Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:00 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I don't know, Tucson feels pretty Arizona like to me, although I can see where you might lump it in with New Mexico. I think Tucson feels extremely southwestern. Phoenix city proper leans more democratic than Republican by the way, it's just all the suburbs that are super conservative.
Phoenix only barely leans Democratic, and that is only in recent years. Tempe is actually the most liberal city in the Phoenix metro area, however, even they are only center-left and not truly liberal compared to Tucson or Flagstaff. However, Mesa, Gilbert, and Peoria are super conservative as you stated, while Chandler, Glendale, and Scottsdale are center-right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 11:01 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Tucson is Arizona. Desert city, mountain backdrop, hot summers with a monsoon season, native and Mexican influences, laid out on a giant grid, military/defense influence, etc

Obviously a different city than Phoenix. Politics are a little different, smaller, more resistant to development, more generational in population.

However, cities can have differences and still be representative of their state.

Besides there are saguaros in Tucson. Only one state has 'em.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:16 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
My Aunt & Uncle lives in Tucson and anybody whoever
took a road trip has memories about Flagstaff and the
GRAND CANYONS , however all three just seen like locations from another state to me.

PHOENIX now that's AZ...

Old 02-13-2016, 11:45 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Many people say this about Jacksonville. We're really more like southern GA than FL (is how that debate goes). And while it's an exaggeration, it does have some basis of truth.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Austin always seemed stereotypical Texan to me. It has the low taxes-low services, closest fit of a large city for "non diverse" (by Texas standards)* dominated by non-Hispanic Whites, urban sprawl, and car dependency. Austin doesn't stand out much compared to the rest of the major metropolitan areas of the Texas triangle, although it is more popular.

*Depends on who you ask. I've heard both extremes of this sort of stereotype for Texas, as both extremely diverse and extremely lacking in diverse.
Texarr Cities under 2 million population usually aren't that Hip ( Austin ) is. As a matter of fact there are two cities
under 2 Million Population that are actually HIP , Austin
& Las Vegas and Las Vagas is a ( Train Wreck ). AUSTIN
is in no way your typical TEXARR CITY it's the hippest
liveable Metro Under 2 Million Population in the USA...

Old 02-14-2016, 10:53 AM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Memphis
Louisville
Philadelphia
Arlington
Pensacola
Panama City

Old 02-14-2016, 11:40 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I think every blue city in a red state has a lot of tension with state govt as they pay more than anyone else in taxes but are then forced to bow down to rural mindsets.

In Kentucky is usually Louisville and Lexington vs the rest of the state. KY state politicians won't let them have just a 1% local option sales tax that even red states like Texas and Oklahoma use to fund great projects, allow their police officers have 12 hour shifts, or destroy illegal guns confiscated by police - they are forced to resale the guns at gun shows. It's going to get uglier as after 8 years of a moderate Democrat governor KY just elected a far right wing governor that widely lost the two most populous counties. He wants to cut university funding 10%, cut all arts funding, allow tax dollars for private schools that don't teach evolution, eliminate all state environmental protection, massively cut transportation spending etc. Of course no cuts were made to the state park for the confederate president's birthplace (very essential) and he increased funding for state police. He may end up being worse for Kentucky than Sam Brownback has been to Kansas.

I recently moved from KY in the IN side of greater Louisville and appreciate the moderate Republican govt. They've raised the gas tax to fund road projects, increased education funding, and mostly avoided social issue witch-hunts. The religious rights law was bad but quickly repealed.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:50 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
As many have mentioned, Louisville definitely is one. But I wouldn't go as far as Lexington. Lexington is liberal, has a gay mayor, lots of college students, etc. Many of the UK students come from places like Chicago and are very liberal. There seems to be a much higher number of minorities there with the college students. Definitely more visible East Asians around UK than anywhere I've seen in Louisville. But the state's obsession with UK sports allows Lexington to develop a lot. Most of the state uses Lexington for their shopping and cultural activities. They are big UK fans (even though they never went to college). They like the small town quaint feeling of Lex and find Lou to be too big and scary for them. So the state is able to develop Lex more from what I can see. Either way, there's a love for Lex around the state, but a disdain for Lou outside of the Louisville Metro.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:59 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Texarr Cities under 2 million population usually aren't that Hip ( Austin ) is. As a matter of fact there are two cities
under 2 Million Population that are actually HIP , Austin
& Las Vegas and Las Vagas is a ( Train Wreck ). AUSTIN
is in no way your typical TEXARR CITY it's the hippest
liveable Metro Under 2 Million Population in the USA...
I am unsure why you are spelling it as Texarr. But anyway, um, your only argument seems to be that Austin is hip. That isn't much of an argument, but okay. Parts of Austin being hip may largely be a result of Austin having basically been a college town. Parts of Denton, somewhat of a college town, is also hip, Austin just happens to be bigger.

That said, each of large Texas' cities have something stereotypically associated with them. Austin is hip, Houston is oil, Dallas is corporate businesses, San Antonio is the riverwalk and established Hispanic population, and El Paso is, uh, lucky to be remembered. Basically, my point is that Austin being considered "hip" isn't enough to differentiate it from the rest of Texas' metros, any more than the characteristics of the other cities.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I am unsure why you are spelling it as Texarr. But anyway, um, your only argument seems to be that Austin is hip. That isn't much of an argument, but okay. Parts of Austin being hip may largely be a result of Austin having basically been a college town. Parts of Denton, somewhat of a college town, is also hip, Austin just happens to be bigger.

That said, each of large Texas' cities have something stereotypically associated with them. Austin is hip, Houston is oil, Dallas is corporate businesses, San Antonio is the riverwalk and established Hispanic population, and El Paso is, uh, lucky to be remembered. Basically, my point is that Austin being considered "hip" isn't enough to differentiate it from the rest of Texas' metros, any more than the characteristics of the other cities.

Agreed the only thing that HIP will do for Austin TX is make it grow at a alarming rate....

Tons of educated young adults will flood into Austin making it the Hippest Livable City In The USA.

Last thought LAS VEGAS is as HIP or more hip as Austin , but it's not Livable of these two cities
which one is the better of the two to move to and start a New Life??? Oh forgot all about Portland OR the only city that I think is really like Austin....Austin Economy appears to be better than
Portland OR , so as Austin pulls ( Economy wise farther ahead of Portland OR) who's the best
HIP City in America to actually live in?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.