Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 01:17 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
You're exaggerating. The reason I say this is because RVA anchors Central VA and I'm sure that you're more familiar with RVA. I'm from ATL and lived in RVA man....you'd definitely fit-in in BMore over anywhere in GA.

Couldn't have summed it up better. I love the Mid-Atlantic region, it fits me well.

Exactly, great post. It always drove me crazy when people on these boards try to knock VA's designation as a majority Mid-Atlantic state (Hampton Roads, RVA, Charlottesville, and of course Northern Virginia has that mixed regional feel going on).

If anything, NC, TN, and KY has that dull upper South thing going on. (that Northeast portion of NC is just an extension of VA...OBX)
How is the upper south "dull"? That's my favourite part of the south! Beautiful mountains, bluegrass music, horse country, whiskey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 11:31 AM

199 posts, read 141,297 times
I think of the northeast as stopping at Maryland and Delaware. If you want to split states up then sure the DC metro area of Virginia and eastern West Virginia can be considered part of the northeast as well.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:25 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jate88 View Post
I think of the northeast as stopping at Maryland and Delaware. If you want to split states up then sure the DC metro area of Virginia and eastern West Virginia can be considered part of the northeast as well.
No part of VA is Northern, absolutely not.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:01 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No part of Maryland is either.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:09 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
Hi!

I was just wondering. The Mid-Atlantic states are considered a "subregion of the Northeast- as in "Northeast and Mid-Atlantic" But they are not considered a sub region of the Southeast states.

But I find this is a problem- especially for Virginia which is the Southern end of the Mid Atlantic. And our culture is undeniably Southern.

I live in Central Virginia and we have more in common with people in GA and TN than we do people from Boston or NYC, or even Baltimore!

People from the Northeast have accents and drink unsweet tea.

Shouldn't there be a new sub region of the U.S or "Upper South"- for those that live South of D.C. but not in the Deep South?

Even far as to say- the Mid Atlantic states are not really like the Northeast. I have been to the Northeast and its like a different world to me. Also, if Virginia is considered Mid-Atlantic, then why is Kentucky not considered "Midwest'- when it is directly across from Virginia?

What do y'all think?
Here is a FLAT map of the US: https://mapsmith.net/work/bootstrap-usa/

Most of the maps of the US you see have curvature, because it's the shape of the globe: http://www.shutterstock.com/image-ve...rica-239038003

Look at the flat map only. In my opinion, I'd have to say NJ is a borderline between the Mid-Atlantic and the Northeast. I think Virginia is the Mid-Atlantic. We are all fooled, because we rarely ever see flat maps of the US. Google Maps is a flat map and not a globe unless you turn on 3D mode.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:44 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
NoVA quite literally is the most Northern like place in the US outside of the widely considered NE (Maryland and up).

Although it also is similar to the Bay Area and LA suburbs in some ways too.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:57 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Here is a FLAT map of the US: https://mapsmith.net/work/bootstrap-usa/

Most of the maps of the US you see have curvature, because it's the shape of the globe: http://www.shutterstock.com/image-ve...rica-239038003

Look at the flat map only. In my opinion, I'd have to say NJ is a borderline between the Mid-Atlantic and the Northeast. I think Virginia is the Mid-Atlantic. We are all fooled, because we rarely ever see flat maps of the US. Google Maps is a flat map and not a globe unless you turn on 3D mode.
Parts of South Jersey looks downright southern. Pine trees, dirt roads, more relaxed.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:06 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Parts of South Jersey looks downright southern. Pine trees, dirt roads, more relaxed.
Actually I mean geographically. But you're right, that is why South Jersey is called the "Alabama of New Jersey".

Old 09-11-2018, 08:09 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
No part of Maryland is either.
*Flails*

Old 09-11-2018, 08:10 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Actually I mean geographically. But you're right, that is why South Jersey is called the "Alabama of New Jersey".
Yeah, all those millionaire mansions on the coast are reeeeeal Dixieland.

I have never heard that term applied to south Jersey. How... weird for weird's sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.