Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:23 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,092,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't really get this Seattle comparison, either. Minneapolis is 16th of the 52 most religious cities, Seattle 49th. Most And Least Religious Cities In America (PHOTOS) That makes a big difference in a city's culture. Just one big difference. And yes, Minneapolis is midwestern.
That's a really weird thing to point out. I have never once heard someone refer to the Twin Cities as noticeably "religious"; I've lived here my entire life and have never felt like it was a notable part of the culture. Most people who are religious here don't talk about it openly and keep it to themselves. We're right at the top of the list of most progressive and liberal cities in the country.

If anything, the only real cultural impact comes from the huge Somali immigrant community, who are devoutly Muslim — so much so that they mostly segregate themselves from the rest of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 11:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
That's a really weird thing to point out. I have never once heard someone refer to the Twin Cities as noticeably "religious"; I've lived here my entire life and have never felt like it was a notable part of the culture. Most people who are religious here don't talk about it openly and keep it to themselves. We're right at the top of the list of most progressive and liberal cities in the country.

If anything, the only real cultural impact comes from the huge Somali immigrant community, who are devoutly Muslim — so much so that they mostly segregate themselves from the rest of society.
Well, if you've never lived anywhere else, you probably think what goes on in Minneapolis is the norm. Yes, I know you guys think you're at the top of everything.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:39 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
I would say neither. It's not a big city that's just consumed with being a big city, the other two kind of are.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:32 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,092,704 times
Quote:
Well, if you've never lived anywhere else, you probably think what goes on in Minneapolis is the norm. Yes, I know you guys think you're at the top of everything.
So are you saying that I'm "blind" to religiosity in the Twin Cities? It's just not really a notable feature of the culture here. I mean, the most famous cathedral in the Twin Cities (Cathedral of St. Paul), which is arguably the most beloved "holy" place in the entire metro, lets the blasphemous Red Bull Crashed Ice erect a gigantic downhill ice course on its front steps every winter. The local parishioners and Archdiocese don't even blink an eye.

If you're going to use Huffington Post to argue that the Twin Cities is "16th Most Religious" in the country, then I guess that seems to have zero baring on the fact that we're basically the Midwestern equivalent of San Francisco, at least socially. According to multiple sources, Minneapolis is generally regarded as the 6th most liberal city in the country:

Chart of the Week: The most liberal and conservative big cities | Pew Research Center

Most Liberal: No. 6 - In Photos: The Most And Least Conservative Cities In America - Forbes

Is San Francisco really America's most liberal city? - SFGate

Furthermore, you'll notice the enormous amount of church congregations which enthusiastically welcome LGBTQ members:

https://outfront.org/resources/worship

Old 10-24-2015, 12:33 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
Quote:
I don't really get this Seattle comparison, either. Minneapolis is 16th of the 52 most religious cities, Seattle 49th. Most And Least Religious Cities In America (PHOTOS) That makes a big difference in a city's culture. Just one big difference. And yes, Minneapolis is midwestern.
I'm not really sure what the relevance of this would even be. Speaking as an agnostic, I've never found religious attitudes to permeate the culture of Minneapolis the way they do in many cities which are dominated by the religious right. To the extent that people here are religious, they tend to be connected more with relatively tolerant liberal protestant ideologies than with anything else.

Having lived in both cities, I find that In terms of political and social progressiveness, Minneapolis is actually very close to Seattle.

As to the OP, Minneapolis shares its location in The Midwest with Chicago, but Chicago obviously exists on a different tier than Minneapolis. So it's hard to argue strongly for Chicago. On the other hand, Seattle and Minneapolis are in the same tier of cities, but are in different geographic regions.

If forced to choose between the two options, I think Seattle is the better choice, but I would prefer to cop out on the question and say neither.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:57 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,831 times
Fair question I think but I'm not sure. Chicago is an alpha world city with only about 3-4 national rivals, or cohorts, and does not feel or move like MSP given its sheer size, and Seattle I have no idea? I have heard from my buddy who lived in Chicago at the time that MSP reminded him a lot of Seattle when he went to visit in 2009. Of course this was his personal take on it and he had no dog in the fight. So if I had to choose I would probably say Seattle given that both areas are similar in population, education attainment, salary (at least in my profession), politics, number of cultural amenities (vs that of Chicago), quality of life, etc…by most objective measures they are in the same category time and time again.

Of note, I think MSP is fine being MSP and doesn’t go around seeking external validation. People here aren’t walking around sulking about being compared with other cities because they realize what a great place it is already. For the most part the comparisons are usually on these forums when someone is either A) trolling, or B) genuinely interested in either place, probably because they match up so close on paper.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:50 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
I think the reason Seattle and the Twin Cities are compared frequently boils down to three major elements. #1, they are both northern cities with a Scandinavian influence, #2, they both are of similar metro size. And #3 they tend to be the #2 or #3 metros in their regions. Minneapolis is behind Chicago for certain, and Seattle competes with L.A. and the Bay Area. I don't see anything wrong with this comparison at the end of the day.

By the way, Minneapolis was once known as the Northwest. Seattle now is, but only due to westward movement over the past 150+ years, just a second in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.