Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 12:42 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times

Advertisements

I have lived in several cities that were a variety of sizes. They are all different, and if you never live in a big city, then you absolutely miss out on some things. Whether those things are important to you and whether they are worth the cost is a question everyone has to decide for themselves.

In a big city, especially a world-class city, there are just more options. Whatever kind of food you want, from high end haute cuisine to street food. Variety of people. In a world class city there are people from all around the world with a variety of experiences and cultures. It can be very eye opening to talk to people with different backgrounds. It reminds you how different cultures are in some ways, and how similar people are in other ways. There is a huge variety of entertainment: live music, theater, professional sports. Museums, art, dense built environment. And in general world class cities have an energy to them that is often missing in smaller places. Of course as others have noted it is usually expensive and people either have to earn a high income or make sacrifices in the type of living situation. You generally have less space and privacy. It is harder to get into nature. Some errands are easier (grabbing dinner at a place on your block), but others are tougher (grocery shopping for the week when you don't have easy access to a car). For people who love doing new and different things, big cities are good. For people who prefer to stay closer to home, hang out with a few friends, and be less stressed, generally smaller places are better.

Some people like that environment, other people feel boxed in and trapped. Some people like being able to get lost among millions of people, and others crave the comfort of a smaller place where people recognize you and say hi. I spent time in NYC and it was a bit much for me. I enjoyed it for a little while, but would not have wanted to live there long term. But I've also lived in small towns where I got bored and craved new people to meet, new restaurants to try and a greater variety of options. For me, my ideal environment is probably a denser tier 2 or tier 3 city.

Some people like the suburbs because they have access to the city but more space. Others hate the suburbs b/c of traffic, or b/c they think they are soulless.

I'm rambling a bit, but my point is there are just so many variables that I really think the best thing is for a person to experience different types of places and see what they like. Visit some cities and see if you like the vibe. If so, maybe try to live in one for a while to see if it is your cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 01:57 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
You can't brag about it on C-D! What is the point of living anywhere aside of a world class city if you can't boast about it to anonymous strangers online?

Old 02-02-2016, 10:15 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees46 View Post
I've lived in 2 world class cities, several suburbs and now a small city. I love the energy of the bigger cities, and it's true the recreational and cultural opportunities can't be beat. From a career standpoint, the small city has been great for us. My partner is in a tech field and he's a bigger fish in a smaller pond, which is fine with us. My career is the same, but the lower COL my income goes further. My commute is blissfully short, unlike our time in the suburbs. And since our smaller city is not in the shadow of a big city, and it's a college town, there is plenty to do. I could dine out every night and never go to a chain restaurant. Summer brings lots of festivals and fairs. Public transportation isn't the NYC subway, but my children can grab a bus downtown or to the university any time.

I'm glad I lived in some big cities, but I like the balance of my life in a smaller one. The places I never want to live again: far-flung suburbs. I don't miss that lifestyle one bit.
I'm with you.

I spent my young and single days in a big city, but now that we have kids and have to think about schools, transportation, etc., a small city has been awesome. I have no interest in either my wife or I (or both of us) commuting from a far-flung suburb to a job in a major city center, but we'd never be able to afford the quality of life we have in our small city in New York or Chicago or SF. There are still many things to do, but traffic is easy, we have space, parking is manageable, everything's affordable, etc.

And unlike when I was 23, I don't find myself looking to spend a random Tuesday night eating Indonesian food and checking out an all-female Pakistani noise-rock band covering Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick." As admittedly awesome as that sounds, between work and two small kids, weeknights are for dinner at home and maybe a little Netflix if we're feeling chipper. That'd be true in any town, so I don't know why I'd drop 3 grand a month to do all that in a 1br.

Having said that, if you're young and so-inclined, move to the biggest city you can handle. Make sure you can cover your basics and aren't being a drain on anyone else, financially, but beyond that, be kinda broke and slightly ridiculous. Work odd jobs. Pick up interesting hobbies. Try not to get killed or wreck your credit along the way, but beyond that, live a little. For my money, that beats the heck out of spending your 20s in some suburb of Des Moines and spending your 30s-80s wishing you'd had a little time for adventure.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:51 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
I'm young and I live in a world class city(LA) and originally before moving I used to live in both phoenix and Washington DC...the plus side is that I can always have new exciting places to go, hundreds of amazing restaurants, every singer comes here to play in concert, and it seems as if there is never a dull day. That being said it is really draining on you(being young and in a world class city) both financially and emotionally. It is soooo expensive here, even when I just go out to a local dive bar, plus rent is no joke. Emotionally the people here seem to be a bit more advanced if you know what I mean, more self centered, and a little less genuine...everything is appearance based. I would also like to add on that living in a city with over 4 million people/over 12 million metro you start to feel like a small fish in a big pond, the traffic, and the all around crowdedness of the city can get to you. Side note...For me DC was a lot different, it wasn't as intense and as crazy/big feeling as LA. I really miss living in a non world class city(I used to live in Phoenix). I think living in a city that is not small yet not world class such as Phoenix, San Diego, Denver, Austin,ect. is the best bet for a young person because you still get to be young and wild yet you don't feel drained at the end of the day...world class cities such as LA and NYC I would save for people in their 30s who already have a career.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:04 PM

65 posts, read 45,611 times
Not much, creative people can be entertained anywhere

Only boring people need 24/7 entertainment

I can name a number of mid sized cities with top notch cultural scenes though.... Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Rochester NY, Cleveland

Really, I think that people fall victim to hype to the so called world class cities.

I have lived in many places.... Rochester, Houston, Tampa, Tucson, San Francisco, Portland OR, NYC and LA and the city I had the best time in honestly was Tucson

Old 02-05-2016, 03:33 PM

14 posts, read 16,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
I'm with you.
Having said that, if you're young and so-inclined, move to the biggest city you can handle. Make sure you can cover your basics and aren't being a drain on anyone else, financially, but beyond that, be kinda broke and slightly ridiculous. Work odd jobs. Pick up interesting hobbies. Try not to get killed or wreck your credit along the way, but beyond that, live a little. For my money, that beats the heck out of spending your 20s in some suburb of Des Moines and spending your 30s-80s wishing you'd had a little time for adventure.
How do you advise affording life in a large city while working odd jobs? This appeals to my poetic side, but it certainly sounds difficult!

________
Thanks to all the replies, by the way. There's been a lot of interesting perspectives offered (still digesting all of it!), and the thread has somewhat taken on a life of its own. For the most part, the general consensus seems to be: Major (world class) cities offer more opportunities and the very best of any given opportunity, but also more "restrictions" in many cases (higher stress, higher COL thereby requiring certain types of employment and/or more cramped living arrangements, possible restrictions on amount of time in a day, etc). Additionally, it sounds like the greater amount of opportunities offered in these places—and the superior quality thereof—may not be meaningful on an individual level (compared to higher-tier mid-sized cities) unless you're: looking to break into a location-specific career; looking to live a lifestyle comprised of consistently new or highly-varied experiences; financially successful and looking for the "best of" experience; and/or looking specifically to increase your breadth of life experiences/exposure on at least a short-term basis.

If anyone cares to challenge this summary or provide additional perspectives, then I'm certainly open to learn more (and I'm sure others will benefit as well)! Thanks again.

Last edited by erablink; 02-05-2016 at 03:56 PM..

Old 02-05-2016, 09:35 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erablink View Post
How do you advise affording life in a large city while working odd jobs? This appeals to my poetic side, but it certainly sounds difficult!
I had roommates and kept my expenses manageable. I didn't eat out every meal like some young people do, and I was very careful about unnecessary expenditures. And as for the jobs, I worked a series of part time and freelance jobs, no one of which could have fully supported me. I think at my max I had 5 jobs I worked with some regularity, from an office job to working in a deli to freelance creative work. Between them, I made more than enough to cover the basics. It was lean sometimes, but I got by.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:11 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erablink View Post
If anyone cares to challenge this summary or provide additional perspectives, then I'm certainly open to learn more (and I'm sure others will benefit as well)! Thanks again.
The best way to find out what you might be missing out on in a word-class city is to actually stay in one for a good amount of time.

There is no substitute for experiencing it yourself.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:35 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
It depends on the individual. I've lived in countryside and mid-sized cities, but I'm currently living in Chicago. I've noticed that world class cities are great for people that are driven. There is so much opportunity if you're hungry enough to take advantage of it, otherwise the COL can become oppressive if you're not experiencing the benefits. I've found that if I research, I can find just about any type job here in Chicago or particular store/product I need. The opportunity exists. The cultural institutions are also top notch, worldwide events seem to be more accessible, the mass transit system puts you in closer contact with people from all walks of life. People come to vacation where you live. Very strange.

However, people might be surprised at the diversity that exists in a mid sized metro; I know I was! Now that I've left, I realized I never gave my hometown of Kansas City the credit it deserved. I liked living there, but now when I go back, I realize there is a lot more to do there than I gave it credit for: nice museums, variety of food, some good jobs, tho not the same level of sheer variety. A little more detached from the energy of a world class city. But a mid-sized city can be a great bargain if you are looking for the good life with a sold standard of living.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:54 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
I think answering the OP's question, big cities offer the opportunities for advancement that no where else does. But to get those opportunities (and there aren't really that many of them comparatively), you have to be good, determined, and in the upper percentiles. If you are not, I think you are off, at least bang for buck, in smaller cities. Sure it depends on preferences though.

As far as only a certain percentage of their income going to housing regardless of large or small city, that may be true, but at least in smaller cities, the home ownership rate is much higher, meaning that they have a large net worth at the end of a career while renters do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.