Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:16 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times

Advertisements

Something I have noticed. In Sociology class I did a paper about Southern pride, and how different socio economic groups view their idea about what being Southern means to them. Now this is a study done in my area of Virginia- so it may not be universally true across the South

What I found was blue collar Southerners, are much more outspoken about how proud they are of their Southern heritage. They see it as a badge of honor. Many of them carry a rebel flag decal on their car, something like "I ain' comin' down". Now, I see this not only as "Southern" pride- but more relative to a James Dean anti-establishment type thing

Middle Class Southerners seem to do the same thing, only not quite as in your face.

Upper Class/Upper Middle Class Southrons while they are proud to be Southern, seem the least likely to display any outside recognition of such. They would never have a Confederate Flag on their car or a bumper sticker saying "Yankee go home". But they may put a flag on a grave of one of their ancestors . It also seems, maybe being more travelled, they have a more World View of things, and being Southern gets put on the backburner.

However, this is not to say that the Upper Class Southerners are any less Southern. Some are even more so. But the way they display their pride is much more subtle and understated, than those of the blue collar persuasion

What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 02:22 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
What do y'all think?
I think you need some new hobbies.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:41 PM

970 posts, read 2,949,839 times
Quote:
What do y'all think?
I think you're too stupid to realize that people will reply to your thread with all kinds of disparaging comments AGAINST Richmond & the South, as you've given them some bait.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
I'm thinking that these Richmond threads are approaching the idocy of the NY vs Chicago crap.

Give it a rest.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:51 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Something I have noticed. In Sociology class I did a paper about Southern pride, and how different socio economic groups view their idea about what being Southern means to them. Now this is a study done in my area of Virginia- so it may not be universally true across the South

What I found was blue collar Southerners, are much more outspoken about how proud they are of their Southern heritage. They see it as a badge of honor. Many of them carry a rebel flag decal on their car, something like "I ain' comin' down". Now, I see this not only as "Southern" pride- but more relative to a James Dean anti-establishment type thing

Middle Class Southerners seem to do the same thing, only not quite as in your face.

Upper Class/Upper Middle Class Southrons while they are proud to be Southern, seem the least likely to display any outside recognition of such. They would never have a Confederate Flag on their car or a bumper sticker saying "Yankee go home". But they may put a flag on a grave of one of their ancestors . It also seems, maybe being more travelled, they have a more World View of things, and being Southern gets put on the backburner.

However, this is not to say that the Upper Class Southerners are any less Southern. Some are even more so. But the way they display their pride is much more subtle and understated, than those of the blue collar persuasion

What do y'all think?
I would say that that is a pretty valid assessment.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:56 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
I agree completely. The old-money part of Memphis looks very Southern (the houses, the tress) but the people don't seem very Southern at all. They have very slight Southern accents, but that's it. I never see confederate flags in that part of Memphis as opposed to my hometown where there are confederate flags everywhere. Also, the old money Southerners (the ones here at least) aren't the in your face Evangelical types either. I mean, they are religious, but most of them are Presbyterian, Episcopal, Methodist, Catholics & Jews. As opposed to my hometown where everyone is Southern Baptist. And many aren't hardcore conservative. Many might say they're conservative, but it's usually fiscally conservative & socially moderate, even liberal in some places.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:03 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Ehhh, I don't know if I necessarily agree with the accents thing. The same is said about metro NYC: The thicker the accent, the more working class someone is. It probably goes for southern accents too. I have a friend whose parents are very wealthy owning a business in the Hamptons, and they've got thicker accents than I do. So yeah, probably the same with southern accents.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:21 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Ehhh, I don't know if I necessarily agree with the accents thing. The same is said about metro NYC: The thicker the accent, the more working class someone is. It probably goes for southern accents too. I have a friend whose parents are very wealthy owning a business in the Hamptons, and they've got thicker accents than I do. So yeah, probably the same with southern accents.
I agree; that is IMO even true in the UK, where the higher your caste is, the less pronounced your accent. Prince Charles has a very understated accent, for example.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:51 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:

What do y'all think?
Yeah, I agree with that for the most part, with the caveat that "class" is not always determined by income.. there are tons of 'rich rednecks' out there, and plenty of 'old south' type folks in the middle class. Much of what you're describing has to do with manners. I think saying "Yankee go home" or flying the Confederate flag is bad manners. I think part of the upper/middle class southern culture is to not draw attention to yourself, so they express their pride in more subtle ways.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:06 PM

631 posts, read 1,885,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Yeah, I agree with that for the most part, with the caveat that "class" is not always determined by income.. there are tons of 'rich rednecks' out there, and plenty of 'old south' type folks in the middle class. Much of what you're describing has to do with manners. I think saying "Yankee go home" or flying the Confederate flag is bad manners. I think part of the upper/middle class southern culture is to not draw attention to yourself, so they express their pride in more subtle ways.
Yes, that is so very true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.