Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 04:20 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times

Advertisements

you will be missing sitting in traffic a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 10:51 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
you will be missing sitting in traffic a lot.
Only if you live in the suburbs and happen to drive. That's the advantage of living inside the city, not just around it. Traffic is far less of a concern if you are on foot and take public transit.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:36 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Only if you live in the suburbs and happen to drive. That's the advantage of living inside the city, not just around it. Traffic is far less of a concern if you are on foot and take public transit.
Unless you live in the heart of LA(like me) in which you will STILL experience constant traffic

Old 02-08-2016, 11:25 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Yes and no. Buses still get stuck in traffic, trains can become so full you have to wait for a couple of them to go by before you can squeeze onto one, etc.

Outside of peak rush hour times, however, you're right.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:48 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
However, people might be surprised at the diversity that exists in a mid sized metro; I know I was! Now that I've left, I realized I never gave my hometown of Kansas City the credit it deserved. I liked living there, but now when I go back, I realize there is a lot more to do there than I gave it credit for: nice museums, variety of food, some good jobs, tho not the same level of sheer variety. A little more detached from the energy of a world class city. But a mid-sized city can be a great bargain if you are looking for the good life with a sold standard of living.
With mid-sized cities, it depends on the city.

Cities above 2 million, like Kansas City and Charlotte, are generally large and diverse enough to offer plenty of amenities and activities yet at a lower cost than living in a major city. Below 2 million and it depends on the place. Louisville and New Orleans are very different from Oklahoma City.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:35 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Yes and no. Buses still get stuck in traffic, trains can become so full you have to wait for a couple of them to go by before you can squeeze onto one, etc.

Outside of peak rush hour times, however, you're right.

Also, let's not forget that living close to work (white collar/creative class) is now a luxury reserved for affluent whites. Unless you make six figures, good luck finding a commute like your morning walk to your Jr High School.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:20 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Also, let's not forget that living close to work (white collar/creative class) is now a luxury reserved for affluent whites. Unless you make six figures, good luck finding a commute like your morning walk to your Jr High School.
Oh please. I point out that there can be traffic issues even when using public transit, but that I generally agreed with what the poster had to say, and that's what you came up with?

I'll take my commute on a bus or the L any day over sitting in gridlock on the Kennedy, but I'm also not going to act like that buses don't get stuck in traffic, including Chicago's express buses on Lake Shore, or that some days I'm not trying to board a train when it looks like this:

Source: Chicago Reader
http://media2.fdncms.com/chicago/ima...ont_magnum.jpg

Old 02-09-2016, 12:44 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
I live in a dense, walkable neighborhood and am a short walk away from the downtown core. The convenience of being able to get to anything I may need by foot/bus is very satisfying. I also love having so many options in terms of places to grab a drink, meal, coffee, etc. For my particular situation in life as an unmarried, child-less dude, I couldn't imagine living anyplace else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.