Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 04:47 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times

Advertisements

I'm in Indy and the city is a pro football city. No colleges of note in the city. It really doesn't impact Monday's at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 04:50 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
...it's just like any other day?

Old 09-27-2015, 05:24 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
It only impacts Mondays if you tend to like the alcoholic beverages in mass quantities, or stay up late partying after a win, or drowning your sorrows after a loss. Translated: Alcohol. However, I'm not judgmental on this, just an observer.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:26 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Are we comparing SEC cities such as Oxford, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Auburn, and Athens, to Austin? They maybe Texas fans but they are probably not Texas alumni.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:21 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
It only impacts Mondays if you tend to like the alcoholic beverages in mass quantities, or stay up late partying after a win, or drowning your sorrows after a loss. Translated: Alcohol. However, I'm not judgmental on this, just an observer.
Well I mean that's kind of what I'm asking, is it that people just drink less for NFL games? I mean I find that hard to believe considering that people tailgate and you can buy beer in the games. But even really aside from that, its an all day affair for college, drinking or not. Is it just not that way for NFL games?

I don't know, it just seems odd to me and I was curious to get some insight.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:57 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Century Link in Seattle, home of the Seahawks shut out of the Bears today, does allow hard liquor sales, but only within designated areas. Beer and wine can be brought to, or purchased from your seat. I am not positive, but I believe most NFL stadiums have a similar policy. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:11 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Green Bay is pretty hardcore. They pack the house for a scrimmage. I've been to a few family nights and you'd think it was a regular season game. I've only been to one regular season game and that was a great time. I haven't had a chance to head out to Ann Arbor for a Michigan game, but I expect that to be pretty crazy, especially now that they are on the right track.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:17 AM

309 posts, read 307,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Growing up in Baton Rouge, the best home game experience in the country, down the road from New Orleans, I feel I have a good grasp on this.

People aren't waking up at 6am to go get a spot to tailgate for NFL games, but for college it' a norm; especially in SEC towns. And it seems like more people sit at home and watch NFL games rather than make a family event/tradition out of it.

LOL Speak for NO... Here in KC, we have a MASSIVE tailgate culture with the Chiefs and it's quite common (almost necessary) to see folks rolling the smokers and and stocking the coolers en route to Arrowhead by 7 AM on a (noon) game day.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:25 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Growing up in Baton Rouge, the best home game experience in the country, down the road from New Orleans, I feel I have a good grasp on this.

It's just different days, Sunday nights you can't stay out or up as late, on Saturdays you can. That's pretty much it from what I see. Plus the culture is vastly different surrounding the games and tailgating. I've never tailgated for a NFL game but I have for LSU and it's crazy.

People aren't waking up at 6am to go get a spot to tailgate for NFL games, but for college it' a norm; especially in SEC towns. And it seems like more people sit at home and watch NFL games rather than make a family event/tradition out of it.
Most of this just isn't true, especially the underlined. I've tailgated at 6AM for Packers games many, many times. SEC country thinks it's the center of the football universe or something. There's football elsewhere, too. And football springs from northern cities, not the south - this is one reason why there are fewer NFL teams in that market, and even the few NFL teams that are in the region are expansion teams or teams without long histories. Football is insane here. And there.

In Wisconsin, we can drink any night and head into work the next day no probs (see: tonight's Packer Monday night game). On weekends, it's the Badgers on Saturday (party!), then the Packers on Sunday (another party!!). Both are huge, and both are accompanied by adult beverages.

We don't shy from parties, basically.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:26 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
LOL Speak for NO... Here in KC, we have a MASSIVE tailgate culture with the Chiefs and it's quite common (almost necessary) to see folks rolling the smokers and and stocking the coolers en route to Arrowhead by 7 AM on a (noon) game day.
Yup, Arrowhead is another big party with a great tailgating tradition.

Good luck tonight, but not too much luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.