Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:38 PM

12 posts, read 21,894 times

Advertisements

Looking for northern coastal city that is relatively affordable. Must be San Luis Obispo (which seems out of reach financially) or north up to Seattle. Looking for a coastal climate with large enough population to support careers & college kids. Pines, redwoods, but not sooooo humid moss/mold grows on everything. We live in the Temecula area now and looking get out of this desert and into a cooler "northern exposure".

Any hidden towns or suburban gems along the west or northwest coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 08:40 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,092,704 times
Maybe try some of the smaller cities in Western Washington like Aberdeen or Port Angeles. Superficially, both places are pretty run down, but are right next to pristine wilderness and otherwise have everything you should need and are close to Seattle. Both appear to be relatively inexpensive for West Coast towns.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:28 PM

125 posts, read 141,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Maybe try some of the smaller cities in Western Washington like Aberdeen or Port Angeles. Superficially, both places are pretty run down, but are right next to pristine wilderness and otherwise have everything you should need and are close to Seattle. Both appear to be relatively inexpensive for West Coast towns.
There is a reason Aberdeen is cheap - it has a very depressed economy, a lot of poverty, a pretty high crime rate for a small town, and is run down. Port Angeles is also blue collar, but overall seems to be in better shape than Aberdeen.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:25 PM

50 posts, read 92,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mida68 View Post
Looking for northern coastal city that is relatively affordable. Must be San Luis Obispo (which seems out of reach financially) or north up to Seattle. Looking for a coastal climate with large enough population to support careers & college kids. Pines, redwoods, but not sooooo humid moss/mold grows on everything. We live in the Temecula area now and looking get out of this desert and into a cooler "northern exposure".

Any hidden towns or suburban gems along the west or northwest coast?
Do you want a town or a city? There are some reasonably priced coastal towns along the west coast, but the reasonably-priced ones are usually cheaper because they're really far from any real city (i.e. JOBS). If you need jobs (and don't fancy running a motel in an isolated town), then you're probably going to have to restrict your search to an area that has them, which puts you right back in Expensive-ville.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:46 AM

661 posts, read 691,529 times
Sacramento and Portland are both within 100 miles of the coast and are really the last two large West Coast metros that are remotely affordable. If you want small town feel, avoid. But their schools and jobs situation will be better than those small burgs.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:36 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Hurry up with Portland, real estate is beginning to go through the roof!
And, it's not coastal, it's 90 minutes inland from the coast.

I second what's been said about Aberdeen. The place is a true hole.
A very gloomy place. Mold and moss grows on everything.
But, you could live there cheap if you could stand to live there.
Most of coastal Washington isn't much to get excited about.
(BTW, Seattle IS NOT "on the coast".)

A lot of the Oregon Coast is very small town and touristy.
No where near supporting careers and college kids.

In Oregon, you might check out the Coos Bay area, but, Coos Bay could be called the Aberdeen of Oregon.

Or maybe Astoria.
Astoria is almost two hours from Portland, and is a fairly big small town, again not exactly on the coast, but close enough.
Astoria weather is beautiful during the summer and wet as hell during the winter.
Mold and moss grows on everything.

The rest of the coast north is kind of the same.
Mold and moss grows on everything.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Eureka and Arcata CA area. Eureka has about 27,000 people. Arcata has a CA university. Not super populated, and fairly affordable. Ocean and redwoods. Not too hot, not too cold. Rainy winters, but not constantly damp like places I lived in WA.

The farther north you get, the damper and the icier/snowier winters - as far as towns big enough to support your family. Brookings, OR is sunnier than Eureka and here in Crescent City, but it's a small town.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:46 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Maybe try some of the smaller cities in Western Washington like Aberdeen or Port Angeles. Superficially, both places are pretty run down, but are right next to pristine wilderness and otherwise have everything you should need Yeszand are close to Seattle. Both appear to be relatively inexpensive for West Coast towns.
Yes, these are areas that are still affordable, but there is not much going on there. Plus, you are in the direct path of the great subduction quake, which may or may not happen the next 50 years. Just underatand that this area is under the gun, and then ply on top, dismal, grey, weather 9 months of the year. There was a reason Kurt Coabain was depressed, though I can't relate it directly to Aberdeen/Hoquiam.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:49 AM

731 posts, read 936,040 times
Just say NO to Aberdeen. Ugh. I think I would commit suicide if I lived there.

I know you're looking for cooler, but how cool? Be aware that most of the Oregon and Washington Coasts rarely get above 70 degrees and are often ensconced in damp fog. There's a reason that vampires live in Forks! It's damp and dark and sees very little sun.

This year excluded, I can barely deal with the lack of sun in Seattle. The coast would do me in for sure. I won't even camp there in the summer because it's too cold and damp for me.

I will also reiterate that affordable usually means few jobs, but try these... Olympia WA, Bremerton WA, Eugene OR, Eureka CA, Tacoma WA.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:49 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
For affordable coastal areas where one can find suitable employment in most circumstances cities like Olympia WA, Everett WA and Bellingham WA should fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.