Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 10:15 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Aren't only 8% of residences in Pittsburgh attached?
About 15% in the city actually. When you also factor in rowhouses which have been subdivided into 2-3 unit structures, rowhouses which have become singletons due to blight, and "fake rows" like this, It's probably more like 20%-25% though.

Out of Pitsburgh's 90 neighborhoods, I'd say around 15-20 of them are either seem dominated by them when walking around on the street, or have substantial sub-neighborhoods dominated by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 10:31 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
About 15% in the city actually. When you also factor in rowhouses which have been subdivided into 2-3 unit structures, rowhouses which have become singletons due to blight, and "fake rows" like this, It's probably more like 20%-25% though.

Out of Pitsburgh's 90 neighborhoods, I'd say around 15-20 of them are either seem dominated by them when walking around on the street, or have substantial sub-neighborhoods dominated by them.
Interesting street view. Reminds me of Newport and Covington in Kentucky. It that was a major city I would vote for it.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:35 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
Don't see how that's relevant Philly doesn't have that big of a latino population either, outside of a few areas. York and Lancaster have almost always had a higher latino population then the rest of the state.
You realize Philly has one of the largest Dominican and Puerto Rican populations even in the Bos-Wash?

Old 09-26-2016, 10:54 AM

159 posts, read 269,535 times
Quote:
You realize Philly has one of the largest Dominican and Puerto Rican populations even in the Bos-Wash?
Are you talking in % or in raw numbers? Based on % Philly is 12% hispanic, a decent but not overly high number, by comparison Harrisburg 21%, York 30% , Lancaster 40%, Reading 58% Philly is closer to Baltimore at 5%.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:56 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Don't see how that's relevant Philly doesn't have that big of a latino population either, outside of a few areas.
Regarding the cities themselves, the Latino population of Philly (14%) is still notably larger than that of Baltimore (5%) or Pittsburgh (3%).

Old 09-26-2016, 11:23 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Although conventional wisdom will say Austin, it just feels more "Texan" than Dallas IMO. There is definitely a degree of generic American culture in Dallas, but even the unique areas don't feel very Texan. The music history of Deep Ellum is not your stereotypical Texas country music. It was a blues neighborhood, which is what most people wouldn't associate with Texas IMO.
Only if they don't know that almost all of the major Texas cities had their own blues scene at some point. In that way Dallas is much like the rest of the state. I certainly agree that it (along with Fort Worth) is the least Texan city in the triangle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think it is the spitting image of west Texas.
By this you certainly mean the Trans-Pecos region, which most Texans would agree is an outlier in the state and more culturally linked to Mexico/New Mexico.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:01 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think it is the spitting image of west Texas.

Also surprised to see Atlanta.
Well in most Texans opinion El Paso has more in common with the interior desert southwest than the rest of Texas.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:26 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
On the other hand, Upstate NY has metros with higher Italian percentages than the NYC metro. In fact, all of the major and some of the smaller Upstate NY metros have higher Italian percentages than than the NYC metro.

Also, the bigger Upstate NY cities(just the city proper) have higher Black percentages than NYC(city proper). In fact, Rochester at 42% Black, has a higher percentage than many Southern cities.

You also have very small Upstate NY cities like Amsterdam and Dunkirk that have high Hispanic percentages. In fact, Dunkirk has NY State's first Hispanic mayor.

So, I say all of this to show that some things that are associated demographically with NYC are visible and maybe even surpassed, in some aspect, in parts of Upstate NY.

Meth is really more of a small town/maybe small city issue in Upstate.

There are ferries between towns in NY and VT around Lake Champlain. There is a ferry between Cape Vincent and I believe Kingston ON Canada as well. Actually, I believe that Plattsburgh NY and Burlington VT share a TV media market.

Public transportation gets good use in the bigger cities and first ring suburbs, as well as the college towns.

There are villages across this part of the state with the stereotypical New England look. Just do a street view of Skaneateles, Cazenovia, Pittsford, Sackets Harbor, Clinton, Hamilton, Lewiston, Cooperstown, Seneca Falls, etc.

The economy will vary depending on the area and industry(health care, higher education, tech, insurance).
I still don't see it. I just do not see NYC in the NY I grew up in.

As a matter of fact I'd like to be as dissociated with NYC as possible.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:00 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Nah nah, that's not what I meant. I mean if you take your average fellow out of NYC and plop them basically anywhere else in the country, people will know they are from NYC. Either by accent or by mention.

You won't really find an "average plain vanilla American" in NYC unless they move there.

As far as awareness perhaps I worded it wrong. I meant regard, respect, interest... that sort of thing. NYC is still all about itself in general. I believe the term "fly-over country" was coined there. There's just an arrogance to NYC that sometimes its residents don't even realize they put forth, and it's not always meant in a rude way it's just there (like how some Texans biasedly compare things to Texas). Exceptions to the rule acknowledged; I am aware that there always are in every situation.

Up here public transit is not seen as a poor people thing so much as it just isn't widely available (unless you are a wine tourist). Plus we, like most of the rest of America, generally have far larger areas to cover for work and life's needs. Honestly public transit here might be too expensive for counties to fund efficiently enough to cover vast rural areas.

New York City is a different world from most of this country and that's fine. My point was just that very few if any upstate cities actually reflect NYC in any significant way. In that I suppose we agreed here. Albany even feels more like a New England city to me than a little NYC clone. Frankly Ithaca feels more like a tiny NYC clone if anything. Ithaca's nickname can run from "the little apple" to "a few miles of crazy surrounded by the real world".

Even Binghamton and Elmira, which have several NYC transplants, don't feel anything like NYC.
Most people born in NYC don't talk like Paulie Walnuts anymore, I don't think I'd stand out too much in most any part of the country where thick Southern accents aren't the norm. Even then they'd just know I wasn't a local, not necessarily that I'm from New York. Of course, if I talked to that person for long enough they would eventually find out more about me.

I agree that many NYCers are arrogant. But people in NYC vary a lot, you have those who fit your description of course, but many people are open to seeing/doing non-NYC things and don't view NYC as the only place of importance.

I've never been to Albany but it seems to sorta resemble a tiny NYC in some ways. Going from the street view, Albany and Schenectady have the kind of high rise apartment buildings that you really only see in the NYC metro.

As for public transit, you're right about that. But it is still true that NYC life is more public transit centric. But then again that's unique to NYC as far as American cities go, every other US city that I know of is automobile dominant.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:55 AM

184 posts, read 235,442 times
Quote:
Quote:
Are you talking in % or in raw numbers? Based on % Philly is 12% hispanic, a decent but not overly high number, by comparison Harrisburg 21%, York 30% , Lancaster 40%, Reading 58% Philly is closer to Baltimore at 5%.
Both are partially right, as Philadelphia does have one of the largest Puerto Rican populations in the country (second after NYC actually). However outside of Ricans, all other Hispanic groups are relatively small in number even Dominicans, tho they are growing fast. Philly's Dominican population is comparatively like Baltimore's percentage-wise (meaning its almost non existent), while Philly's Puerto Rican population is more like New York's percentage wise (strong and very visible part of the city's culture and identity). Now in 2016, Philly is between 14-15% Hispanic, almost 10% of which is Puerto Rican alone (a higher percentage than NYC and most other major cities), the rest is everything else. Also, got to remember Philly is a FAR larger city then say Allentown, Bethlehem, Reading, Lancaster, York, or Harrisburg, so it would take alot more PRs to move to Philly to alter the numbers to resemble similar percentages, and that won't happen soon as Philly is getting the same amount of PR migrants as these smaller Eastern & S. Central PA cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.