Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:42 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,429,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
How important is the public transit to you? Like are you wanting to never have to drive ever? Because Tampa has zero public transit. You would not be able to survive without a car at all.

Outside of cities like NYC, Chicago, Philly, DC, etc...you'll need a car. Cities like Denver, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc. are great places to live without a car as a single person...but still you'll eventually need a car. They are about on the level that your hometown St. Louis is. Good transit options, and you can definitely live without a car, but owning a car will make things 100 percent easier and that's what most people will be doing.

So you need to ask yourself if this is more of a short term thing.
That's a great question. To be honest, I'm cool with driving for the most part, but I hate driving on interstates. It seems like something I'll have to get over, so it's probably a short-term problem.

Let's put it this way - I'd love to live without a car (I studied in Paris for 5 months and their public transit made me not want to drive anymore), but for the right city (young, fun, sun, good jobs, unique attitude) I could give it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 11:43 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
Why do you say that?
1. Lots of young people, and lots of singles (this is the most important factor) Check
2. Great public transportation; I'd prefer to avoid driving Check
3. Moderate weather would be great; I'm a coward when it comes to the cold, and humidity makes me sweat like no other Portland summers are better than Austin, but both have mild winters
4. A good nightlife and bar scene would also be great Check
5. A city with lots of creatives would be helpful. I'm a writer, and I've been working on some short films, so finding people to collaborate with would be ideal Check
6. This is going to be the hard one considering the previous five posts, but I'd love it if the city in question wouldn't break my bank! The cheaper the better. Check
7. Lots of job opportunities; I'm willing to change my career for the right place Check

Portland and Austin meet all of your criteria, with Portland being a slightly better fit than Austin. If you can forego #6, I would add Seattle and San Francisco to your choices. They fit all your criteria but are very expensive. People recommending places like Denver and Minneapolis obviously haven't read your preference for mild winters.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:32 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,429,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
1. Lots of young people, and lots of singles (this is the most important factor) Check
2. Great public transportation; I'd prefer to avoid driving Check
3. Moderate weather would be great; I'm a coward when it comes to the cold, and humidity makes me sweat like no other Portland summers are better than Austin, but both have mild winters
4. A good nightlife and bar scene would also be great Check
5. A city with lots of creatives would be helpful. I'm a writer, and I've been working on some short films, so finding people to collaborate with would be ideal Check
6. This is going to be the hard one considering the previous five posts, but I'd love it if the city in question wouldn't break my bank! The cheaper the better. Check
7. Lots of job opportunities; I'm willing to change my career for the right place Check

Portland and Austin meet all of your criteria, with Portland being a slightly better fit than Austin. If you can forego #6, I would add Seattle and San Francisco to your choices. They fit all your criteria but are very expensive. People recommending places like Denver and Minneapolis obviously haven't read your preference for mild winters.
These cities have always been at the top of my lists.....

It looks like public transportation and weather are the two factors that separate cities

Old 07-29-2015, 01:03 AM

731 posts, read 936,040 times
Richmond VA has a great advertising presence and is very artsy, but you'd sweat in the summer and I'm pretty sure that public transport isn't great. It wouldn't break the bank, though, and DC is only a couple hours away.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:07 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
If you're looking for lots of young single women, I'd honestly avoid pretty much every Western city. It's a sausage fest out here.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:37 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
If OP has as big of a problem with humidity as cold weather then I don't think cities like Atlanta and Dallas count as "mild".

I'm not sure why so many people assume otherwise but Philly/NYC weather is pretty much in the middle of the pack as far as cold and humidity. Some people even consider the Winters in these cities to be *gasp* somewhat mild!
I think Philly and NYC winters are quite mild. They're similar to say, Albuquerque in terms of temperatures.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:57 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
That's a great question. To be honest, I'm cool with driving for the most part, but I hate driving on interstates. It seems like something I'll have to get over, so it's probably a short-term problem.

Let's put it this way - I'd love to live without a car (I studied in Paris for 5 months and their public transit made me not want to drive anymore), but for the right city (young, fun, sun, good jobs, unique attitude) I could give it up.
Then that severely limits your options. Unfortunately, this is America and not Paris. Like I said, think of public transit in most of these places you're looking at to be like how the public transit is in St. Louis. Outside of places like NYC, Philly, etc...sure you can get by without a car, but you'll still need one at some point.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:58 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
I know you said moderate weather but I really love austin and denver and lots of walking . RDU area in north carolina is in the middle of duke,unc and nc state and the best job situation in the country and if you live downtown raleigh or in chapel /carrboro you should be good with public transit or walking . I really love seattle

Old 07-29-2015, 08:40 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I know you said moderate weather but I really love austin and denver and lots of walking . RDU area in north carolina is in the middle of duke,unc and nc state and the best job situation in the country and if you live downtown raleigh or in chapel /carrboro you should be good with public transit or walking . I really love seattle
I'm about to move to the Triangle, and while it definitely has some walkable areas...you wouldn't want to be stuck there without a car. If you live in Downtown Raleigh, how are you going to get elsewhere? Same thing with Chapel Hill. I'll be living in Carrboro, but working over 20 miles away. If you don't have a car, you'll be confined to one area.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:08 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
I only have taken chapel hill/carrboro transit for ball games, lacrosse tournaments and to see concerts and after drinking and visiting friends but I would say carrboro/chapel hill/ orange county public transit is one of the cleanest and safest public bus systems I have ever seen, probably like most affluent college towns, it is nothing like big city public transit. Great biking as well

Biking map for orange county http://bikecarrboro.com/library/pdf/...cyclingMap.pdf

I would check to see, 20 miles is a long way and if the bus system doesnt go to work you may require a car,but you wont be going to raleigh alot if you dont have a car. raleigh is a great town but it is totally a different city from chapel hill from my impressions. I think you will absolutely love that carrboro / chapel hill area if you like college towns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.