Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,497 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've lived in New Jersey my whole life (Philadelphia area) and I think I'm looking for a change. I'm single, an engineer by profession, and I am an outdoorsy person. I don't want to live in a city, but I do enjoy the benefits of a city and I like to travel, so being somewhat close to a decent sized city is important. My favorite things to do when I'm off are snowboarding, mountain biking, hiking, etc. I also enjoy water sports being close to the Jersey beaches (sailing, kayaking, wake boarding, etc), but not a requirement to be next to an ocean, although it would be a plus to be near water.

Things that are important:

Job prospects are pretty good (i.e. I can get get an engineering or related job within about 6 months of moving)
Reasonably affordable (I can live comfortably on a 75 - 100k salary)
Within an hour or so drive of a city and international airport
Within an hour or 2 drive of some mountains (preferably be able to actually see them from my yard)
Area with an outdoorsy lifestyle (I feel like this is lacking where I currently live)
4 season climate is important
Being near water is a big plus

I've just started looking into this, but some areas that may meet my initial requirements:

Denver Area
Seattle Area
Portland Area
Reno Area

If anyone's lived in these areas can you give a general overview or a pros/cons list especially of the things that might not be obvious until you've actually lived there that would be very helpful. Also, if anyone's moved to any of these places from the Philadelphia area and could give a comparison that would also be helpful.

If there's anywhere that might be even better that I haven't mentioned you can give some recommendations as well.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 03:41 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Denver. It's perfectly affordable for a SINK in your price range. Ticks off everything on your list with the exception of water. Then again, the water near Seattle, Portland, and Reno is cold and not really suited for swimming, either.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:57 PM

373 posts, read 367,818 times
Charlottesville, Virginia. Pittsburgh, PA. Nashville, TN. I would say look at North Carolina.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:02 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Seattle Washington metro. Bellevue suburbs.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:26 PM

346 posts, read 463,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgem View Post
Charlottesville, Virginia. Pittsburgh, PA. Nashville, TN. I would say look at North Carolina.
I'm just curious what made you suggest these cities over the ones the OP has listed.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:14 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt _farmer View Post
I'm just curious what made you suggest these cities over the ones the OP has listed.
The East Coast has significantly warmer water. Even San Diego and Los Angeles only reach ocean temperatures as high as 60 degrees during the summer time. I would expect Portland and Seattle to be much colder than this during the summertime. Unless the OP is good with cold water (and most people are not), then I think the East side of the country will be much better for the avid water fanatic.

Not only that but the West is incredibly expensive in its good areas whereas the South, even northern South (like the Carolinas) seem to do much better in terms of COL overall. Seattle is probably the best option out of OP's list because Seattle has a better economy than Portland, and more water than Colorado since Denver is a borderline high desert similar to Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, and parts of Arizona and New Mexico are. Reno is close to Lake Tahoe, which is one of my favorite places, but Reno itself is... meh.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:54 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
denver. It's perfectly affordable for a sink in your price range. Ticks off everything on your list with the exception of water. Then again, the water near seattle, portland, and reno is cold and not really suited for swimming, either.
SINK? What's that?

Old 12-24-2015, 12:14 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
SINK? What's that?
Single income no kids.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:31 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrz90 View Post
Things that are important:
Job prospects are pretty good (i.e. I can get get an engineering or related job within about 6 months of moving)
Reasonably affordable (I can live comfortably on a 75 - 100k salary)
Within an hour or so drive of a city and international airport
Within an hour or 2 drive of some mountains (preferably be able to actually see them from my yard)
Area with an outdoorsy lifestyle (I feel like this is lacking where I currently live)
4 season climate is important
Being near water is a big plus
Check out the the northeast suburbs of Atlanta which believe it or not would probably be your best option in terms of work/lifestyle criteria in my opinion. Atlanta's northside is the hub of white collar/professional jobs in Metro Atlanta and a booming area, particularly around Sandy Springs/Alpharetta/Johns Creek/Roswell. It's quite affordable on the salary you would expect to have, less than an hour from one of the top airports in the country, close proximity to the Chattahoochee River for kayaking and it's mountain biking/hiking trails, around an hour to massive Lake Lanier (a venue site for the water sports events at the Atlanta Olympics) and an easy 90 minute drive to the Blue Ridge Mountains in NE Georgia. The Roswell area is very thickly wooded and hilly which appeals to outdoor enthusiasts and the area overall has a four season climate with a typically mild winter with little snow/ice in the immediate area. You can go skiing and snowboarding at Sapphire Valley (3400 feet elevation) near Highlands NC which is around 2.5 hours away.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:47 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
The East Coast has significantly warmer water. Even San Diego and Los Angeles only reach ocean temperatures as high as 60 degrees during the summer time. I would expect Portland and Seattle to be much colder than this during the summertime. Unless the OP is good with cold water (and most people are not), then I think the East side of the country will be much better for the avid water fanatic.

Not only that but the West is incredibly expensive in its good areas whereas the South, even northern South (like the Carolinas) seem to do much better in terms of COL overall. Seattle is probably the best option out of OP's list because Seattle has a better economy than Portland, and more water than Colorado since Denver is a borderline high desert similar to Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, and parts of Arizona and New Mexico are. Reno is close to Lake Tahoe, which is one of my favorite places, but Reno itself is... meh.
Areas of Idaho are high desert, but Idaho has more forested lands than all of the other inland western states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.