Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 03:05 PM

944 posts, read 1,209,663 times

Advertisements

Boston was one of the last cities to pass any kind of desegregation ordinances. There's actually a long history of pretty virulent racism in New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 03:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Not in my experience. I see it going both ways for both directions pretty often.
That's true. For my example about the South, I see it in the forum for my current city of Louisville. That forum would have you believe that equating that city with the South is anathema to the identity. Then in real life you meet people from here and they have no problem equating with the South. A few within the inner ring however vehemently deny the assertion and cling to the Midwest. As a native Midwesterner I find this odd.

But to YOUR example, I will say that in my hometown's Chicago forum there certainly exists this romanticization of Southern states. As if every Chicago problem goes away in the South. As if the South was the answer to Chicago problems. So I do agree now that you put it that way that it goes both ways. I can certainly say I have been guilty of both in the past but nowadays for my present tastes the North wins out as far as ideal for my life.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Boston was one of the last cities to pass any kind of desegregation ordinances. There's actually a long history of pretty virulent racism in New England.
Yup and I mentioned that in my last post. And also like I said not all of the Northeast is thin but certainly most of those states do better than the South. It doesn't beat the West in that regard, however. If you went to Philly your idea of the Northeast only wouldn't be the same. Same as in Boston. That's I was careful to say Northeast as a whole.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:45 PM

66 posts, read 52,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't know about Detroit either, I'm fairly sure the rest of the state looks at Detroit the way TN looks at Memphis, like it's the black sheep in the family.
I live in Tennessee and it is so true! Tennessee is trying to shed Memphis from it's reputation and boast about Nashville.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:10 AM

10,208 posts, read 15,912,728 times
The Northern and Eastern Panhandles of West Virginia are extremely different from the rest of the state.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:11 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I realize that....
You're right Miami is a white city..good lord give me a break.

Have you ever even been to miami?

(this was much earlier in the thread) My argument earlier in the threat was that it had a low non hispanic white population compared to the rest of the state. This is true and I'm not sure why the other guy is trying to argue that, it's a fact not an opinion. No one said anything about just plain white, I said non hispanic white.
Oops, did not realise I already replied to this. I can't delete the post so I'm just editing it... ladi da!

Old 05-12-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Okay but it has much more of a Hispanic presence culturally regardless of race than most other cities do in Florida(thus the over 60 percent of the population speaking Spanish at home). The city is 67 percent Hispanic and most major cities in Florida are barely 20 percent Hispanic. Miami is clearly a Latin American city and the culture almost dominates the city. Places like Jacksonville, Tampa(not so much tampa as the other two), and Tallahassee have much more of a middle of the country feel. Miami is much more image obsessed, international, and much more progressive than the rest of the state. I understand where you are coming from but I think the city really does stand out from the rest of the state. The New York Times even once said "The great thing about Miami is how close it is to the United States. The worst thing about Miami is how close it is to Florida. It's the capital of Latin America, home to cocaine cowboys, and a place where LeBron is(was) king and Gloria Estefan is always relevant."

PS: Part of my family is Latino of African and European ancestry and they marked white(even though they are mixed) on their census forum yet they look like your typical biracial American so the whole 70 percent of Miami identifies as just white is very subjective for the sake of this argument(even though you are right I didn't clarify it) the 11 percent was in reference to non-hisapnic white. Also I don't really know why you are trying to make this argument that Miami is like the rest of florida(although I see where you are coming from) and want Miami to not be unique because it really is unique/stands out and the rest of Florida compete with it culturally.
There are definitely Hispanics that are visbily mixed Afro and European (Light skin, sometimes light eyes, but nappy hair or African shaped nose) who maybe identify as "white" but there's a lot who are pretty much just flat out European. Even if they have some Sub-Saharan African DNA, its too small to notice so they're pretty much just white. Especially a lot of the old Cuban men and women. Many of them have parents or grandparents born in Spain. Many Cubans have not been in Cuba for that many generations, not unlike many Americans. I myself have 6% Sub-Saharan African DNA according to a test I took but you would never know lol. I easily pass as the typical American white guy. I also got a lot of Northwestern European DNA so even among many white Cubans, which are overwhelmingly Southern European in origin, I look "lighter" and "less Meditteranean." The fun part is when old Mexican coworkers at work try to talk crap in Spanish thinking I don't know. I went off on one in Spanish cuz he got on my last nerves as my shift was ending, and he shut right up

I do agree Miami fits in more with Latin America culturely, but if we're only talking about the context of the US, it has nowhere to go but Florida. Though in a couple of decades... it might go into the Atlantic.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if you didn't read my initial response to you 5 months ago but I said "PS: Part of my family is Latino of African and European ancestry and they marked white(even though they are mixed) on their census forum yet they look like your typical biracial American so the whole 70 percent of Miami identifies as just white is very subjective for the sake of this argument(even though you are right I didn't clarify it) the 11 percent was in reference to non-hisapnic white" haha but gotta love people who say judgmental things about people they don't know anything about. As I said before...I come from a mixed family, I think I know that Hispanics are not a race...I'm prety sure most people do. LA LA anthony and Shakira are both hispanic but they are both clearly not the same race. What I was trying to say is that Miami is 11 percent non-hispanic white. A good amount of Hispanic and non hispanic whites are pretty different culturally...and a lot of hispanic whites are not full white. They had an interesting article a while back about hispanics who were mixed with white/black who marked white on the US census....hell I even have family members that do that. A lot of Americans have an odd view about race, and if someone is mainly white but mixed with another race they are often viewed as not white by American culture. For example, my friend from LA just came back from Miami (white American) and said he felt uncomfortable in Miami because there "weren't any white people" (idiotic comment IK). My comment was not to deny you of your European heritage LOL... nor did I ever say Hispanics were a race. My main point was that Miami is different culturally/ethnically/ect than Northern/central florida, yet you wanted to turn my comment into some controversial argument, I love citydata.

I apologise, I had not seen that reply until today.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
There are definitely Hispanics that are visbily mixed Afro and European (Light skin, sometimes light eyes, but nappy hair or African shaped nose) who maybe identify as "white" but there's a lot who are pretty much just flat out European. Even if they have some Sub-Saharan African DNA, its too small to notice so they're pretty much just white. Especially a lot of the old Cuban men and women. Many of them have parents or grandparents born in Spain. Many Cubans have not been in Cuba for that many generations, not unlike many Americans. I myself have 6% Sub-Saharan African DNA according to a test I took but you would never know lol. I easily pass as the typical American white guy. I also got a lot of Northwestern European DNA so even among many white Cubans, which are overwhelmingly Southern European in origin, I look "lighter" and "less Meditteranean." The fun part is when old Mexican coworkers at work try to talk crap in Spanish thinking I don't know. I went off on one in Spanish cuz he got on my last nerves as my shift was ending, and he shut right up

I do agree Miami fits in more with Latin America culturely, but if we're only talking about the context of the US, it has nowhere to go but Florida. Though in a couple of decades... it might go into the Atlantic.
I am 100% swarthy Iberian (Spanish/Portuguese) and people who are Latino still don't ever assume I can understand Spanish. I have the dark features, too. Yet many people who are Italian or sometimes Balkan usually assume I speak it. And even then not all the time. Funny how that works. I think if I went to Miami I would probably pass as a Cuban since people will guess that one before any other Latin thing. That or Puerto Rican.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:51 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
El Paso reminds me more of ABQ/Tucson than any other major city in Texas like Dallas,Fort Worth,Houston,San Antone, and Austin.Also Carlsbad,Hobbs, Artesia,Clovis,Portales,Lovington and Roswell in the Land of Enchantment seem like they fit in more with Texas than New Mexico.I think that part of America's Land of Enchantment is even called "Little Texas".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.