Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I would look into crab fishing before you actually do it. It is almost mafia like with some fishermen.
Trust me! We have! LOLOLOL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 06:44 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS01 View Post
stay out of alabama, we dont need no northerners round here. No offence to you and your family but we got a certain way of livin down here and we dont want know changes from outsiders. thanks and good luck
being from South Carolina, I understand his point. for me personally it isn't that we wouldn't be kind and show you the Southern hospitality you might expect, it's just I'm worried that because of all the yankee immmigration that the culture will not be preserved. a bit less people describe themselves as Southerners because of the influx of people from up North. if too many of y'all come down here the accent, culture, etc. will go. you will also find it different here. you probably wouldn't have a problem wearing some with a rebel flag(just a sign of Southern pride to a lot of people) on it at a school but up there I'd guess it'd be a big deal. oh well I hope your move goes well. good luck.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ive got news for the OP: move to a warmer climate and youll have milder winters, but hellish summers. Either way youre gonna be stuck indoors on many occasions due to weather extremes, just reverse the seasons! And unless youre moving to south Florida, dont expect to ride a motorcycle in winter either. Most southern places average from 30-70 for daytime highs, many have frigid nights depending on elevation. Nights just as cold as a winter night in Cleveland, if not colder. Riding a bike when its 50 degrees outside isnt that much fun, not even when its 60 really either. And youre not gonna wanna ride the bike in summer too much either, youll bake yourself to death with a helmet and leathers. Picture the hottest day in Cleveland, ok? Now, thats what the south feels like almost all summer, combined with more intense humidity and sun. You wanna ride or run in that?!?! And the southwest, although bone-dry, is even more intensely hot. Ever experience 4-5 months of 100 degrees plus? Do yourself a favor and visit these areas in late June, and see if youre really ready for "better weather". Better in the winter maybe, but summer, when the kids are off of school? Its HELLishly hot, trust me. Add in wildlife that can be dangerous for young'uns (ie black widows, venomous snakes, scorpions), etc. Its a different world out there, many that people rush into before experiencing it firsthand. Dont always think the grass is greener on the other side, alot of times its not. Im just trying to save you from the mistake I made (and tons of others too), I had the same mindset you did. The biggest mistake I ever made was leaving the north, I hope its not yours too.
It's not the heat, babe, it's the humidity! It's what separates the Yankees (ones who come South and like it) from the Da*n Yankees (ones who come South and whine about how much better it was up north but won't leave). LOL!

Old 01-09-2008, 05:57 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ive got news for the OP: move to a warmer climate and youll have milder winters, but hellish summers. Either way youre gonna be stuck indoors on many occasions due to weather extremes, just reverse the seasons! And unless youre moving to south Florida, dont expect to ride a motorcycle in winter either. Most southern places average from 30-70 for daytime highs, many have frigid nights depending on elevation. Nights just as cold as a winter night in Cleveland, if not colder. Riding a bike when its 50 degrees outside isnt that much fun, not even when its 60 really either. And youre not gonna wanna ride the bike in summer too much either, youll bake yourself to death with a helmet and leathers. Picture the hottest day in Cleveland, ok? Now, thats what the south feels like almost all summer, combined with more intense humidity and sun. You wanna ride or run in that?!?! And the southwest, although bone-dry, is even more intensely hot. Ever experience 4-5 months of 100 degrees plus? Do yourself a favor and visit these areas in late June, and see if youre really ready for "better weather". Better in the winter maybe, but summer, when the kids are off of school? Its HELLishly hot, trust me. Add in wildlife that can be dangerous for young'uns (ie black widows, venomous snakes, scorpions), etc. Its a different world out there, many that people rush into before experiencing it firsthand. Dont always think the grass is greener on the other side, alot of times its not. Im just trying to save you from the mistake I made (and tons of others too), I had the same mindset you did. The biggest mistake I ever made was leaving the north, I hope its not yours too.

You sound like a softy:>) 50F is nice riding weather. Ever went to work on your bike with skirt and heels in the saddle bag because your truck got stuck in a snow bank in Georgia, USA? Fun!
The most venomous snakes come on two legs and they are all over:>)
Did you go back North?

Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
If you read this post with a recording of 'dueling banjos' playing in the background, it works better.
Wasn't that WV?

Old 01-09-2008, 06:20 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
No matter what place you decide to consider, there will be members here who love it and those who hate it. It's hard to weed out fact from opinion.

Have you considered North Carolina? The economy is booming, the Raleigh area is one of the most popular places to move to right now. Schools are good and there are a number of good universities in the area, too. The weather IMO is nice - you will still have the 4 seasons, but you will not have such bitter cold. Housing is affordable. I would think your line of work is needed anywhere. For motorcycle rides, you could take a trip to the Blue Ridge Skyline Parkway, which is gorgeous.

My husband and I have been working on figuring out where to relocate to, for the past 2 years. We also considered Georgia but counted it out because their schools are so poor. The Raleigh area was our #1 contender for a long time, we ended up liking someplace else better but I would still feel comfortable recommending Raleigh.

Best of luck.
I agree with this and hope that Gino reads this post and comes down to the NC Forums to ask his specific questions. He has a number of choices set by geographical area and a thread for Rural and Small Town Living folks.

I understand that this is an older post but since it is active perhaps the OP is still looking down south.

We're friendly down here so come on and ask away.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 AM
col

131 posts, read 674,730 times
Exclamation winters????

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Here in North Carolina, the Charlotte area would be a great choice. Lots of recreational assets/things to do, awesome 4-season climate with lots of sun, tons of jobs, very family-friendly, racing capital (since you like cars), affordable place to live, great airport, 2 hrs. from mountains/3.5 hrs. from coast/a little over 1 hr. from Blue Ridge Pkwy., home to the U.S. National Whitewater Center, and clean, green, with two huge lakes. It'd be worth a weekend visit to see what you think. PM me if you want any specifics. Good luck in your search!!!

what are the winters like mild? or dry and cold I hate dry and cold. Please advise and thanks

Old 01-09-2008, 09:23 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You sound like a softy:>) 50F is nice riding weather. Ever went to work on your bike with skirt and heels in the saddle bag because your truck got stuck in a snow bank in Georgia, USA? Fun!
The most venomous snakes come on two legs and they are all over:>)
Did you go back North?
50 degree riding is NOT fun, even when bundled up. All it takes is an hour on the bike and youre chilled to the bone. I dont even ride street bikes, I ride dirt bikes, which is alot more rigorous than just sitting still while cruising on a highway, and I still get cold in that weather.

As for the skirt and heels comment, Im not sure if that was intended to be funny or what, but Im not laughing? And youre right, you dont have to worry about being stuck in a snow bank in GA, you just get stuck in the mud that used to be a lake instead. DOH!

Yes, I went back north from Tennessee, are you happy now with one less Yankee in your midsts?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:04 AM

266 posts, read 911,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS01 View Post
stay out of alabama, we dont need no northerners round here. No offence to you and your family but we got a certain way of livin down here and we dont want know changes from outsiders. thanks and good luck
And thanks for reinforcing the stereotype that Southerners are dumb and/or have bad schools. Why is it that people have such rotten spelling nowadays? Hey, dude, it's "offense," "no" not "know," "living," and "any Northerners." And can we try a capital letter at the start of a sentence? Why is it that so many people on City-Data make posts with such horrible spelling and grammar? Don't people proof their posts? Or can they simply not spell? Sorry to sound like a snob, but it's the English major in me coming out. I know I'm guilty of typos too, but a lot of the stuff I read on here is ridiculous. The schools in our country must really being going downhill if this is what we're turning out.

Please excuse my rant and for getting off topic. Okay, I'm done.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:09 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Wasn't that WV?
I have no clue. My point was that JS01's post was the stereotypical "Deliverance" south that scares the bejeezus out of us northern sorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.