Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:28 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
For me, it's solidly FL.

It seems to me that FL's left seems to be more of an old school Democratic rather than the far liberal progressive you see in MN/WA. FL is likely to turn bluer as more immigrants come in.

South FL's weather is far more approachable than MN, and a toss-up with WA depending on taste. I prefer sunshine, warm weather, green leaves year round, and water sports, so FL is more to my liking. FL summers are going to be much easier to cope with than an MN winter.

FL has longer daylight during the winter, and the sun just looks more summery in the winter.
I think an extreme winter is much more tolerable than an extreme summer, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 01:59 PM

230 posts, read 343,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I have always found Florida to be a progressive place, especially among young people. Florida has the starkest voting differences between the old and young of any state.
Where did you live? Young people voting dem doesn't mean progressive. South FL is about making money and living life to the fullest. Gay rights, tolerance, supporting alternative lifestyles, activism, etc. are not anywhere near as important compared to other states that people consider progressive.

Last edited by Juice Malone; 12-03-2015 at 03:28 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I think florida north carolina and virginia will go back to the solid south this year if the last few gubernatorial and congressional elections are any indicator, there was just a huge anti bush backlash in 2008 and a awful and dull republican candidate in 2012 but Obama still received less than 39% of the white vote in every southern state, including the two he won in 2012, Virginia and Florida. Trump isnt polling anywhere near where mccain and romney did but he could always implode

Poll: Trump Could Win Primary, Beat Clinton In Florida « CBS Miami

“Despite conjecture that Donald Trump has plateaued, his support in Florida remains very strong and could be growing,” Kevin Wagner, an associate professor of political science at Florida Atlantic, said in a prepared statement accompanying the results.

The poll numbers are also encouraging for Trump in a potential general-election contest. He leads Clinton, the likely Democratic nominee for president, by a margin of 49 percent to 40.5 percent "
The republicans should win in FL. Id be shocked if they didn't. Trump has a house in west palm and is well liked in south FL too.

Last edited by Juice Malone; 12-03-2015 at 02:54 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 04:17 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone View Post
Where did you live? Young people voting dem doesn't mean progressive. South FL is about making money and living life to the fullest. Gay rights, tolerance, supporting alternative lifestyles, activism, etc. are not anywhere near as important compared to other states that people consider progressive.
As a gay man who has lived in Florida most of my life, I can say with certainty that for the under 40 crowd Florida is among the most socially liberal in the nation. Easily on par with the northeast or west coast, especially for gay rights. I don't know any pro life people either for the record. the only reason we are a swing state even is because of older republican retirees moving here and the panhandle, and that could change in the future because the boomer retirees are much more liberal than their parents.

I have lived in Tampa and Orlando most of my adulthood but grew up in Naples.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:40 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
Seattle is not a "party" town, and I doubt the college students here would be much into getting chased.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:24 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
The republicans should win in FL. Id be shocked if they didn't. Trump has a house in west palm and is well liked in south FL too.
Yet Florida voted for Obama TWICE! The state is drifting very BLUE with the demographics changing.
Trump also insulted many hispanics with his racist xenophobic comments.
The racial make up of Florida is :

Hispanic : 23.6 %
Black : 16.7 %

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida#Population

That is 40.3 % of Florida's population. There are also 1 Million more registered Democrats in the state than Republicans.

Trump owns a house in Palm Beach not West Palm Beach and that makes him popular?
He owns more property in NYC yet he would never get elected there!

Old 12-03-2015, 07:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
I like South Florida the best but I hate their weather, I hate humid weather, I can barely stand Nashville's summers. I would still go with South Florida its closer to my family in TN and GA thou

Old 12-04-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
As a gay man who has lived in Florida most of my life, I can say with certainty that for the under 40 crowd Florida is among the most socially liberal in the nation. Easily on par with the northeast or west coast, especially for gay rights. I don't know any pro life people either for the record. the only reason we are a swing state even is because of older republican retirees moving here and the panhandle, and that could change in the future because the boomer retirees are much more liberal than their parents.

I have lived in Tampa and Orlando most of my adulthood but grew up in Naples.
Never heard Naples referred to as South FL. We are talking about Dade, broward, Palm beach etc. Most ppl call Naples and ft myers SW FL

Old 12-04-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Yet Florida voted for Obama TWICE! The state is drifting very BLUE with the demographics changing.
Trump also insulted many hispanics with his racist xenophobic comments.
The racial make up of Florida is :

Hispanic : 23.6 %
Black : 16.7 %

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida#Population

That is 40.3 % of Florida's population. There are also 1 Million more registered Democrats in the state than Republicans.

Trump owns a house in Palm Beach not West Palm Beach and that makes him popular?
He owns more property in NYC yet he would never get elected there!
I still think they will win this go around, but we will see. I think Jeb bush stands a better chance in FL than trump though. Will be interesting.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:41 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
Quote:
Never heard Naples referred to as South FL. We are talking about Dade, broward, Palm beach etc. Most ppl call Naples and ft myers SW FL
Well if we wanted to be that specific shouldn't the region you are talking about be called Southeast Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.