Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 09:44 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I have never heard that term applied to south Jersey. How... weird for weird's sake.
It's not so much in reference to the Jersey Shore, as it Cumberland and Salem counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 10:35 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's not so much in reference to the Jersey Shore, as it Cumberland and Salem counties.
It's still dumb.

Things do not turn into Alabama simply because they aren't stereotypes of their home state's reputation.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:59 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
It's still dumb.

Things do not turn into Alabama simply because they aren't stereotypes of their home state's reputation.

The Pine barrens do have their own unique feel, not sure if southern but probably very rural in feel

the most southern parts of NJ are as far south as DC

the coast is different in that its mostly a summer place for folks from Philly and NYC burbs, expensive real estate

Old 09-12-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The Pine barrens do have their own unique feel, not sure if southern but probably very rural in feel

the most southern parts of NJ are as far south as DC

the coast is different in that its mostly a summer place for folks from Philly and NYC burbs, expensive real estate
I am aware of all of those things.

See, DC isn't southern either though. No part of New Jersey is southern. To argue otherwise is ignorance for ignorance sake.

I get tired of people shrinking the north because of this weird epidemic of northern shame. The Adirondacks are extremely rural, are they part of the south now too?

Old 09-12-2018, 11:46 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:

See, DC isn't southern either though. No part of New Jersey is southern. To argue otherwise is ignorance for ignorance sake.

I get tired of people shrinking the north because of this weird epidemic of northern shame. The Adirondacks are extremely rural, are they part of the south now too?
Maryland and Virginia are southern, but DC isn't? Is it an exclave?

Old 09-12-2018, 12:11 PM

5,826 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jate88 View Post
I think of the northeast as stopping at Maryland and Delaware. If you want to split states up then sure the DC metro area of Virginia and eastern West Virginia can be considered part of the northeast as well.
You can't split up Virginia. The entire state is a southern state...

The entire state isn't Mid-Atlantic, though. That distinction only applies to NoVa x Central VA x Tidewater VA. Though I will say, there is fluidity within all three regions. Tidewater by far has the most widespread southern character of the three, but it is also pretty obviously contrasted from points south...

Being Mid-Atlantic isn't a southern or northern thing, its having a shared culture in the north-south transitional areas along the Eastern seaboard. That may have not been what it meant 100 years ago, but that's closer to the real world applicability of the Mid-Atlantic designation today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
NoVA quite literally is the most Northern like place in the US outside of the widely considered NE (Maryland and up).

Although it also is similar to the Bay Area and LA suburbs in some ways too.
Only in the most general, broad sense is NoVa similar to Bay or LA suburbs. Extremely different, starting with landscape/geography, weather, and architecture, and you can then go 100 ways from there. Extremely different areas, besides being dense suburbia of major cities...

Old 09-12-2018, 07:23 PM

622 posts, read 949,449 times
I'll say the Mid-Atlantic are PA, NJ, DE, MD and DC. VA and points south are solidly southern.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:30 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:

If it's any region that people "shrink," it's the South. See your comment in that same post about DC.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:23 PM

5,826 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If it's any region that people "shrink," it's the South. See your comment in that same post about DC.
You caught the irony, I meant to post on that as well. Southern shame is more like it...

Old 09-12-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Bull.

How often do you see people from Tennessee trying to claim they are northern? Never. How often do you see people from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and even MICHIGAN trying to claim they are southern? Too dang often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.