Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

What about Texas? You could do Texas, Louisiana (though it's definitely got some French influence, it's such a hodge podge that I think you'd find it fascinating), and the Ozarks in Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 08:31 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
I think the general gist is that no matter which specific region you end up choosing, mid America and points west of it is where you should be looking. In my experience, the northeast is very Europhile, and this has a profound influence on the culture there (parts of southeast's upper middle class are similar, but more Tory and less Parisian intellectual in thrust).

As you go west, people become more self confident in their Americanness, and this is something that is equally true in places that are dominated by the cultural left, the cultural right or somewhere in between.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:52 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
Any non-coastal city will be very American and non-European, except for ones like Chicago or Minneapolis.

Kansas City pulls both western and eastern influence. St. Louis is more influenced by the East, but still very uniquely Midwestern.

Denver is also an interesting one. West meets Midwest, with a very strong progressive slant. Like a little cousin of San Francisco that floated eastward. There are a lot of Hispanics there, but overall the influence does not feel very Hispanic. It's all about skiing and snowboarding out there.

Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Nashville, and Omaha are also all-American cities that come to mind...but you'd be bored out of your mind doing nothing there.

NOT Seattle, despite many posters mentioning that. Seattle has a very Europhilic (Scandinavian, specifically) influence. Like house music and hairy women kind of Europhile.

San Francisco Bay Area is a league of it's own, and I recommend you visit regardless. Just an interesting city that no other city in the world can emulate.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:59 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
[quote=Pyroninja42;40689193]It just is.

Honestly, a lot of "flyover states" are actually quite pleasant in a quiet sort of way.

Also, have you visited Appalachia yet? West Virginia, the Smokies or Blue Ridge Mountains?[/QUOTE}

I don't know whether the poster is looking for something that is unlike modern day England, but there are people in the North Carolina mountains that speak pure Shakespearean English. So if the idea is to get away from England that would not be the way. My daughter married a man from England and Western North Carolina was so isolated for years that we found the traditions of both families in this marriage were almost the same. The only difference is that we drive on the opposite side of the road and the bride and groom stand in opposite places.

I have never been there but my idea of what the poster is looking for would be in Idaho or Montana, or maybe Nebraska.

Most Northerners would cringe about this but we traveled to Smuggler's Notch in Vermont and I was so disappointed that we had traveled about 1000 miles and nothing was very different than where I was raised in the North Carolina mountains. The only thing we had problems doing was finding any good food. We are not into seafood since we were both raised in the mountains. We found the prices of their food a little outrageous. We never eat at McDonald's but we got so hungry we ate there. Our condo had a full sized kitchen which I seldom use but I did on this trip. I usually take soup and than bring it back home. I didn't have any left to take back home. We were so glad we had it.

If the poster wants to look for places that are mostly white, the city-data profiles of cities give that information.

Last edited by NCN; 08-04-2015 at 09:16 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 09:38 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post

NOT Seattle, despite many posters mentioning that. Seattle has a very Europhilic (Scandinavian, specifically) influence. Like house music and hairy women kind of Europhile.
You realize that is not really what Europe is like, right? In my experience, most of western Europe is much more conventional than the parts of the US that are freak friendly, places like the central cities of Seattle, Portland, Austin or Minneapolis as uniquely American as Oklahoma or Kansas, just different from them. The bulk of western Europe is more like Boston - communitarian but somewhat buttoned down.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 08-04-2015 at 10:35 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 09:51 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Nashville, and Omaha are also all-American cities that come to mind...but you'd be bored out of your mind doing nothing there.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:24 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
Any non-coastal city will be very American and non-European, except for ones like Chicago or Minneapolis.

Kansas City pulls both western and eastern influence. St. Louis is more influenced by the East, but still very uniquely Midwestern.

Denver is also an interesting one. West meets Midwest, with a very strong progressive slant. Like a little cousin of San Francisco that floated eastward. There are a lot of Hispanics there, but overall the influence does not feel very Hispanic. It's all about skiing and snowboarding out there.

San Francisco Bay Area is a league of it's own, and I recommend you visit regardless. Just an interesting city that no other city in the world can emulate.
This is wrong on a lot of levels

Especially the seattle and scandinavian hairy women europhile??? nashville is a hell of alot more fun than most cities I have ever visited , basically still wondering about the hairy women scandinavian seattle europhile part the most

Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I'd choose New Orleans and a couple of other spots in Louisiana, a number of places in Texas, and the deserts.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:37 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
If you don't want hot and humid, don't travel to the lower midwest/upper south in the summertime!

I vote for a trip Oklahoma, because there is a strong Native American presence, stronger than the other states you mentioned, and that would be interesting for you. I loved living in Oklahoma. It is an interesting combination of southern/midwestern/western. If you choose OK I'll DM you some interesting places to visit that will give you a really diverse American experience!

I lived in Kansas too. Loved Lawrence, hated Wichita. Kansas has less diversity in culture/topography than Oklahoma, and would be a less interesting trip IMHO. Missouri is pretty in places and has a southern/midwestern culture, but there's also a severe statewide problem with meth addiction and crime. Meth is a problem in OK too, of course.

Let us know what you decide!

Old 08-05-2015, 07:02 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'd choose New Orleans and a couple of other spots in Louisiana, a number of places in Texas, and the deserts.
New Orleans is one of the most European cities in the nation. There is a great deal of African influence, but it's largely found in neighborhoods most tourists aren't willing to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.