta is in the South. It's just the best example of "New South" as opposed to being "Old South" like Montgomery, Memphis, Jackson, etc. I have a hard time calling Atlanta anything but southern, the "northern city that happens to be in the South" assumption doesn't make a ton of sense IMO.
Very true and it's going to stay just like that. Every hotel I stayed in Atlanta served lemonade and sweet tea as soon as I walked in. The breakfast bars always have biscuits and gravy. Even if the inner core areas are saturated with transplants, you still have several small towns and communities surrounding Atlanta that have retained plenty of Southern charm (that is a good thing). I think the rural/urban divide has grown so much in Atlanta that people are confusing and even conflating urban = Northern/transplant and rural = Southern/uneducated.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:33 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
To someone who grew up in bayou country, Atlanta felt very "southern-lite". Unmistakingly southern, of course, just not as southern as it gets.

Georgia towns like Augusta and Savannah are a different story, and these places felt much more like home.
It's more "southern 2015" than southern-lite. People seem to be looking for Gone with the Wind and are disappointed when they don't find it in Atlanta. What constitutes southern is different today than it was 100 years ago.

Atlanta is different from some other areas of the South (deeper South) but that doesn't make it less southern - just different southern.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It's more "southern 2015" than southern-lite. People seem to be looking for Gone with the Wind and are disappointed when they don't find it in Atlanta. What constitutes southern is different today than it was 100 years ago.

Atlanta is different from some other areas of the South (deeper South) but that doesn't make it less southern - just different southern.
I don't agree completely. Augusta and Savannah are still "southern 2015" but the landscape, historic relics, and the existing culture are still more characteristic of the Deep South, which is what I was focusing on.

I do believe that the Deep South is more southern than the Upper South, but I understand that everyone doesn't feel that way. Fried chicken gets better the further south you go.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:05 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I personally don't think she is a racist.I just think she got caught saying something many people say but never get caught.If Justin Beiber can get away with it then I dont see any difference.
The difference is that Justin Bieber is a young Canadian, and Paula Deen is an old Southerner, and the media would rather run over an old Southerner than a young Canadian.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:10 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
The difference is that Justin Bieber is a young Canadian, and Paula Deen is an old Southerner, and the media would rather run over an old Southerner than a young Canadian.
Sensationalist news.It plays better to showcase racism in the South STILL than anywhere else.People fall right for it.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:10 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
I don't agree completely. Augusta and Savannah are still "southern 2015" but the landscape, historic relics, and the existing culture are still more characteristic of the Deep South, which is what I was focusing on.

I do believe that the Deep South is more southern than the Upper South, but I understand that everyone doesn't feel that way. Fried chicken gets better the further south you go.
No, fried chicken doesn't necessarily get better the further south you go from Atlanta. That is a total fallacy, and you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

One of the more upscale examples of many that shatter your uninformed opinion: http://watershedrestaurant.com/happe...en-wednesdays/

Old 06-07-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, fried chicken doesn't necessarily get better the further south you go from Atlanta. That is a total fallacy, and you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

One of the more upscale examples of many that shatter your uninformed opinion: Fried Chicken Wednesdays | Watershed on Peachtree
Watershed is one of Atlanta's many overrated southern food establishments, right along with Paschal's and that Gladys place. It takes more than that to please me, but if that's your thing then go for it.

Now this will be my one and only reply to this ridiculous debate about my opinion.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:17 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Watershed is one of Atlanta's many overrated southern food establishments, right along with Paschal's and that Gladys place. It takes more than that to please me, but if that's your thing then go for it.

Now this will be my one and only reply to this ridiculous debate about my opinion.
Whatever, and duck out if you wish. When proven wrong, that's the easy way out isn't it? Stomp off and take your toys home.

You are more than obviously wrong, and can't deal with the reality that happens to be the opposite of your personal opinion. Which is totally fine. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Last edited by JMatl; 06-07-2015 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.