Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2015, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,739 times

Advertisements

So here is my story. My family moved around a lot when I was growing up and eventually for high school, they would settle down in the south. I decided to stay in state for college and I am naturally an outgoing guy who is not afraid to be social or talk to strangers. No matter what I did or what happened, I never really had a chance to form lasting friendships with people here. Most people stuck with their fraternity brothers/sorority sisters or they just stuck with their social cliques. A lot of people also knew their friends before coming to college and they rarely branched out from there.

I have had an extremely difficult time making friends here and I've had nights where I go to bars and other places alone because I don't have any friends to go to those places with. Most people here also get married at a younger age than other areas.

I've always wanted a social life and a chance to belong to a social circle of people around my age (going to be 23 soon but am open to making friends with most people in their 20s). Just a chance to have friends I can hit the bars with, socialize with, hang out with, participate in sports with, and just something along those lines. Unfortunately, I am finding that in my area, a lot of people stick to their high school and maybe college friends and never really branch out after that.

What areas or places in the USA can offer me these kinds of social opportunities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 04:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Chicago, IL, the north side near the lake has a lot of neighborhood bars and is very friendly. Sacramento, CA midtown area is also.

But Meetup.com is also a way to find people you have things in common with, and those groups are all over.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:07 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Larger cities with a higher concentration of transplants are generally easier to build a social circle.

Smaller cities or cities with more close-knit social scenes are more difficult.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:38 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Cities with lots of transplants are typically more socially dynamic whereas it tends to be the opposite for those cities that don't get as many transplants.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:03 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,708 times
A lot of the southwest and sunbelt areas are transient in nature, so it is easier to make friends. A lot of northern and eastern states, people grew up there and they already have their social circle formed and don't care to add to it. Consider Arizona, Texas or Colorado. All have great job markets and friendly people as well as plenty of meetup type groups.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:06 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Orange County, California is very welcoming to transplants. There are still a lot of good job opportunities here is you have a good skill set, resume, portfolio and willingness to work hard.

Social scene is also good... Find an activity that you like and join a local club

Old 11-06-2015, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,739 times
nice lets keep this list going!

Old 11-06-2015, 07:03 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
A lot of the southwest and sunbelt areas are transient in nature, so it is easier to make friends. A lot of northern and eastern states, people grew up there and they already have their social circle formed and don't care to add to it. Consider Arizona, Texas or Colorado. All have great job markets and friendly people as well as plenty of meetup type groups.
I think that is the case with smaller northern and eastern areas, but the major areas and college towns will be more transient.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:03 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
I would say major college towns where the college itself is a major source of industry/commerce with varying outlets for work such as a teaching hospital, science and research along with national caliber graduate programs which attracts people from all over to live and work there. Places like Ann Arbor MI, Durham NC, Chapel Hill NC, Charlottesville VA or Iowa City IA are prime examples of places where one would feel welcome and able to "fit in" for most any case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.