Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 05:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Florida and I never had the ocean far behind. Florida is one of those states where the sea plays a very big role in life there. Whether it is the beach, sailing or fishing. Most of its major cities are on the coast and even then, nowhere in the state is too far from either the east coast or the gulf coast.

Now I live in Texas, and I have yet to visit the gulf coast side of the state, but even then, I find Texas to be surprisingly really independent from its coast. Texas has the six longest coastline, but besides Houston, which I don't think is even on the ocean, most of its major cities are pretty far from the sea. Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, El Paso. I mean you got your Corpus Christi and South Padre but most of Texas' cities are way inland and the gulf coast doesn't influence the culture here that much. Texas doesn't particularly feel "beachy." I know it is huge and extends as far as the plains to the north and the deserts to the west, but with its very long coast, you'd think it'd have more large cities on it. Even Mississippi with its tiny coast has a stronger ocean related influence than Texas. I'm not sure why.

Besides Texas, what states touch the ocean, but by the geography and culture, you wouldn't even know it HAD a coast for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 06:25 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Pennsylvania comes to mind first...beaches and seafood factor very little into their culture there, unlike Maryland, New Jersey or New England.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:35 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Pennsylvania comes to mind first...beaches and seafood factor very little into their culture there, unlike Maryland, New Jersey or New England.
That would be because Pennsylvania does not have an ocean coastline....

Old 08-22-2015, 06:40 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
That would be because Pennsylvania does not have an ocean coastline....
I was just leaving....

Old 08-22-2015, 06:58 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
I think of Louisiana as an oddity because it's coastal marshland has such a huge impact on its way of life, food, and personal safety due to being below sea level and the threat from another disaster like Hurricane Katrina.

Yet, with all that marshland, it lacks a beach in the traditional sense that people think of when they go to the beach, with a wide sandy shore lined with cottages or condos that people go to spend a vacation, like in Florida.

That may not be exactly what you were asking, but I think it makes Louisiana unique.

The other place I can think of is Connecticut. It seems to have more of its identify associated with its urban areas or bedroom communities in NY. It lacks the Jersey Shore, Long Island, or Nantucket of its neighbors.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:11 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,283,359 times
Definitely Illinois. Because it only has its northeast corner probably less then 100 miles.

But because of Chicago ... it TRUELY HAS A COASTLINE. Anyone who has visited Chicago. Especially Downtown. Knows a defining feature is its Lakefront of Parks, Harbors and Beaches for public use. Even right Downtown. Chicago fully embraced its LAKEFRONT and prevented industry or private owners. From taking it over.

A nice not long Youtube Video of the North of Downtown Chicago COASTLINE ... and Some pictures to prove it. Though it does not define the state. It surely defines Chicago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wWxHPOlERI

If you click on the above sight. You do full screen HD. Since it is a more distant shot to see it in a little box. You see Downtown and Gold Coast. Once the Jet landing at O'Hare turns inland. You can get a glimpse of Wrigley Field for a few seconds.

Downtown COASTLINE ........

North Shore COASTLINE looking toward Downtown.....

Old 08-22-2015, 08:12 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,926,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I grew up in Florida and I never had the ocean far behind. Florida is one of those states where the sea plays a very big role in life there. Whether it is the beach, sailing or fishing. Most of its major cities are on the coast and even then, nowhere in the state is too far from either the east coast or the gulf coast.

Now I live in Texas, and I have yet to visit the gulf coast side of the state, but even then, I find Texas to be surprisingly really independent from its coast. Texas has the six longest coastline, but besides Houston, which I don't think is even on the ocean, most of its major cities are pretty far from the sea. Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, El Paso. I mean you got your Corpus Christi and South Padre but most of Texas' cities are way inland and the gulf coast doesn't influence the culture here that much. Texas doesn't particularly feel "beachy." I know it is huge and extends as far as the plains to the north and the deserts to the west, but with its very long coast, you'd think it'd have more large cities on it. Even Mississippi with its tiny coast has a stronger ocean related influence than Texas. I'm not sure why.

Besides Texas, what states touch the ocean, but by the geography and culture, you wouldn't even know it HAD a coast for the most part.
By virtue of the Houston area, there is indeed a significant coastal component of the Texas culture, that cannot be missed even if one tries. Even though most of Texas's major cities are quite inland, Houston, the state's largest and, arguably, most important city, is right on the Gulf Coast, and thus has the lifestyle reflective of such strong oceanic influence. Being such a large city, Houston, by default, exerts a good deal of influence on the state, an oceanic one at that, given the coastal undertones of the city. On top of that, the whole Padre Island sector of the coast, from Corpus Christi south to the border, while not having large cities like other parts of the state, is a well known Spring Break destination. There certainly is a larger share of coastal influence in Texas than is in Mississippi, or Alabama, that's for sure.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 08-22-2015 at 09:13 PM..

Old 08-22-2015, 09:22 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Funny you should say that. I was just thinking that a lot of people in PA, particularly Eastern and Southern, visit the beaches in New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland at least once in a while.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:48 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,567,713 times
New Hampshire, nicknamed the Granite State for its White Mountains. It has the shortest coastline of any state at 18 miles.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:50 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,547,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Definitely Illinois. Because it only has its northeast corner probably less then 100 miles.

But because of Chicago ... it TRUELY HAS A COASTLINE. Anyone who has visited Chicago. Especially Downtown. Knows a defining feature is its Lakefront of Parks, Harbors and Beaches for public use. Even right Downtown. Chicago fully embraced its LAKEFRONT and prevented industry or private owners. From taking it over.

A nice not long Youtube Video of the North of Downtown Chicago COASTLINE ... and Some pictures to prove it. Though it does not define the state. It surely defines Chicago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wWxHPOlERI

If you click on the above sight. You do full screen HD. Since it is a more distant shot to see it in a little box. You see Downtown and Gold Coast. Once the Jet landing at O'Hare turns inland. You can get a glimpse of Wrigley Field for a few seconds.

Downtown COASTLINE ........

North Shore COASTLINE looking toward Downtown.....
*Why* must you plug Chicago into EVERYTHING? WITH THE SAME VIDEO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.