Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:43 AM

32,107 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Here it is:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/cens...cio_10_nyc.pdf

The Italian educational attainment isn't surprising really, but Irish have 50%+ college graduates in NYC. Despite their "working class" image they really look far more like those of English and German ancestry than Italians.
The English are over 70%. Germans are over 60%. The Irish seem to fall in the middle between Germans and Italians. Interestingly, Polish in NYC have higher rates of educational attainment than the Irish despite being more recent arrivals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 08:23 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,722,245 times
Yeah, fair enough. While there are some working class Irish the group as a whole is not.

Polish ancestry likely includes a lot of Jews.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah, fair enough. While there are some working class Irish the group as a whole is not.
If "working class" is not having a college degree, then about 47-48% of that group would fall into that category.

Quote:
According to this source, 80% of the people identifying as "Polish" in the NYC metro area are Roman Catholic.

http://www.bcnychurchplanting.org/up...%20Profile.pdf

This is also interesting.

Quote:
The great majority of Polish Americans is and always has been Roman Catholic at least by baptism. Although pre-World War II Poland was a multi-ethnic and multiconfessional country, the process of immigration galvanized and re-created ethnic identities in the New World context. For example, Polish Jews, who also emigrated in large numbers during the same time period as their Catholic neighbors, largely identified as Jewish American or Russian Jewish in America. Their historical trajectory in the United States is quite different.
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/cht/sum...dzilowski.html

Old 01-09-2016, 09:36 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:

I believe Ireland today is either top or near the top in College attainment among developed countries, Italy has far more of pronounced Northern vs Southern dynamic including college attainment rates

It seemed about 20 years ago there were a lot more Irish immigrants but as the economy got better that waned. There really has not been a significant influx of Italians in quite some time and the mass migration was larger southern impoverished Italians, even today the North/South divide in Italy I significant and likely far more pronounced than any North/South divide in the US

My Italian roots are mostly Northern actually which is more rare as part of the mass migration from last century

Overall the pronounced Italian enclaves will continue to shrink; I do think places like NYC, Boston, and Philly will retain some of the identity but it will likely be mostly gone in 50 years

I never understood the difference between Boston and Philly in this regard Both are nearly identical in makeup of the Irish an Italian segment yet it seems Boston is perceived more Irish while Philly I perceived more Italian when in fact they are nearly mirrors of the composition.

Does Montreal have any significant Italian enclaves while I have been to Canada and most major cities I really don't know the cities as well as I should being interested in all this. I do love Montreal and Quebec and even Toronto but didn't fall I love with Toronto the same way I did Montreal. I do also enjoy Vancouver yet I feels so different from eastern Canadian cities, never been to Calgary

Old 01-09-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If "working class" is not having a college degree, then about 47-48% of that group would fall into that category.

According to this source, 80% of the people identifying as "Polish" in the NYC metro area are Roman Catholic.

http://www.bcnychurchplanting.org/up...%20Profile.pdf

Yes it seems more Polish are Catholics, would suspect in Philly too. Sadly a lot of Polish Jews were unable to make it out in WWII

It seems many more Russian Jews these days in NYC and even Philly (esp the burbs here)

Also a lot of more traditional Isreali Jews - I believe that the US has by far the largest Isreali Jewish population outside of Isreal. Even their Prime Minister went to HS and spent most of his youth in suburban Philadelphia - an odd fact Reggie Jackson and the Isreali Prime Minister played baseball together in Cheltenhem PA

On the west coast there are markedly more Persian Jews, especially LA

Old 01-09-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I never understood the difference between Boston and Philly in this regard Both are nearly identical in makeup of the Irish an Italian segment yet it seems Boston is perceived more Irish while Philly I perceived more Italian when in fact they are nearly mirrors of the composition.
The Irish were able to establish political hegemony in Boston early on. Other than Menino, you'd have to go back more than a century to find a non-Irish Catholic mayor. Philly didn't have its first Irish Catholic mayor until after WWII.

Even today, 6 out of the 13 sitting members on the Boston City Council are Irish Catholic.

Boston also doesn't have anything like a South Philly. The North End doesn't really count imo since it's so geographically small. I think Philly is also considered a more "Italian" city because of the famous mob wars and the number of notable Italian-Americans who came out of South Philly (Frankie Avalon, Fabian, Bobby Rydell, etc.). The city's most notable food staples--cheesesteaks, hoagies and water ice--were also South Philly and/or Italian inventions.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:06 AM

Yeah even Rocky to an extent

Philly could learn from more similarity to Boston's city council City Council I a long detriment to progress in this city but a topic for a different thread

Old 01-09-2016, 10:13 AM

Yeah, Rocky as well.

You don't really hear much about Boston's mafia. There are several documentaries and movies that involve Whitey Bulger or his likeness but little in the way of anything dealing with the city's Italian mob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBViH8YXFgk

George Anastasia has a great job. Reporting on the mob seems a lot more fun than reporting on budget stalemates in Congress. Then you also have book deals, get retained as a movie/TV show consultant, etc.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:21 AM

Only in Philadelphia does a former mob associate get a cooking show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGZwI0Ad024

Old 01-09-2016, 10:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Only in Philadelphia does a former mob associate get a cooking show.
Surely, that's possible in New York City? Or maybe in Rhode Island, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.