Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:34 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I'm thinking eastern KS is dominated by Kansas City.
I dunno. Kansas City, KS would probably be a definite no, but Kansas City, MO would be a yes. KC, KS may have a lot of people but the Kansas side of the city is just a suburb more or less, so no metro.

Personally I would say that Lawrence dominates Eastern Kansas, even though Topeka is close by and has 3x (?) the population, Lawrence is where everything happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 03:46 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Illinois and Chicago comes to mind, although there are several million people in the state that don't live in the Chicago area. Any others?
I'd say that Indianapolis is probably the largest city in Indiana. And Phoenix for Arizona. Wisconsin...I'm pretty sure Milwaukee is the largest city there, but I've not been to Madison.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:04 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Georgia - Atlanta (Savannah is relatively smaller)

Delaware - Wilmington

New York - New York City

Illinois - Chicago

Massachusetts - Boston

Maine - Portland

Indiana - Indianapolis

Iowa - Des Moines

Louisiana - New Orleans

Idaho - Boise

Utah - Salt Lake City

Minnesota - Minneapolis/St. Paul

Hawaii - Honolulu

Alaska - Anchorage

Nebraska - Omaha (Lincoln is small)

South Carolina - Charleston

Wisconsin - Milwaukee

Arkansas - Little Rock

Maryland - Baltimore (Washington DC isn't part of Maryland and that region is its own thing that is separate from the rest of the state)

Oregon - Portland

Washington - Seattle-Tacoma

Old 02-04-2008, 04:07 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
There are no true major cities in New York State which is just a big rust bucket like the rest of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Ohio.

But even within New York State, Rochester is not alone...if any one city has to be chosen to dominate upstate New York, that would probably be Buffalo.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:09 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Georgia, without question. Outside of Atlanta, there's Columbus, Savannah, and Macon, none of which are even 1/10th Atlanta's size. What's more, Columbus and Savannah sit on the borders of the state. So when you get outside Atlanta, it seems like one big empty for hours and hours and hours.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:47 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I dunno. Kansas City, KS would probably be a definite no, but Kansas City, MO would be a yes. KC, KS may have a lot of people but the Kansas side of the city is just a suburb more or less, so no metro.

Personally I would say that Lawrence dominates Eastern Kansas, even though Topeka is close by and has 3x (?) the population, Lawrence is where everything happens.
The Kansas City metro area has roughly 2 million people. 1.1 million on the Missouri side, and 950k(?) on the Kansas side. Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri are adjacent to each other. There is only the state line that divides the two cities. They aren't exactly "twin cities", as KCMO is certainly the dominant, and by far the largest, town here.
There are many suburbs on both sides of the state line. Lawrence is considered one of suburbs, depending on which metro study you look at.
A 30 minute or less drive separates Lawrence and Olathe, a major "outer" suburb.

Lawrence is a very lively college town, but I would hesitate to say that it "dominates" the eastern part of Kansas. Other than KU sporting events and other college-related activities, most probably go to KC for shopping, dining, major-league sports, and cultural places/events.

Topeka biggest influence in Kansas it that it's the state capital. Other than that, people don't seem to go there for much.
I believe Wichita is the biggest metro completely within the state of Kansas, but with a MSA of 630k, it doesn't even have as many people as the Kansas portion of the Kansas City MSA. It certainly doesn't have a hold on the entire state of Kansas.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Iowa (Des Moines)

Indiana (Indianapolis) , excluding Fort Wayne and Evansville

West Virginia (Charleston)

Arkansas (Little Rock)

New Mexico (Arizona)

Kansas (Wichita)
If you have to exclude Ft. Wayne and Evansville to say Indiana is dominated by Indianapolis, then it's not dominated by Indy. Actually, NW Indiana is oriented towards Chicago.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:08 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post

Maryland - Baltimore (Washington DC isn't part of Maryland and that region is its own thing that is separate from the rest of the state)

what? it says Metro Areas in the title, the Baltimore metro and the washington metro are sometimes combined. but how can you exclude DC with MD???? it makes no sense what so ever. and Western and the eastern shore(the southern part of it) dont go with the Bmore/wash metro or the Baltimore or Washington Metro. so i highly disagree with Maryland

Old 02-04-2008, 07:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houguy1087 View Post
True, but then you would have to ask the OP to relate to convey the idea of domination. I interpreted the post sheerly as domination based on comparison (not any NY population's personal relation; though I have my opinions on that too), there is really no other city in NY that is anywhere near on the same level NYC, as unfair a comparison as it may be, that one city dominates. Though that is your opinion and I honestly understand where you are coming from. (I also have to excuse myself, Texas really might have really skewed my idea of what's large and what's small.)
Your point is well-taken, and I agree that may be the case for non Northeasterners. However, in the NE, and especially in NY state, NYC is not the totally dominating area it seems to people from say, Denver. Even in Albany, we didn't give the place a great deal of thought.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:47 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houguy1087 View Post
True, but then you would have to ask the OP to relate to convey the idea of domination. I interpreted the post sheerly as domination based on comparison (not any NY population's personal relation; though I have my opinions on that too), there is really no other city in NY that is anywhere near on the same level NYC, as unfair a comparison as it may be, that one city dominates. Though that is your opinion and I honestly understand where you are coming from. (I also have to excuse myself, Texas really might have really skewed my idea of what's large and what's small.)
My personal idea of "domination" was a city/metro area that is large enough population wise that the other parts of the state almost get ignored. I don't think it's simply one city in the state being much larger than the rest. For example, Des Moines would be a city that I would not consider dominating a state, for the metro area (2000) had about 450,000 people out of a state population of over 2.9 million.

As for New York, I'm not really familiar with how much influence New York City has on the entire state. I'd think it would be substantial, but Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, etc. are important cities in their own right. So I guess it depends on how much their voices are heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.