Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 11:36 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I'm necessarily disagreeing but republicans haven't been saints. They've alienated a huge amount of people. They patronise young voters, ignore(and some cases, offend) minority voters, call coastal voters unamerican snowflakes and pro abortion folks "murderers". Lets not even get into how ultra offensive many have been to the LGBT community. The republicans are only being saved by the poor whites.
Oh to be sure, Republicans have their faults but I think there have been misconception of how they are viewed and unfortunately the whole party is getting a bad wrap by the small but vocal extreme right wingers. NOT ALL Republicans do what you've described. I've socialized, worked, etc with folks from both the left and the right and the same happens in BOTH parties. There are extremes within both that make the "normal" Democrats and Republicans look bad. It really comes down to the fact that both parties have far more in common with each other than is visible because the most extreme amongst them (a relative minority) have the louder voices.

Trump made a very valid statement that was taken completely out of context at the time but while I'm no fan of his, I agreed with him. After the riots in Charlottesville last year, Trump said there were good people on both sides. Some people took that to mean that he thought far right wackjobs were good people but that is not what he said or meant. There WERE good people on both sides of the issue there BUT, there were also bad people on both sides of this issue present. Both sides need to call out the extremists on their sides and shut them down so those with common sense on both sides can come together to solve problems.

Just because someone does not agree with abortion, gay marriage or illegal immigration doesn't make them "bad" anymore than those who do not subscribe to gun ownership, organized religion or preserving the symbols of our past (civil war monuments) "bad" people. I remember a time where it was perfectly acceptable for folks to agree to disagree but continue to work together on common goals. We are just giving the most extreme on both sides a platform to be outraged about everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 10:11 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Besides gay marriages, African Americans are pretty liberal on pretty much all issues. I'd argue they are more liberal than whites as a whole.
I totally disagree with that. I found Jewish white males and non religious whites to be the most socially liberal. Blacks tend to be socially conservative due to the church influence on their communities.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:44 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I totally disagree with that. I found Jewish white males and non religious whites to be the most socially liberal. Blacks tend to be socially conservative due to the church influence on their communities.
Yeas, the Black community within itself is very conservative, but majority would never support a party that is home to the many people who have tried to oppress blacks for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.