Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 07:49 AM

16 posts, read 52,546 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm moving to Texas or Georgia (haven't decided yet) from San Francisco mid next month. I just graduated and am planning on buying my first car from private sellers after I move. I will find a place to live and have my lease contract signed first, just so to get my new driver license from the local DMV as soon as possible. Once these are done I will do some research and buy my first car from private sellers. The thing is, I need to get on a two-week trip across several states in the east coast from mid September and I want to drive myself.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a new license plate from the local DMV in Georgia or Texas when I go for registration and title transfer? Do I get it right away? If not, will I be issued a temporary license plate so I can drive my car before the permanent one is mailed to me? If this is the way it works, how long is this temporary license plate valid for? Can I travel across state boarders with it?

Thanks for your answer to any of the above questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 07:58 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Plates/Tags & Driver Licences in Georgia are done by two different parts of goverenemt.

Plates/Tags are done by Counties. You go in Give them your paperwork, Pay them, Walk out with Plates/tags.

Drivers license are done by state. If you are over 21? you can transfer your other state licence to GA, you get a Temp Paper licence, your permanent plastic licence is mailed to you about a week later.

Georgia Temp tags are good for 30 days, I believe you can go anywhere in the US, but not sure.

Just a warning when you register your car in GA, we have a "new" title Tax that can be hundreds, to low thousands of dollars.

http://onlinemvd.dor.ga.gov/Tap/welcome.aspx

Old 07-28-2015, 08:10 AM

Thanks flyonpa! Yes I'm over 21 and I do plan to transfer my CA license to GA. Do temp tags function both as temp registration paper and temp license plate? If so, does it mean I can drive my car without the actual plates in front of and at the back of my car for 30 days?

Thanks again.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:17 AM

Georgia does not have front plates, only back.

You put the paper plate (coated cardboard actually), on the back,
you have a separate paper registraion printout. you Keep with you/in car.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:24 AM

Perfectly clear about what the temp tag does. Thanks flyonpa!

But does anyone one how long exactly I can get the permanent one? It's very important I time it well because from the time I register my car at the local DMV (which would probably be in the first week of September) till I get back from my 2-week state-crossing trip, it could be over 40 days. I don't want any trouble caused by driving with an expired temp tag.

Also, does any one know about Texas?

Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 AM

If you want permanent Plates in Georgia,

If all your paperwork is in order, you pay your the title tax / Registration fee, you walk out with permanent plates.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:12 PM

Good to know. Thanks again flyonpa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.