Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:14 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times

Advertisements

Chattanooga has the advantage of being relatively close to Lake Lanier. When was the last time you visited? There is a lot going on downtown. Also you have the option of practicing in one of the N GA towns so you can get your degree in GA. Where is the dental school, GA Tech?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 11:14 AM

81 posts, read 85,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Chattanooga has the advantage of being relatively close to Lake Lanier. When was the last time you visited? There is a lot going on downtown. Also you have the option of practicing in one of the N GA towns so you can get your degree in GA. Where is the dental school, GA Tech?
Augusta GA is the only one here. The only one that would take me in TN is the one in Memphis . I went last year (Chattanooga) but for a very quick meeting at a local restaurant, The Public House (which I got to say was AWESOME food) and we drove around after the meeting. The one thing that concerned me was the amount of gang graffti there was which kind of worried me abit. My fiancee is tiny (not to say she couldn't defend herself) so I want to make sure where we live is safe. I am not quite sure if this was downtown downtown, however (do not know my way around Chattanooga). Given its very close proximity, we are planning to spend a week in Chattanooga in late September. The proximity to the River and Lakes (WATER !!! ) would make us happy and not really bother us to be farther away from the Beach. Like I said, if I have to deal with the humidity I'll deal with it, doesn't look like I will be getting away from it at all in the Southeast . Even Raonoke VA is only a few % less in humidity to ATL, which surprised me! It really is only the summer that bothers me, Spring, Fall, and Winter humidity is nothing . I got to say I was pretty impressed with the way Chattanooga listened to their residents with that survey, and it looks as if they are really working on the crime there, which is great. According to this website, the average humidity in Chattanooga is a few %'s lower than ATL: http://www.shorstmeyer.com/wxfaqs/humidity/rh.html

Old 08-13-2015, 01:27 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaqueKnight View Post
I was talking to quite a few people from Asheville and the main concern I have now is the economy and lack of jobs for the fiancee. I have been to Chattanooga TN once and need to go check it out in its entirity soon to get a better feel for it. I pretty much accepted the fact that since I am in the Southeast it will be extremely hard if not impossible to escape humidity and temperatures similar to Atlanta unless I want to move to a small town in Western North Carolina which I don't think it's going to happen. Maybe I'll also check out Johnson City Tennessee
Unfortunately your concern is definitely valid, otherwise I am sure you will love it. Either way, definitely go for a visit It's not that far from you. Go for a weekend tip.

When will you be checking out these places?

Old 08-13-2015, 02:31 PM

Thinknig late September for Chattanooga. Right now we are trying to figure out which places to avoid in Chattanooga... Suggestions?

Old 08-14-2015, 06:36 PM

Chattanooga definitely fits the bill better, either that or Roanoke VA. Any preferences between the two? I know Roanoke would be much closer to skiing... How far is Chattanooga from a decent place to ski (driving wise)? Thank you to everyone for all the great feedback!!!! We haven't quite ruled out Asheville yet but I think Chattanooga would be good for us . It doesn't look like Birmingham is as close to mountains as we would like, and I love that Chattanooga has such great access to both Mtns and Water! I am looking forward to taking a trip up there and seeing the city in its entirity.

It looks like Ridgeside is a very safe part of Chattanooga. Can anyone weigh in on this?

Old 08-15-2015, 09:30 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
The most convenient skiing I know of to Chattanooga is Ober Gatlinburg and then Cataloochee in NC.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:42 AM

Thank you to everyone who gave me such great feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.