Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:53 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Belle Meade would like to have a word with you.
But they can't compare to the country (or former country) stars. Taylor Swift ring a bell? Could any of the old money "touch" that? I don't think so.

Even Dolly Parton would be considered "new money". Here family didn't come from $$$. "She has described her family as being 'dirt poor'." Nashville was always the place that poor southern country artists could "make it".

Old 01-08-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Being a native Southerner who lives in Savannah, I guess I'm unqualified to comment on this subject?
I was just curious what northerners impressions of southern old money is. I pretty much know what southerners impressions are. Believe me, in Louisiana there's a lot of old money and in Louisiana a lot of people resent the old money because they like to keep the status quo instead of allowing the economy to develop.

On the one hand, it's preserved the cultural institutions in the state (lunch at Galatoires anyone?), but on the other hand Texas has lured all the new money. Had the old money not been so regressive in New Orleans, New Orleans could be the size of Houston.

Charleston is much the same.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:01 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,162,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

On the one hand, it's preserved the cultural institutions in the state (lunch at Galatoires anyone?), but on the other hand Texas has lured all the new money. Had the old money not been so regressive in New Orleans, New Orleans could be the size of Houston.

Charleston is much the same.

Wow this ^^^ is an issue that has hurt Mobile and stagnated our growth, I always though that it was an issue unique to just Mobile. I guess it has plagued other old south coastal cities.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I've lived in the South most of my life (was born in New Orleans, lived ten years in Georgia, three in NC, three in VA, one in Alabama and now twenty years in northeast Texas). These "old money" families have honestly never had any significant influence in my life. I could be wrong but I feel that their influence is waning - not that they realize it but honestly, who cares what they do? I don't care what they do and they don't care what I do. It's a win win!

And I don't want every southern city (or every northern city for that matter) to simply "develop" unchecked. I like the retention of local flavor and traditions and if the "upper crust" is partially responsible for that, then good for them.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Being a native Southerner who lives in Savannah, I guess I'm unqualified to comment on this subject?
I opened a thread up for you and other southerners to comment!

Old 01-08-2016, 07:48 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Old Southern money locks itself away in their exclusive country clubs and sends the kids to blue blood private schools. You never see or interact with them if you aren't in their circle.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:49 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
I was just wondering what yankees impressions of old moneyed southern upper crusters was?
You mean the people whose families owned plantations?

Old 01-08-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You mean the people whose families owned plantations?
In the rural areas yes. In cities like New Orleans or Charleston they ran the port and trade.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Don't think people most have much impression of them, most here don't know that much about the south except those that have family that moved to Florida or the Carolinas. I'd imagine their culture as rather genteel and formal, with more emphasis on somewhat rigid and traditional manners. I'd also think of plantation-owning families, which due to the history of race and slavery, doesn't have a good image to me. I went to college with a guy who was probably "old money" southern —*from western North Carolina. Didn't realize until I read his family history from their business website. He didn't even have a much of a southern accent.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
I mean anyone north of either the Mason Dixon line for starters and east of the Mississippi.
Ah. Just saying "northern" would have been less confusing, though no one else seemed confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.